Welsh produce in England

make them yourself. absolutely beautiful. there are plenty of recipes around. I used my mums and although I added a tad too much water, the taste was ‘just like Nannas’.

2 Likes

Indeed there is! Some really nice fizz, Glyndwr vineyard for one. Come to that, I once met a Scot from the Scottish Malt Whisky Society who admitted that Penderyn was really good.

4 Likes

@andygildon : that’s good! (x2)

(and praise indeed from a Scotsman)

2 Likes

Welsh cakes! now you’re talking. I think I’ll have to make some soon. What’s the Welsh for Welsh cakes? Does anyone know- Cachen Cymraeg perhaps?

1 Like

I’ve heard ‘teisen gri’ but I’m afraid our dog’s more likely to have an accurate view😀

(Can’t spell in either language!)

1 Like

Pice bach or Pice ar y maen which basically tranlates as little pieces or pieces on a stone as Welsh cakes are usually cooked on a griddle or maybe a heavy based ftrying pan.
At one time it was traditional for every Welsh home to have a tin of Welsh cakes which were always offered to visitors with a cup of tea at any time they visited. My mother always made Welsh cakes every week and my sister still does. I had an aunt who made Welsh cakes using 3lb of flour every week.
I still make them but not that often unfortunately.
By the way try them with cheese, they are superb.

3 Likes

Loads of different names - Cacs bach, cage bach in addition to those mentioned by @llanddinol !

1 Like

There used to be a small one in Rhossili (Gower), but I think it has gone now. I quite liked the wine, but it wasn’t prize winning!! On another subject, I have to admit that I’m not that fond of Welsh cakes!!

1 Like

Hmm, I remembered one blog of one twitter friends of mine who made those Welsh cakes for himself. Let’s see if I still can find it …

No, I can’t find this. His twitter acount has gone and miraculasly his Wordpress blog post in which he had put the recepy on aswell. … I’m a bit sorry I couldn’t find this though.

I’d probably like them, but not good for low-carbers. I definitely like bara brith, and that’s definitely not good for low-carbers, or probably anyone watching their weight.

1 Like

Rather tell me what good is for those who are watching their weight. As much as I recall all good things are of those which with you easily add some to the weight … bara, cakes, bisquits etc, etc … :slight_smile: and I so love all sorts of cakes though.

“The best things in life are illegal, immoral, or fattening”. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I made Welsh Cakes! Looked at several recipes on the internet, and ended up with these. How do they look?

They are quite delicious! Now I just have to keep myself from eating too many… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

One is missing, can’t you see? I’ve taken it. - hehe :slight_smile:

On the sirious note: it looks delicious. :slight_smile: You jsut eat them while they’re fresh. I believe they’re the best right now … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Now you need to make clotted cream. :wink: Oh, and they look yummy.

2 Likes

Blasus iawn! Da iawn ti! :yum:

2 Likes

Anyone heard of Parson’s Pickles? Or Hactos cough mixture? Both produced in my home town of Burry Port!
I never use to see Parson’s pickles being sold locally years ago but when I lived in Oxford around 1987-1988 I saw them on shelves around shops in Oxford! Now I see them in local supermarkets.

1 Like

Fantastic! Mine always look like the dog or the Grandkids have savaged them. Wait a minute …,

3 Likes

They look right about perfect as I know them. if they taste half as good as they look… yum yum.

1 Like

Looks like someone’s had a crafty bite and thought we wouldn’t notice! :slight_smile:

2 Likes