Welsh for Dogs help?

Hello! New student here, working on learning Northern Welsh.

I figured I would teach my dog Welsh at the same time, and was wondering if someone could help with the following cues:

Sit
Lie down
Stand up
Stay
Pick it up
Give it to me
Leave it alone
Go right
Go left
Good dog
Stop that

Any assistance is deeply appreciated, since I live in a very rural part of the US most of my Welsh speaking is with my dogs!

S’mae Andrea?

I’ll have a go at some of these!

Also ty’d 'ma! is come here!
Dos 'mlaen! is go on!
Hwyl,

Stu

My dog is bilingual - he often ignores me in both Welsh and English!

5 Likes

Just to fine tune a bit on Stu’s good stuff - you’d usually hear just ‘Eista’ and ‘Gorwedd’, and probably ‘Saf’ for stand up - definitely ‘Aros’ for wait, maybe ‘Coda fo’ for pick it up, often ‘Dyro fo’ instead of the more ‘correct’ rho fo - ‘gad iddo’ or ‘gad lonydd iddo’ for leave it.

Not sure I’ve ever actually heard anyone say ‘Ci da’, although it’s entirely technically correct - our dogs have always got ‘Hogyn da’ - dunno what you might hear down in the south, though…

I just scrolled down far enough to find this!! I speak , er, try to speak this weird mix of de and gog. mainly southern words in an accent north of the heads of the valleys. Could iestyn tell me how to talk to my bitch in a ‘southern’ way? She is called Toffi and, so far, “Toffi dda!” and “'ma ti!” is about my limit!! from Jackie

1 Like

I try to use my very limited Welsh daily on my dog, with sometimes hilarious results.

The other day, for some reason I mixed up the Welsh for two simple words “dog” and “meat”. So my question to the hen gi was “Wyt ti’n moyn cerdded, Mister Cig?”

When I realised what I’d said, I had visions of me dragging a Welsh Black Beefsteak on the end of a lead. It was certainly a LOL moment!

5 Likes

Glad I’m not the only one to mix up “ci” and “cig”.
(Haven’t actually got to the point of taking a nice joint of beefsteak for a walk though). :slight_smile:

hm…wonder what the Welsh for “dog-meat” would be…?

2 Likes

Just a thought, it’s handy (in England, anyway) to be able to say "Paid â lyfu dy ben ôl / fiji bo) to your dog. Well, to mine, anyway. Must get out those worming tablets, it might solve half the problem😜

1 Like

I suspect it’s anal glands, not worms!! My dogs have always hated having them done and I’m ashamed, I always get the vet to do it!! My first little bitch used to exit to the waiting room telling everyone in a clear voice, “Don’t go in there! He’s vicious!!” Next trip to vet, she’d have to be dragged into the surgery. That time wouldn’t be for glands. After that, she’d trot happily in to see the vet, until the next time she had to have her glands done!!

Yup, love it, been there😃 I recognise the signs but fortunately (??) this time it’s a bit of squirty bottom. Sorry to burden everyone with that. I once took our previous dog, a big collie/seter cross, to the vets for ‘that’ visit. The vet was a tough Aussie woman and the conversaton went;
“What can we do for Tom this morning?”
“He needs an intra-nasal for kennel cough and his anal glands are blocked”
“Aw buggah! Doesn’t get any better for a Monday morning, mate”

1 Like

Try weetabix for his breakfast for a week , though you may need more poo bags…It does seem to ease their symptoms and prevent the dreaded visit. Hope it helps!
Anne

Thanks Anne, great tip. He’s ok now, diolch byth, we’d changed his food and his poor old tum took a while to calm down. However, if I’m up at 1:40, 3:40 and 4:30 again tonight, it’ll be Weetabix and no 'extras’:smiley:

Ok, that was a thread I wish I hadn’t read. It was like a car crash … Horrible but I couldn’t look away. :astonished:

3 Likes

Me too. Even as a dog lover/owner, I found it hard to ANALyse my feelings :blush:

3 Likes

:poop: … :smirk_cat: