Visual vs audio learners

But Bwtcamp first-timers should be slightly worried if one of the activities is basket weaving? :wink:

2 Likes

I think it would be better, on the whole, if they remained calm and peaceful, and just accepted the inevitable.

2 Likes

I do something similar to Jenny - I try to relate the Welsh word I’m trying to learn to a word or words in English, and accompany them with a visual image. Example…the Welsh word for “run” sounds like “red egg”. For some reason that particular word just wouldn’t stick in my brain, so I imagined a huge red egg which has sprouted legs, running up the road past my window. I’ll never forget that now. Only AFTER I’d learnt the word by this method, did I look it up in the dictionary and see that it’s spelt “rhedeg”.

I try not to write anything down at any stage (it’s been difficult, and I have to constantly stop myself from reaching for pen and paper!), because the SSi “audio” system really DOES seem to work. I find that writing things down just gets in the way of learning.

2 Likes

I sympathise with you. My wife is a native Welsh speaker and I often find out, later rather than sooner, that I am making errors in pronunciation.

HOWEVER - it doesn’t matter because Eirwen can understand me and knows exactly what I mean even when I mis-pronounce.

Also the proof of the pudding is in the eating - I can speak Welsh and Eirwen and I can speak Welsh together.

So try if you can to avoid looking at the word list until you have listened to the lesson the first time. Dare yourself.

It doesn’t matter at all if you are making mistakes or if you are mis-pronouncing. It is more likely a sign that you are making fantastic progress.

And it wasn’t until I was a teenager that I discovered that ‘‘Wednesday’’ had a ‘‘d’’ in it. So much for making mistakes and I’m still alive to tell the story!!

Justin

2 Likes

Some Slovene native speakers never in their life realize that “petdeset” (50) has that “t” in so they constantly say “pedeset” and “šestdeset” (60) is about the same. So, yes, so much for making mistakes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Spot on - walking, driving (but be safe), housework - all of these are very valuable to do whilst listening and responding to the lessons.

Hwyl,

Stu

3 Likes

A cult looking for a home perhaps - when not in the Llyn peninsula, I think there is a crystal cathedral going for a song somewhere in Southern California

Justin

2 Likes

Or perhaps a wee bit more like Alcoholics Anonymous? I just got an image of a meeting hall where someone gets up and says “My name is David and I’m a visual learner. But I’ve been auditory for the last 6 weeks and right now I’m just taking things one day at a time”

4 Likes

According to my daughter who was with me on my first boot camp, yes!

2 Likes

That would be because of the “burnt offerings” I expect. :smiling_imp:

Well, according to a book I read once, the socialigical definition of a cult is a group of people who gather around one central leader, so… :smile:

God, I hope not!

That wouldn’t be good, for all sorts of reasons!

I think the fact that SSiW is thought of as a tremendously effective thing by people of differing opinions without it being thought of as perfect and the Only One True Way is, in my opinion, its strength. It can appeal to everybody, and thus help everybody in their journey.

That’s what I’ve found through talking to everyone I know learning Welsh, anyway. Even if people don’t think SSiW is perfect on it’s own, I’ve not found anyone using it who doesn’t think it is one of the best resources out there.

And in my opinion, if for some strange reason you were limited to only one resource, I’d recommend SSiW.

Maybe that sounds excessive, but it is true. And that may make me seem tremendously proselytising, which isn’t in my nature normally, but it’s in a good cause!

1 Like

Can someone smite the unbeliever for me, please? I’m a little too busy trying to get the kids to eat some burnt offerings. They’ll never grow up to be omni-anything-at-all if they don’t eat their burnt offerings.

5 Likes

I, Tatjana the Annoying defend this one, master. This unbeliever MUST live! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, I took your advice and ran through lesson 11 without looking! I think you’re right, this method is actually better. I found myself listening more closely to the audio since I didn’t have the written forms as backup in my head, and thinking more about the meaning than the words themselves, if that makes sense. I’m going to stick with this and see how it goes.

3 Likes

Another one converted! :wink:

Great that it’s working for you. Onwards and upwards!

2 Likes

That’s certainly one of the positive effects we hope to see… :star:

Incidentally, changes to the auditory cortex in someone wearing a blindfold take place in a matter of minutes, apparently…

3 Likes

Heh! :grinning:

Diolch yn fawr iawn, tatjana! I’m relieved that someone is keeping me from the wicker man!

At least no one is reacting like this…

…yet! :wink:

3 Likes

Spot on! (in my humble opinion, anyway. That’s part of why it works so well).

2 Likes

Cult, blindfolds, changes to our auditory cortexes - and all for less than the cost per month of a ‘‘pysgod ac tatws’’

Justin

3 Likes