Torfaen Meetup - Tuesdays @ 1900 - The Upper Cock Inn, Croesyceiliog

We meet at the ‘Three Blackbirds Inn’ in Llantarnam, Cwmbran.

Postcode: NP44 3AY

Find us in the function room to the left of the entrance from the main car park. People arrive from about 1830 on, generally staying till around nine.

To quote JI from the old forum

Last week we had 8 people take part in our session at the Three Blackbirds with learners of all levels and our two first language Welsh speakers Gwyndaf and Fred who have been absolutely outstanding in helping us to practice and develop our Welsh. Their patience whilst listening to our often faltering statements is immense and it is hard to envisage a safer envirinment for learners to get out and speak Welsh in the wild.

We are also fortunate that the management of the pub let us have free use of a seperate room so we can chat away in Welsh to our hearts content without feeling self consconcious in front of our English speaking fellow customers. - See more at: http://www.saysomethingin.com/welsh/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10954#sthash.aKNp1q79.dpuf

1 Like

8 (or 9) of us last night.

I managed to offload some old copies of Lingo Newydd, one of which included the phrase “gyrru’r goets mawr”. Just in case you’re worried about the standard of Welsh, this ended up being translated as “driving giant goats”.

Next meeting is the 20th May 2014. Start time 1900 for this week (it’s possible that the 1830 regulars can’t make it next week).

That sounds genuinely superb - both in terms of numbers, and the standard of your translation…:seren:

This is tonight. I won’t be there till about half seven, but there should be several others there from at least seven.

9 of us last night…

Excellent result! Must have been a great evening…:slight_smile:

It’s always great. We need a few more SSIWers to come along though! There’s only around 4-5 regulars who’ve used SSIW - everyone else is either first language or they’ve used evening classes.

I’m hoping the work we’re going to be doing over the next couple of months to build some structures to support/promote meetups much more effectively will start to make a real difference of the course of this year…:slight_smile:

This is still happening every week (despite the lack of updates…)

Yesterday there were 5 of us (including our ever reliable first language speakers).

Next meeting is Tuesday 10th June, from about half-past six in the Three Blackbirds.

heno!

Just a reminder - this is tonight.

There is a core group of 6-7 people, including 2 first language speakers who are very good at helping stuttering Welsh to flow.

1 Like

Tonight!

One of these days I won’t add the reminder at the last minute…

Wow, what’s this? A reminder that’s several days in advance? Gadzooks!

Given that we’ve met 3 times since this last reminder, perhaps it’s actually woefully late…

Our meeting is still going on though, every Tuesday evening. There’s generally a good crowd by about seven o’clock.

Next week is slightly different though, since we’re going to give The Upper Cock in Croesyceiliog a try.

The current venue is great, but unfortunately access from the car park is via a set of steep and poorly lit steps.

Here’s the address
The Highway, Croesyceiliog, Cwmbran, Gwent, NP44 2HE

1 Like

12 people last week - that may even have been a record for this year!

We’ll be in The Upper Cock, Croesyceiliog again this week.

The Highway, Croesyceiliog, Cwmbran, Gwent, NP44 2HE

2 Likes

Superb, llongyfarchiadau mawr i chi gyd! :star2:

Next meetup: Tuesday 23rd Feb, from around 1900

We’ve been hovering around the 6-7 people mark for weeks now, so come help us push through double figures.

(Four weeks ago - and we talk of it still - there were sglodion am ddim, courtesy of the kitchen shutting down, or a clumsy waiter).

1 Like

Next meetup: Tuesday 24th March, from around 1900

Despite the lack of updates, we do meet each week. The pub is getting busier, so you may well have to search. For the last couple of weeks we’ve been meeting in the bar with the big TV, rather than the restaurant bit

1 Like

Next meeting is April 7th. (No meeting on march 31st because too many people away)

1 Like

Hello. I would like to start coming to these meetings, my welsh isn’t great and I need to practice speaking! Do you meet in The Upper Cock? How often do you meet? Diolch.

Hello.

We meet every Tuesday in The Upper Cock from around 1900 hours.

1 Like