Translation of 'from'

The GPC also uses the words “military expedition” and “quest”.

2 Likes

Depends what day it is, but either of those apply. Sometimes both at once!

1 Like

Yes of course. Armistice day and Remembrance Sunday. I was just thinking of the significance as I made my comment.

…your mission, should you choose to accept it, of course. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Doing my messages, getting my messages. If my central belt Scottish mother in law, or sister in law said them, it meant going shopping.

1 Like

When I first came up here and someone asked if I was needing any messages, I was totally confused!! I simply said, “I am so sorry, but I am from Wales, am I needing what?” “Messages, I’m going into town, shopping!”

Messages and errands are ok with me. My father’s family from Sunderland used the terms frequently. Having said that, some family members had spent several years in the Glasgow area.

Don’t get me started on the names for portions of fish and chips.

2 Likes

Or what you take to work! Here it is ‘a Piece’! We called it Snap. I have no idea what it is in Welsh, not snap is it?

Tocyn?

1 Like

I want to know all the words for fish and chips, and I also need to know what this latest bit is about - are we referring to packed lunches???

Yes, @cat-1. Sorry, i should have said! I couldn’t remember the Engish to be honest!

2 Likes

Don’t apologise @henddraig - I’m very much enjoying hanging on by a thread to the tail of this…well…thread!
I like Snap very much!

1 Like

I’ve heard Fish Supper and Paper for fish and chips. For packed lunch, I’ve heard Box, Bait, Scran and Sarnies.

1 Like

In my dialect of Dutch, they use ‘negossie’ (from French négoce - trade, business) for shopping or merchandise. I’d guess ‘negeseuon’ with the meaning discussed here comes from Latin (negotium - this according to Samuel James Evans’s The Latin Element in Welsh) - the second suggestion in @RichardBuck’s comment above

3 Likes