Tense/mood of "Bendithied"

I just assumed you were one of those North Walian Everton FC fans… :wink:

3 Likes

[Edited out - we keep the forum a family friendly place - thanks/diolch - Aran.]

I assumed it was a play on daffodil, and that daffodil was originally Welsh.

Lovely sunny day for spotting vicars.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/daffodil#Etymology

Tony,

Just came across this really interesting link to a duoglott bible from 1827. It has the Welsh down the left and the English translation down the right, which might be useful in trying to get an understanding of some of the unusual words and religious phrasing of the 19th century.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=40NbAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA198&lpg=PA198&dq=gad+fi+wybod&source=bl&ots=35LDjNe86f&sig=zaDEwJPF_OH0XvW0khOA42pM7yk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj71_2d_fbLAhWG6xoKHXivADM4ChDoAQgiMAA#v=onepage&q=gad%20fi%20wybod&f=false

1 Like

That is really helpful, Toffidil. Thank you very much.

As I read it, I did wonder how you would react to this extract from the new testmament, being nominally Jewish as you said. I guess this is a version of the prodigal son, which must be as it is in the Nerw Testmant, but I’m not really clued up on these things in English or Welsh, although the language comes across very strong I must say.

Hi Tofidil. I couldn’t see an extract.

Tony,

I didn’t post it did I and I have just flicked through it again, but think I’ll take it back. I must have landed on a few snippets here and there, which today would be regarded as antisemitic, but I can’t seem to find them anymore. Anyway - at risk of digging myself into a deeper hole, I will gentle steer myself away from this subject and say no more, except that it is good to see the comparative English and Welsh in this side by side.

The bilingual bible is significant in the 19th century history of the Welsh language. It was commissioned I believe by Lady Llanofer - who is a very significant and equally very controversial figure in the history of the Welsh language - it would have been used in her bilingual schools, prior to the blue books (and probably afterwards maybe) and some of the local anglican churches as well, where she succesfully pressured the church into offering Welsh speaking services.

Nad ydych yn y twll. (?). Don’t skirt around the topic on my account. The Old Testament is pretty severe altogether and I wouldn’t be surprised to find things in the New that could be construed as antisemitic.

Not quite the same thing, but for those interested in getting into the Bible in Welsh,

http://www.beibl.net

is a version in “simple conversational Welsh”.

There isn’t an English translation (I don’t think), but there are supposed to be “resources to help you read it”, although I haven’t investigated them. Old and New Testament. Must have been a massive project.

Yes in the old testament, didn’t Moses kill everyone in the Kingdom of Og leaving no-one left alive. Some very gruesome stuff in there indeed by the standards of today.

I started reading it the other week, and before I was even half-way through Genesis I needed a very strong drink and the comfort of my family around me (and not sacrificed on any passing altars). A true-to-the-text film wouldn’t even get a rating from the censors… :scream:

4 Likes

Didn’t the Druids go in for a bit of sacrificing?

2 Likes

Will have to find out what “Mad Ned” - Iolo Morgannwg might have said about that - Druids was one of his big things and he must have made something interesting up about it - no-one from our beloved Glamorgan would have been on the receiving end that’s for sure.

1 Like

Anyway, it’s not only Druids who got up to stuff. Wasn’t there some funny business involving a Church in Wales minister on Anglesey a few years back administering “pastoral care” to several widows?

Not sure this is particularly suitable for the forum - we keep it very family-friendly here, please. :sunny:

Wasn’t that Roman propaganda?

1 Like

Exactly, all of the writings on this was done by those not particularly friendly towards the Celts.

Thought this was quite funny from our Celtic cousins across the channel:

Brittany mayors stage ‘Druid healer’ hoax to highlight shortage of doctors

3 Likes

Great story! I’m thinking this has the makings of one of those French farces.