Torfaen Meetup - Tuesdays @ 1900 - The Upper Cock Inn, Croesyceiliog

Tonight!

1 Like

Next tuesday! (28th April)

1 Like

Despite the lack of regular updates to this thread, the Tuesday evening meetup in the Upper Cock in Croeyceiliog has still been taking place every week. Unfortunately, our numbers have fallen somewhat from our peak of 17 learners all chatting in Welsh, down to our present count of 3-4. This includes 2 native speakers, meaning that some weeks the native:learner ratio is actually 2:1.

Iā€™m one of those learners, and my spoken Welsh has dramatically improved in the 3 years or so that Iā€™ve been attending this meeting.

Due to the fall in numbers though, there has been talk of bringing this meeting to a close. So if you are someone who has been considering coming along on Tuesday evening, now is the time to come. In a couple of weeks I think itā€™s likely that this meeting will stop.

There are loads of daytime and Saturday Welsh meetups in the Newport and Cwmbran area, but this is one of the few meetings outside of work hours, so it would be a shame for it to disappear.

1 Like

. #ebostwythnosol

Hi @jamesmahoney , Iā€™ve been meaning to go to one of the meetups mentioned on here for a while. This seems like a great time to actually do it, plus i live in Cwmbran anyway so its not far.

Am i too late or will you be having another meeting next week?

My welsh is very basic at the moment but my girlfriend is a first language speaker and at least youā€™ll numbers will go up by 2.

1 Like

Hi @michael

Thereā€™s no meeting next week - 2 regular attendees are unavailable.

The next meetup will be the 19th July.

My Welsh was basic when I first started going, so donā€™t worry about it!

1 Like

Meetup, of sorts, tonight.

Iā€™ll be there from around 7, but of the 3 other regulars - 1 definitely not, 1 maybe, 1 hopefully

1 Like

1 of us tonight

sad-face

Probably down to karma after I threw a flip-flop at a cat trying to steal a piece of rosemary infused chicken that was gently cooking on the stove

@aran - feel free to do a video pronunciation guide for the above

Canā€™t waitā€¦:wink:

We still limp along. Three people tonight, probably 98% Cymraeg.

There should be a meeting next week - Tuesday evening 2nd August.

1 Like

A packed meeting last night. Five of us!

I did lose the coveted titles of Best Hair and Best looking, not to mention slipping to #4 in the Best Welsh speaker league. But cā€™est la vie, a small price to pay for new attendees!

1 Like

Haha this made me chuckle. I really enjoyed it even though I struggled to put much Welsh together.

It was great just to listen to you all speaking the language really.

Hopefully my brain will be able to react a bit quicker to questions this Tuesday. I thought of lots I could have saidā€¦ once I was in the car on the way home :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

We met again August 9th - bit of a recent record, what with there being a turn out of 7 of us!

I was away last week, but hopefully @ji_1 or @michael can update this thread with any updates

1 Like

There were 5 of us last week and we decided to sit in the garden to enjoy the sunshine.

Hopefully weā€™ll have full numbers with you back this week (23rd August).

1 Like

Hi James,

Numbers picking up and hopefully more to come :slight_smile:

I am also trying to find out how to set up a map showing locations of cafes, pubs etc. are happy to speak welsh with learners can you advise with your expert knowledge of IT ?

Dee has supplied me with some stickers and I am looking at ways to spread the word if you can help.

J

1 Like

Wow, sat outside! I think weā€™ve done that once in 3 years!

Google maps has a feature where you can create your own map and then plot locations on it - itā€™s how the SSiW map of learners is managed. You could get started on that right now via https://www.google.com/maps

As it happens though Iā€™ve been tinkering around with something to list all the chat meetups in the local area. I could easily extend it to include cafes and pubs and shops that are happy to speak Welsh. Putting the website together is straightforward enough, but I donā€™t have time to do the legwork of keeping a list of info on meetups and places up to date. But if youā€™re happy to take on that part of it I can do the website bits.

A simple way would be to use a Google Spreadsheet to hold all the data. You make any changes there - add new venues, update existing ones, and delete old ones as needed. Then periodically the website that displays all this info can update itself based on the spreadsheet.

The advantage of this approach over a single Google map is that because the data is stored in a structured way we can do lots of useful things with it e.g. send out reminders that a meetup up is happening.

To keep your workload to a manageable level weā€™d restrict it to Newport/Cwmbran. If there is the demand then itā€™s as simple as finding other people to manage the spreadsheets for different areas.

James

1 Like

Tonight!

(6 people last week, so Iā€™ve heard).

New record (for recent weeks) - saith pobl!

3 Likes

It was a good meeting this week, Iā€™ll hopefully have more 1 fluent speaker joining us in the coming weeks. Which might mean that there will be more Welsh speakers than English in the entire pub (If itā€™s quiet as usual) :smile:

1 Like

Weā€™re gonna need a bigger table.

2 Likes