Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Is that in the company of a first-language Welsh speaker?

I would say that if it was just you and another learner, that you might soon run out of vocabulary, and it would be hard to resist the temptation to revert to English.

With a (patient!) first language speaker, you have someone to use as a talking dictionary, so your chances of survival (in Welsh-only) are higher. :slight_smile:

Pob lwc ta waeth! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not neccessarily. If another learner is of a higher level then it might be you wouldn’t run out of vocabulary but eventually learn more of it.

I believe you could have something like “weekend bootcamp” @petermescall and, well, you’re amazing in deed!

1 Like

I did say she’s a first language Welsh speaker so it should be fine.

I am feeling very, very inadequate! I suppose I am just very, very lazy! I started Level 1 ages ago to re-learn Cymraeg to help with the hiraeth caused by living in Yr Alban, I switched to Challenges and am still doing the first set of those. At your speed I’d have finished and be entering Eisteddfodau by now!!

2 Likes

I’m really enjoying it. Some days I feel I can say anything. Other days I feel hopeless! I’ve just gone to wetherspoons for breakfast and feel I should at least say thank you in welsh. I’m doing it all the time now. People don’t half look at you strangely sometimes!

1 Like

Ble wy’ti? I get funny looks if I say “Diolch yn fawr!” in Scotland!!

Dwi’n byw yn y Gogledd ond yn ymyl Caer! Yn anffodus mae neb yn siarad cymraeg!

lesson 2 of challenge 2 - why does don;t have children yet end with eto instead of hyd yn hyn? Dwi’n angen helpu achos dwi ddim yn deallt pam.

I think it’s two ways to say the same thing. Interestingly, in French, “yet” and “again” are all the same word. “encore”.

1 Like

You never know till you try. I went to Shropshire on the train from Manchester to South Wales last month by Arriva Trains Wales. On the way down the ticket collector was obviously English but coming back he was just as clearly Welsh. When he came round he spoke in English, I answered him in Welsh and he replied in English. So even though he spoke no Welsh he must have understood it. Never mind, you win some and you lose some but it’s always worth trying

3 Likes

Thank you. My only criticism so far is that sometimes the course doesn’t explain things like this. Don’t get me wrong I think it’s brilliant and Aran deserves all the praise we give him.

I think the point is that we learn naturally, the way children learn their native tongue and the questions we ask may be those a child asks Mam, and the Forum/ @aran acts as Mam!!

1 Like

Yes very true - I’m now on challenge 3 of level 2 - I felt I needed a little break this weekend - and as usual using eto for yet now feels natural all of a sudden. It amazes me how after struggling through some lessons it then beds it during the next one!

Yfory dwi’n mynd i Landudno. Liciwn i trio siarad bach o gymraeg. Ar ol gwydrad neu ddau yn bosib!!!

1 Like

It appears to be globally pinned at the moment - whatever you did, it worked :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually @Kinetic, I think they were talking about globally pinning the topic Really useful ‘How to’ stuff and other great posts which is not currently pinned.

2 Likes

Oh right oops sorry. Done

2 Likes

I want to ask a question about asking questions - specifically using ‘gofyn’ with ‘wrth’.

It’s introduced in Challenge 10 of Level 1. (I can’t remember where it comes up on the original courses, but I remember wondering about it at the time.) On the vocab list one of the examples is:

“Mae’n ddrwg gen i ond dw i angen gofyn wrthot ti eto – I’m sorry, but I need to ask you again”.

I have not come across ‘gofyn wrth’ anywhere else, only ‘gofyn i’. Is this a particularly northern thing that doesn’t apply as far south as Machynlleth?

1 Like

This isn’t really a question, more a comment. You, @aran and @Iestyn say ‘don’t use the pause button’ too much and I really did try. Then I realised that, due to my medical condition, I can’t actually speak all that quickly. The words were in my head, but not coming out fast enough. I was getting very frustrated and going round in circles repeating Challenges. Today, I paused when I knew I wasn’t going to finish in time and it was blissful! So, I suppose I’m saying, to anyone who has a problem with speech, pause if you need to!!

5 Likes

I have just watched an episode of ‘Week in Week Out’ on BBC Wales from a couple of weeks ago. One question: Was that our @Iestyn being interviewed ?

1 Like

Quite possibly. But apparently the person presenting the programme has gone missing!

1 Like