Welsh - a new design

Its in the SSI website Account Kim, not in your Forum account.

Hwyl,

stu

1 Like

Cheers, Stu, I’ve just found it…

1 Like

Hello…from an Android tablet (not sure if the new design will affect my view)

My first impression on seeing the websites theme/banner colour was, its very red…which I always find off putting: personal taste. But you nice people have given as a choice and so I’ve gone for the blue which works for me…Felly, diolch!!!
The access to the lessons looks really good too and is easily navigable. Really good you can instantly switch from between the northern and southern courses…
As I’m of to the pub now I’ll have a better look tomorrow.

1 Like

Looks good, clean and easily navigable to me :thumbsup:
Gwaith da, Ifan & Aran :seren aur:

I half expected to see the forum “look and feel” change, too

1 Like

Helo

Helo!

Um, Aran, If I try it will I get stuck in it, in red which makes my head ache? I still get into Spanish when I log in!! If it is safe and I can get out again…and…if it can be in green…then:-

Helo!

You can change the colour to blue or green…on the new site. I felt the red didn’t work for me.

You have 2 squers on the left - if you’re on red color at the moment one of them is green and the other is blue. If you click on one of them the color will change and will remain the same whenever you come to the site.

Well I don’t have access to new Cymraeg site yet but I believe it doesn’t work differently regarding look and feel like Spanish one does.

Happy coloring your life (sites) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looking around the new site it hit me that the Challenges go straight to the old course rather than the new one and that new people might overlook this…

1 Like

As is on Spanish.

I’d love to have access to both no matter I’ve already downloaded old material to my computer. :slight_smile:

But, yes, new material should be first presented and old has only to be optional somewhere to find them.

But this is the matter of fine tunning with the help of us “Beta Testers” :slight_smile:

1 Like

(Belatedly)
Hello.

2 Likes

This may be a minor issue, but the lesson pages give no indication what course you’re in. i.e Course 1, Course 2, etc.

I would like to see the site be able to remember where you left off and go there automatically when you revisit. I think Aran mentioned before thus might be forthcoming. If so, then the above issue would be more important as it gives confirmation exactly where you’re at.

1 Like

Yo. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve just had a play with the new layout, and I’m loving the neatness of the pages. I also like how you can change the colour of the main bar - I’ve chosen green!

I have found some broken links in the FAQ section - the “Becoming Fluent” and “Why SSiW exists” reports do not open - I think the links are set to the actual FAQ page, as they’re definitely there, but nothing happens when you click on them!

In the “Where can I find the lesson guides…” section, both Course 3 lesson guides are missing - each page opening up an error page reading “401 Unauthorized: temp URL invalid”. All other guides open well and are present - including the Level 1 southern guide (for those who were requesting it!).

In the “How do I get more speaking practice.” section, the “DoSomethinginWelsh” link opens up to reveal that the page doesn’t exist!

In the ffrinDiaith section, under the “What shall we talk about.” heading, I noticed that in the English section, the BBC website link in the “print an article from…” text, goes to an English page, while the Golwg360 page goes to Cymraeg pages, yet the Cymraeg section have links to Cymraeg versions on both sites. I’m not sure if this was deliberate, but it seemed a little odd (this was probably in place before the new layout was implemented, but I only just noticed!)

One suggestion I would make, and this is just a preference really, is where a link takes you away from the SSi site, it could open a new window or tab, possibly with a pop-up message (which can be switched off by clicking a box) to warn of this, and maybe even with a preference link so the user decides if they would prefer a new window or tab to open or not. That way, the SSi site stays open on the users browser and they won’t need to click the back button however many times to return to the SSi site, as it will still be open in another window or tab.

I also like the idea of making vocabulary available on each lesson page too, and I think this will be a useful too once it is operational.

So yes, this new layout gets the thumbs up from me!

2 Likes

Good suggestion!

Helo!

Fashionably late as always. :wink:

3 Likes

Helo!

1 Like

Helo

1 Like