Those were the days

:slight_smile: !!!
Yes, the old question of how much blood is there in the alcohol stream…

4 Likes

Mind you, ethyl alcohol is a relatively simple compound, and one might imagine it might be a relatively simply process to remove it chemically, and not have to waste that precious blood.

1 Like

Not if it’s going to turn the blood into Kaliber.

3 Likes

Just in case anyone is interested, here’s a blog of part of an interview between Mary Hopkin and her daughter, Jessica Lee Morgan (who is also a folk singer).
http://www.maryhopkin.com/blogs/MH-Interview-TWTD18.html#.W4lVqfZFxy1

1 Like

This is my take on the lyrics. Anyone care to analyse them for cynghanedd?

i wneud bob dim
tro, tro, tro
y mae rhyw dymor
tro, tro, tro
ac mae awr i bob rhyw bwrpas dan y nefoedd

rhyw awr i fod ac awr i fynd
rhyw awr i hau ac awr prynhoi
rhyw awr i ladd ac awr iachau
rhyw awr i wen ac awr i wau

i wneud bob dim
tro, tro, tro
y mae rhyw dymor

rhyw awr bydi lan ac awr tynnu lawr
rhyw awr i ddawns ac awr godwys
mae 'na awr i dorri’r graig
rhyw awr i gaslu’r graig ynghyd

i wneud bob dim
tro, tro, tro
y mae rhyw dymor

rhyw awr i’r haul ac awr i’r glaw
rhyw awr i droi ac awr i hau
rhyw awr i serch ac awr sarhau
rhyw awr i hedd - mi wn mi wn y daw

i wneud bob dim
tro, tro, tro
y mae rhyw dymor
tro, tro, tro

5 Likes

Thank you for doing that. I’d made a start on transcribing the words, but hadn’t got very far with it. I’ll have a listen later, but it looks good to me from memory.

3 Likes

On S4C now: Re-run of a document about Mary Hopkin. Possibly also on catch up later?

4 Likes

Sorry, I forgot to mention, regarding the documentary. There is plenty of Cwm Tawe (Swansea Valley) Welsh to listen to and it is mostly spoken slowly and clearly. Also, there are English subtitles.

I was planning to watch it later but it says “Dim ar gael” - not available :cry:

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi - I couldn’t get anywhere with the S4C site itself, but I just googled ‘s4c mari ni’ and it came up on iplayer, and as I’m registered on there I was able to go straight in to the programme! I don’t need to watch it as I saw it last night - but give it a try…

1 Like

I can’t use iPlayer. I’m one of those strange people who doesn’t have a TV so I don’t pay for a TV Licence and iPlayer is now off limits to me.

Oh I see. Just out of interest, the programme was made in 2000 - I realised after a while it had to be something like that, as Mary and others appearing weren’t old enough for it to be recent!

2 Likes

Time to invite yourself into the home of someone with a TV licence… What sort of nibbles, posh nosh and a bottle to share goes with a Mary Hopkins biog?
:nerd_face::smile::wink:

1 Like

Well, there is so much cr@@@@@p so little of value on TV these days, I can see why some people may not want to pay the licence fee, but personally, I pay it just for the radio (which I think is worth it) even though legally these days, you don’t need a licence to listen to radio. But obviously some of the licence money does go towards the radio.

1 Like

The orchestras, too. The youth music… The home-made not imported kids’ TV… the provision of broadcast infrastructure which commercial firms piggy back on, etc

…but I feel angered by the application of criminal charges to starving and/or vulnerable single parent families, and many young single mums of pre-schoolers have been sent to jail, or caught in spiralling debt to loan sharks while rich pensioners pay little to nothing.

I could argue the case either way on the licence fee thing. It could all be fairer, and if BBC tv and radio is not after all the unbiased, equitable service and content provider it claims to be, nor equal opps employer, and sadly it is ever more blatantly failing impartiality and balance tests and research, they are complicit in their own demise. We could have a much fairer system which would not treat non-TV possessors/watchers automatically as if they are lying, nor send scary letters threatening legal action.

Lucky you in UK who, as I can read, can decide whether pay the licence fee or not. We in Slovenia aren’t so lucky despite we have the same system of funding national TV and the price (as much as I could noce establish) is more or less the same to our’s. Our state has more efficient philosophy which goes something like this: “Whoever has electricity also (for sure) has TV.” what means that all with electricity have to pay licence fee for TV.

On the Mary Hopkin on Clic says Ddim ar gael so we put effort for nothing to catch up and watch it. http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/CatchUp/2018-09-15 .

1 Like