TV advert

Did anyone see the nationwide building society TV advert tonight. Ive looked for a link to pass it on, but cant find - funny and all in Welsh!

5 Likes

This one? https://youtu.be/2EAe92hUvPg

7 Likes

thatā€™s it. 'na fe. And peak viewing time as well.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s rather lovely to seeā€¦ :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Game of words ā€¦ great!

1 Like

What does the sbo mean right at the end?

An attempt at a transcript. (With little attempt to capture the exact pronunciation.)

Weithiau, does dim eisiau geiriau

Weithiau, dim ond geiriau sy eisiau

Weithiau, maeā€™n gwybod yn digon

Weithiau, does dim digon yn gwybod

Weithiau, wiā€™n gwybod beā€™ tiā€™n meddwl

Weithiau, dw iā€™n meddwlā€¦ beā€™ tiā€™n wybod?

Weithiau, sa iā€™n siwr os wiā€™n cytuno

Dw iā€™n cytunoā€¦ ond, sa iā€™n siwr.

Weithiau, tiā€™n unig syā€™n deallt

Weithiau, dw iā€™n deallt y bod ti yn unig

Ond dw iā€™n gwybod y byddi di bob troā€¦

ā€¦yna pan fydda i dy angen di

sbo!

2 Likes

I may be well off the mark here but Iā€™ve kind of taken that to mean ā€˜I supposeā€™.

4 Likes

Having looked at Gweiadur now, it agrees with you.

It also gives a couple of synonyms which are also delightful shortenings: sbo from ā€œI suppose soā€, mwn from am wn i, deceni from maeā€™n debyg gen i, and gwlei from goeliaā€™ i.

2 Likes

They use it a heck of a lot in PyC and it has always seemed to fit with the context so itā€™s nice to have it confirmed. As with ā€˜am wn iā€™ in RaR, used a lot so has made its way into my vocab, I think of this as ā€˜as far as I knowā€™. ā€˜Gwleiā€™ and ā€˜deceniā€™ are new ones for me so thanks, very useful. Iā€™ve seen them written but nowhere near enough to get a meaning from them.

1 Like

Thatā€™s how I understand it as well.

So ā€¦ ā€˜deceniā€™ is ā€˜maeā€™n debyg gen iā€™? Is that just ā€˜itā€™s likelyā€™? Iā€™ve heard just ā€˜maeā€™n debygā€™ a lot but not the other, as it were, full version.

Also, they use ā€˜perygā€™ a lot in RaR which Iā€™ve always taken to have a similar meaning with a slight negative feel. I donā€™t know though.

1 Like

Gweiadur glosses deceni, decini as ā€œI supposeā€.

(And gwlei, glei as ā€œyou betā€, for what itā€™s worth).

Iā€™m not sure how those are used in practice ā€“ the safest way to get a ā€œfeelingā€ for them, Iā€™m sure, is to hear them lots of times in authentic contexts!

True ā€“ kind of like a probably in the sense of ā€œYes, I fear you may be rightā€?

1 Like

what about ā€œthe rather wonderfulā€ as Iestyn says ā€œsgwnniā€. Have I got that wrong in memory - if so Iā€™ve been using it and no ones said anything.

1 Like

There is also the longer ā€œ(ar) hyd a gwn iā€ meaning the same, but itā€™s ā€œam wn iā€ that you usually hear on RaR.

On this sort of subject, I came across ā€œwnelen iā€ in the new series ā€œUn Bore Mercherā€, and it also occurred in a text Iā€™d read. In the former, it was in the phrase ā€œtiā€™n gwbod beth wnelen i?ā€.
My Skype friend Huw identified this as meaning ā€œI would doā€ (i.e. ā€œYou know what I would do?ā€).

It appears to be more of a southern usage than northern. It looks like itā€™s a derivative from
ā€œgwnelwn iā€ which might either be a subjunctive that has been left over from the older spoken language, or just an ā€œordinaryā€ conditional.

ā€˜Hyd y gwn iā€™ I think youā€™re aiming for hereā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, thanks :-)ā€¦think Iā€™ll stick to ā€œam wn iā€ then. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does that mean ā€œperhapsā€?

I vaguely recall seeing ā€œsgwniā€ on RaR (when Wyn is alone with Dani up above the town shortly after Davidā€™s death and is consoling her), looking it up, and seeing that itā€™s short for os gwn i and is a northern way of saying ā€œperhapsā€ ā€“ but I canā€™t find that again! So I may be imagining thingsā€¦

1 Like

Suppose and perhaps are similar concepts perhaps and I suppose I might have mixed them up. Falle sgwnni is perhaps?

1 Like

Sgwn i - i wonder (is the way i remember it).

Cheers J.P.

4 Likes