Tense/mood of "Bendithied"

History is written by the victors, they say

2 Likes

Funny? Yes, but very, very true!! It is a terrible problem here in Yr Alban. I find it so hard to understand why nobody seems to want to work in beautiful places with friendly people who really value their services and donā€™t call them out for no good reason or turn up at the surgery with a mild headache wanting a certificate! Maybe its because their patients really are ill??!!

I think its becasue in this country - GPs arenā€™t actually part of the NHS although most people think they are, because they are paid to deliver NHS services. They are effectively private enterprises that from a financial perspective go to where the largest numbers of customers are - simple capitalism - paraphrasing Aneurin Bevan, he simply didnā€™t have enough gold to stuff into certain peoples mouths to get the perfect NHS that he was pushing for. The same thing probably exists in France I suspect.

Iā€™m afraid that watching too much telly at a formative time has hard-wired my brain into thinking that the GP service in Scotland is identical to Doctor Finlayā€™s casebook, circa 1963. Are you telling me then that when you ring your doctor, the phone isnā€™t answered by ā€œJenetā€ with the immortal line ā€œArden Hoose?ā€
Ah, another illusion shatteredā€¦
:joy:

Sorry Bach! Our surgery is now in a ā€˜Medical Centreā€™ with the Dentist and an attached small Hospital. It is actually very sensible in lots of ways. Iā€™m not sure what is happening to Mental Health. They seem to be aiming to close the Mental Hospital and move any patients into wards in the Medical Centre, but how come those are now empty, Iā€™m not sure! The Dentists told everyone how much space they needed for what, but the Hygenist keeps getting shunted up to a room in the closing Mental Hospital because the Dental Section was never what they asked for!!
One problem is that the site is on the side of a steep hill and not easy for those who canā€™t breath easily or are on crutches! However, we should be grateful it seems to have been built properly, not like the schools in Edinburgh!!

1 Like