Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

School raised Welsh speakers know both forms.

Baswn i - I would (shorten to ‘swn i’ in informal speech)

Use this Machynlleth northwards if you want to sound local

Byddwn i - I would … definitely heard Aberystwyth southwards

One caveat. In speech for some reason you will hear ‘Bydden i’

• Byddwn i …understood but not heard really in southern parts at least (any hwntws here hear otherwise? please correct)
1 Like

Cwestiwn pitw / Tiny question

How accurate or indeed useful is the website “my memory translated” for help with Welsh phrases and ‘turn of phrases’ when translating from English?

I have found it useful for some formal or overly eloquent welsh in letters and emails…but unsure what first language speakers think?
Its a website that draws data from official documents like governmental documentation (it seems?)
Link below/ dolen isod
MyMemory - Machine translation meets human translation (translated.net)

looks like half of it is inaccurate gibberish because they are assuming wrong pieces of more informal texts are connected. Advanced learners can distinguish this. Mwy na debyg … Not advised for beginners for sure

Don’t worry about spelling at this stage (it’s SAY something in, not SPELL something in! :wink: )
Dwedodd fy mam wrtha i nad yw dy fam yn hoffi pêl-droed

The “nad yw” is the “that doesn’t”. Although ‘yw’ means ‘is’ or, as in this case, ‘does’, the ‘nad’ is a negative ‘that’, so the yw, when preceded by nad becomes ‘isn’t’ or as in this case, ‘doesn’t’.

Also, ‘nag yw’ rather than ‘nad yw’ is perfectly normal, just a dialect thing

I came across this in 2019 because I am experiencing exactly the same problem today in 2023. The expression nad yw has never been used before in the course and I was completely unable to decipher what was being said. Surely this should have been included in the Vocabulary list for this lesson. Very frustrating until I chanced upon the 2019 explanation. Yes I know it is SAY something but simply repeating noises without knowing what the heck you are saying is not ideal. Sorry to whinge but I needed to SAY something!

This may be slightly outside the remit of this forum but someone here usually understands these things so it’s worth a try!

I work somewhere that involves the word rhyngwladol in its name, and there’s been some debate among the native Welsh speakers as to why it’s rhyngwladol and not ryngwladol. Both forms appear to exist, but no one is clear on when you’d use one over the other. :joy:

It’s a matter of mutation - if the ‘international’ thing you are describing is feminine and singular, then rh becomes r
e.g. international law = cyfraith ryngwladol because cyfraith is feminine.
If the thing is masculine, there’s no mutation
e.g. international committee = pwllgor rhyngwladol because pwllgor is masculine
Also, plurals don’t take the mutation, even if they’re feminine
e.g. uned ryngwladol (uned is feminine) but in the plural = unedau rhyngwladol

3 Likes

Oh, it’s a gender based mutation? Interesting. That wouldn’t have occurred to me - or, evidently, anyone I work with :joy: The best explanation at the office was “sometimes it’s just spelled that way” :sweat_smile:

Diolch yn fawr Siaron!

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure (I speak N more than S these days) that gweud (S) and deud (N) are the colloquial forms and that dweud is the formal form, so for an official email, I’d go with dweud.

4 Likes

I have come across two Welsh words for the English word “peace”, namely “Heddwch” and “Tangnefedd”. Are these words totally interchangeable? Which one would be used, for example, in the context of peace between nations?

Although they both mean the same, tangnefedd is a more literary/biblical word, so whilst they are interchangeable, heddwch is by far the one most commonly in use, especially in speech.
Geiriadur yr Academi gives: a country at peace with its neighbours = gwlad mewn heddwch â’i chymdogion

1 Like

That’s an interesting question, which I can’t really answer, but here’s my tuppence worth.
Heddwch is the word used at the Eisteddfod before the major prizes are given. “Oes Heddwch?” It’s also related to the word Heddlu, (peace crowd?). In the prayers I read in church about Ukraine we are definitely praying for Heddwch. However, in certain parts of the service we ask for the peace of the Lord to be with us, on you, and that’s definitely Tangnefedd.

2 Likes

On a related note - what’s the difference between “hedd” and “heddwch”?

different regions sometimes disagree over what nouns are gendered in what way…
The base assumption is that everything is masculine if you want an acceptable easy rule…but with practice the common feminine ones will come naturally

cath fach / ci bach

gweud is extremely common south of aberystwyth. Aberystwyth to Machynlleth is a mix of both.

1 Like

Heres a question.

Why … hedd and heddwch … tangnefedd and tangnefeddwch

I realise the -wch is not a command form. I always viewed this as a true inflexible noun…or does it add a more abstract meaning… does dim clem da fi…i fod yn onest

1 Like

Tangnefeddwyr = peacemakers by the way.

Heddweision - policemen (plismyn) - literally : Peace servants

1 Like

The -wch suffix does denote an abstract noun, but as for why there are four forms, 'sgen i ddim clem chwaith! I have no idea either!

4 Likes

I’m sure this is a really dumb question - it’s about the course, rather than the language! I’ve never scrolled right in the app beyond the “old course” sections, but today I did and found some weekly and daily exercises. How should I use these alongside working through the main levels?

Please include whatever Welsh idioms you like for “idiot” in your reply!

1 Like

Hi @phil-23, I’m sure that people will gladly advise you of idioms for “idiot” - if you’re willing to explain why! Your sensible question is perfectly in place.
Firstly, the old courses were made before the new Levels. The current SSiW approach is to encourage use of the Levels, as they were made building on the experience of making the old Courses as well as what was perceived as shortcomings of the old courses. But if you search on the Forum you will find many people, myself included, who think that the Courses are excellent (as are the Levels). It’s probably best not to do them both together - finish the three Levels first. The Courses take you back to step 1, but they have a different vocabulary and different emphasis on grammar. Many of us think that the old Courses complement the new Levels.
The daily and weekly listening exercises that you mention were meant to support the old Courses, so it would make sense not to use them unless you start learning those Courses, in which case they become self-explanatory (on the safe assumption that you’re not an “idiot” :blush:).
Best of luck.

4 Likes

That’s great, thank you!

1 Like