Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

You are very close - what you’ve got is “A car isn’t in the garage” so you just need the ‘the’ - Dydy’r car ddim yn y garej
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Diolch!

1 Like

I’m reading the book Taffia by Llwyd Owen, which is (one of a series) set in Hwyan Gerddi. I wanted to check if that was a real or fictional name, but no dictionary I tried offered anything for ‘hwyan’ & searching for it online just produced results for the books - including this tweet by Catrin Beard:

So I figured I was missing some pune or play on words, but her reply didn’t really enlighten me:

What the heck is hwyan and what am I missing?

It’s a play on words by the author. Hwyangerddi (also spelt hwiangerddi) is the Welsh for nursery rhymes :grinning:
Gerddi is gardens and cerddi is poems, but because the -cerddi is preceded by hwyan, it mutates to gerddi, which Llwyd Owen has then played upon to split the word in half to create Hwyan Gardens. The ‘hwyan’ bit doesn’t exist on its own! :smile:

3 Likes

Here’s a good one.

What are the different ways of saying “such” in all forms :slight_smile:

Would ‘fel’ be best for “such as” … how are cyfryw and other words used to convey the English ‘such’

Er enghraifft/ For example:

‘y fath beth’ = such a thing?

For a more comprehensive answer than I could give (and without resorting to a full ‘copy-&-paste job’) I would recommend putting ‘such’ into the online Geiriadur Yr Academi http://geiriaduracademi.org/ - it gives you lots of examples for the different usages.

3 Likes

gweiadur.com gives “megis” for “such as”. I have come across it occasionally in real life, possibly only in writing. Gweiadur notes that it is “rather a literary word”, although I doubt that what I was reading was all that literary.

It seemed that every time there is a not, there would be a ddim in the translation.
Now in level 2 there is a so instead (like “so chi’n disgwyl” and “so ni’n gweld”).

What happened?

1 Like

that still tricks me now (just started level 3) but I think it’s the way it’s more likely to be said in the south…

I like it because it’s much shorter!

2 Likes

If you have access to old material, there is a lesson zero with Course 2, where Iestyn explains this way of forming negative sentences. But if you say ; Dw i ddim yn…, ti ddim yn… etc, everyone will understand you. It is just taught to get you used to this way so that you will understand if you happen to hear it.

3 Likes

Please does anyone remember a cartoon posted in this forum a month or so ago somewhere, showing two approaches to failure, one side someone weighed down by bricks marked ‘failure’, and the other side with a series of steps each marked ‘failure’ and the person climbing up them? I’ve been using the idea to encourage myself but I can’t find the post.

3 Likes

I couldn’t check it out earlier cause I was travelling, but now I found the lesson you mentioned. Yes, that explains it (and a few other similar things) very well, diolch @brigitte! :slight_smile:

@Bleddyn, it’s very tricky for me at the moment, but this tendency to keep words as short as possible is definitely one of my favorite things about Welsh! :smiley:

3 Likes

Yes, I remembet it as well, but not sure whete it is either.

1 Like

In Level 2 there’s often this sentence “(But) that’s children for you”.

I really can’t figure out (and can’t find) what it means. In English in first place, so why would I ever say it in Welsh? :grin:

Can anybody make an example of how you use it in English?

Yes, sa i or so (everything else) is similar to English: don’t.

2 Likes

Ha, ha,

Yes, I see what you mean - yes it is a shortening…the long version would be something like…”that’s what you might expect when you are dealing with children’…and what ‘that’ is might be anything e.g. joy, chaos, mess, trouble, fights…possibly with a slight expectation that it is something problematic but not necessarily!

Hopefully that makes sense!

Rich

1 Like

‘My kids always go for the unhealthiest option for breakfast, but that’s children for you!’ = that is typical behaviour for children.

In Welsh one could similarly say 'Dyna ydy/yw plant - possibly a translation from the English expression, or indeed possibly the Welsh phrasing is the original. Who knows?/Pwy a ŵyr? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks @rich and @garethrking!

At this point, since we’re supposed to think of sentences with the vocabulary we’re learning in different contexts…
is it always just “children” between “that’s” and “for you” or it could be someone else? Like husband, wife, boss… :smiley:

2 Likes

oh, it could be anything, not just a different ‘someone’
“One minute it was sunshine, now it’s raining. That’s the weather in Wales for you”
“It takes so long to drive from South to North Wales. That’s the A470 for you”
“It’s brilliant to find a Welsh course that puts so much emphasis on speaking Welsh. That’s SSiW for you!”
:wink:

8 Likes

We really appreciate her. She’s kind and helpful and always there to explain things to us learners. That’s Sharon for you. Diolch yn fawr iawn Sharon.

7 Likes