Welsh National Eisteddfod Bae Caerdydd/Cardiff Bay 3 - 11/08/2018

I’m going to make a week of it too.
I’m working in Barry at the moment and staying in digs so have booked the week off. I will commute daily to soak up as much Cymraeg as possible. it will be like an unofficial bwtcamp.
I have never visited the Rhondda so that could be interesting.

I

1 Like

Yep, definitely up for a SSIW hangout/meetup @Nicky. @aran has previously organised a stall in the Maes D (called Shw mae Caerdydd this year). Once the Maes D programme is arranged we can suggest a couple of day/times based on that…

2 Likes

I’m planning on being there for several days at least. I’m staying with my daughter but would love to come along to any SSIW get-togethers.

1 Like

It was actually an arrangement with the film company behind a programme for learners called Hwb. They set up the stand in Maes D, and SSiW helped to run it, so it was a really useful collaboration. They don’t do it any more so we haven’t had any kind of official presence at the Eisteddfod for a few years.

I haven’t seen any information yet on tickets for the evening event where the Winner of the Dysgwr y Flwyddyn competition is announced, but maybe @Nicky will hear about that before too long. It would be great to have a good number of SSiWers there to support our finalists!

4 Likes

In the initial application I recall hearing that the awards were to be given out on the Thursday night at the Cardiff and Vale college - although on the Eisteddfod website, this has now changed to the Wednesday night - so I guess things might be a bit up in the air.

It was suggested that we get a free ticket as the competitor and we get a chance to buy tickets for friends and family before they go on general sale through the Eisteddfod website - but I’m not 100% sure.

I would say keep an eye on this thread, and as soon as I know anything - I will let everyone know. If I do get access to such a “friends and family” early link - I will put it up, or arrange to sort anyone who wants to come, out in some fashion :slight_smile:

4 Likes

OK - So my question got answered pretty quickly, fair play to them.

If anyone wishes to come down to take part in the day, the Wednesday is going to be the day you are going to want to be down in Cardiff Bay.

Wednesday:
1pm to 2pm: Q&A session with the finalists at what used to be Maes D, but is now going to be “Shwmae Caerdydd” in the Pierhead Building.

7pm: The Award Dinner at “Y Dosbarth” which is here http://www.theclassroom.wales/

So thats our info for now, but when I know more again - I will update it here.

NOTE: All of these timings are likely to change, but the idea remains the same

2 Likes

Are there usually a lot of things that happen during the day? I’m trying to decide whether to take time off work, or just come for the weekend and evenings.

There’s things happening all the time. I’d invest in a brochure which explains what’s happening where and when. It may even be on line. Because the different venues are more spread out than conventionally I think there may be an element of no one knowing what’s going on, but there are competitions and exhibitions and talks and coffee stops all over the place. But if you’ve never been before it’s worth researching fairly thoroughly if you’re thinking of going by yourself. Quite often SSIW have a get together and it’s worth while aiming for that.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s good to know. I’ll try and get some time off work then.

Hi groovy SSIWers. To help people understand more about the origins of the National Eisteddfod, I asked Gareth Thomas, author of historical fiction Myfi, Iolo (I, Iolo) to write about how it all started and in the involvement of Iolo Morganwg, who revitalised the ancient traditions in 1792, but it turned out later on that a lot of what Iolo claimed wasn’t based on fact!
I learnt a lot from reading it anyway…

3 Likes

So I may be able to come down to stay at my brothers’ house in Caerdydd on the weekend of the 4th of August. Will there be events happening that weekend? I can’t seem to find any comprehensive list or program of what is actually happening other than what is on the website (which makes me think I’m being blind, or either very stupid!) I’d love to be able to see some music gigs, but it looks like that’s only starting the latter part of the week…

I’ve just booked the week off work. Looking forward to a whole week of Cymraeg. :smiley:

4 Likes

Hi Martin - On the first Saturday there is an afternoon programme at Caffi Maes B

… and the opening Cymdeithas gig at Clwb Ifor
https://cymdeithas.cymru/steddfod
I suspect buying in advance for the Bryn Fon gig would be advisable.

1 Like

Also, Crumblowers are reforming to play the first evening of Llwyfan y Maes:

1 Like

Diolch @robbruce for all the info!

It looks as if it is shaping up to be ab interesting Eisteddfod!

I think it’s pretty clear to us by now that we won’t be able to commit to being there. As many of you know, Aran’s mum is now living with us. Before she came we anticipated that moderate family holidays away would continue as normal. But unfortunately, now that she’s been here a few months and her condition seems to have deteriorated, we realise that we are unable to leave her for more than one night at a time. I may be able to persuade Aran to come down for a night i’r so, but we’ll see… :wink:

1 Like

Sorry to hear that Aran’s mam is not doing so well. Maybe once she’s a bit more of a fixture, you’ll be able to get the local community to look in on her for a couple of days or a weekend or whatever.

I won’t be down in Cardiff for more than a day visit either. We lost all the money we had set aside for holidays this year due to an unfortunate set of very expensive circumstances, so we can’t afford to go away. And, in any case, the whole ‘distributed’ nature of the Eisteddfod with the maes carafannau being a bus ride away from everything doesn’t really appeal. I only hope my absence doesn’t lead to bankruptcy for the Bar Syched! :wink:

1 Like

Diolch Rob!

Though she has many physical health issues, it’s the early signs of dementia which are causing the most concern. So a challenging journey ahead. But we’re pulling all our available resources and taking each day as it comes. Unfortunately, we do live out in the sticks, which doesn’t help things from her perspective. Anyway, we expect next year’s eisteddfod will be much easier. Diolch!

2 Likes

Taking it in my hands to start talking about some form of SSIW meetup.

I guess the obvious choices would be:

1. On the first weekend or the last weekend when most SSIWers are likely to be about. @neilrowlands is doing an appearance in Maes D on the opening weekend that lots of us will be at. After or before that?

2. Following or before @elizabeth_j_corbett_ s Maes D appearance as lots of us will be about and attending that.

When are fellow SSIWers attending! And we can start planning something!

3 Likes

I’d prefer an evening. But based in Cardiff so otherwise flexible.

1 Like

The usual day is the Thursday because it’s tradionally learners’ day. We’ll be going to Caerdydd on one day so I’ll to see what’s happening before penciling it in.

1 Like