Welsh Citizenship Test

Gutted only got 22 out of 27…Bad there’s no Welsh language version… Good that it does have more depth than the U.K test though. :smile:

2 Likes

I got one wrong, but I suspect that a stewards enquiry would find in my favour…

"Who was the last native born Prince of Wales indeed. The clue was in the picture, being the statue of one Llywelyn ap Gruffydd in Llanymddyfri. Unfortuantely, that is a different one, being Llywelyn ap Gruffydd Fychan.

But I think that most people would consider Owain Glyndŵr as both “native born” and “Prince of Wales”.

Anyway, thanks for wasting 5 minutes of my life, Kim!!!

4 Likes

I got 19. I wasn’t too offended by that score!

I started but had to give up because I was laughing too much

2 Likes

Discounting Owain Glyndŵr (which would be wrong, but some people would) there is an argument that Llywelyn the Last’s brother Dafydd ap Gruffydd was (confusingly) the last Prince. He only led for a matter of months, spent that time on the run, and crucially never had his papers lodged with the Pope (who knew you had to fill in an application form to become the feudal leader of a country?), but he could nevertheless be called Tywysog. More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dafydd_ap_Gruffydd

1 Like

The devil is in the details.

As you say, Dafydd ap Gruffydd is a contender.

Owain Glyndwr was (effectively for a few years) possibly more of an independent leader than even Llewelyn ap Gruffydd, not owing any allegiance to the king of England (but possibly did to the king of France, but never mind! :wink: )

But if you just take the title, which can mean many different things, Henry V [“for I was born in Monmouth, Fluellen!” orwhatever!] has a little bit of a claim to it.

Basically the title changes tremendously, meaning something completely different depending on who is claiming it!

But Henry VII [born in Pembroke, brought up in Raglan (until the age of ?16?) a home of Welsh culture at the time] in his proclamations described himself as “King of England, Prince of Wales and Lord of Ireland.”

Possibly making him the last one.

But yes, I would go with Owain Glyndwr as the last one to hold the title in any meaningfully significant way.

[ edit- although, the way that Henry VII’s Welsh roots- and the fact he came from a family which were immensely important in Wales- in some ways the inheritors of the title Prince of Wales, is written out of British History to turn them into unimportant “Welsh squires”, (a ridiculous way to look at them) means I rather regret my saying his claim to the title was not “meaningfully significant”. In a lot of ways it was :wink: ]

[and @robbruce best wishes, get well soon and all that!]

1 Like

I got an embarrassingly low score, but did laugh out loud a few times, so it’s not all bad. :slight_smile:

2 Likes