"technical" questions about the language

Hello, I’m sorry, I did not want to create a new topic, I just wanted to let a message in a topic which would be “questions about the language” or something like that, but concerning questions about the language, I only saw an “audio topic”,
If there is a place to put my question in, so please, driveit there, thankyou :grin

My questions :
I’m learning, and now just at level 1, lesson 2. My question is about the verb “covio” : if the letter F is pronounced “v”,as for example in “ymarfer” why is “covio” written" covio (notrh) and not “cofio” (souht) ? Is it because of possible confusion with another word ?

And another question : on my welsh records, I more often see “ma eisiau” o “mae… something”, than “dw i angen” or another “dw i something” : Is it that southern welsh is more present in songs ???
Thankyou for answering (or telling me where to ask this kind of questions)

I’d say it is a typo, there is no letter ‘v’ in the Welsh alphabet - I could not find ‘covio’ in the vocab lists, which lesson/challenge was it please?

Mae eisau/angen ar is a little more formal than dw i eisiau/angen, may be that is why

2 Likes

Cofio is written cofio everywhere. The welsh f is like an English v but a bit softer, ff is more like an English f.

Welcome to the world of mishearing Welsh lyrics and making up your own understanding :wink:

I’d love to learn Breton and would be interested in comparisons. Breton Ch’oant is I think like welsh moyn (Southern) or eisiau (Standard/Northern) , but Welsh also has chwant, for desire or fancy, which is very similar in meaning. The chwant is generally used in constructions like mae chwant arna i, but I think the Breton construction is different. I am wondering how to say the following in Breton?

Je desire (I can’t type accents)
Je voudrais

Remember that language in songs and poetry doesn’t necessarily represent speech patterns - there is usually more than one way to say the same thing and lyric writers will use whatever fits the feeling and of course the music (regardless of whether it’s Northern or Southern Welsh), and when we’re talking of older songs like hymns or very old traditional songs, then the language is even less like spoken Welsh today.

Y Draig… : Cofio is written “covio” (with V) on the SSIW lessons, lesson , northern. But when I went and see the crresponding southern lessons (what I like to do, just to compare) I saw it was written Cofio (with F), and then I was wondering about this norhtern V, to which I found no explaination, since for example Ymarfer or other verbs with v sound were written with an F.

So : Ok for typo error explaination, Louis

Toffidil : I received your question about breton in my mailbox, but I can’t see your message here (even by following the link to the topic down your message in my mailbox)
I answered, but didi not see there was a “no reply” in front of your address, so… : join me via my mail (I suppose you can see it in my profile, if no, I’ll see tonight, now I have to go)

Sorry, I thought it wasn’t of interest to the discussion, but have now undeleted it

I sent you an anxwer via a message in yout profile.
For my part, I should now search where I have to ask my questions about points of the language, because I suppose I’ll have others…

1 Like

Many thanks.

Hi @mcbrittany - which Challenge did you find the typo in? I can go in and fix it, but I’ve looked at the first few northern Vocab lists, and I can’t find it spelt with a ‘v’ anywhere.

Noswaith da, Dee, Good evening
It WAS in challenge one, the first lesson (the on wiich just come after the introduction). Northern I say “it was” because it seems that someone went and corrected it
Abyway this course is good also for my englsih : I was sure that the verb corresponding to a practice (practice piano, or a practice for learning uilleann pipe for example) was “to practice” with a C, and I saw with “ymarfer” that it is “to practise” with an S. Great course !!! :grinning:

1 Like

The spelling of ‘practice’ depends on whether you use US or British English. In the US it’s always with a ‘c’, but in British English it’s ‘to practise’ with an ‘s’ or ‘the practice’ with a ‘c’ :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The same distinction as “to advise” and “some advice”, which is how I remember which “practice/practise” to use.

2 Likes

Then what about the prononciation of the “i” in the case of the “S” spelling : : it will be like in “surprise” ? , and for practice it will be like in “habit”, is that so ?
You will say “I am practising (sound as “surprising”) bagpipe with a practice (soudn of habit) pipe” ?

1 Like

The two ‘i’ sounds are the same in both practise and practice - the s and c have no effect on them.
i.e. “I am practising (sound as in “kissing”) bagpipe with a practice (sound as kiss) pipe”
:slight_smile:

Aaah, then it is a real surprise for me. I thought every word in “ising” had to be pronounced like in "“rising”., “surprising”, “advertisng” and so on. Thanks a lot ! (see to what leeds a welsh course !!!)

3 Likes

The only rule in English is that every rule has so many exceptions, there may as well be no rules. :smile:

7 Likes

Both words sound identical (if we’re talking “practice” and “practise”).

1 Like

And (as a native English speaker of, er, mature years), I still get confused by these. Similarly “license” and “licence”. Fortunately, we nowadays have google and online dictionaries.