Taith Heb Saesneg

Ha Ha! I l like the first one!! Hopefully they are 3 phrases I wont have to use!

I hope that you don’t get any visitations from the pnctr* fairy but I’d want to know that word that we dare not pronounce as well as patch, pump, and inner tube. I know none of them but a look in my old dictionary suggests:

pnctr* = twll?
patch = There are too many options and in sufficient detail to make an informed decision in my dictionary, you might end up with a Copper’s patch or a software patch. Not much help!
pump = pwmp
inner tube = tiwb mewnol?

Great additions to the vocab

definitely a “ddim twll” trip, thank you. My diary has two suggestions - pigdwll and pynctiar!
Patsh will probably be the best option for patch
my dictionary suggests just tiwb for inner tube (of tyre)

I’m not even sure what “pedal ready” means in English (and I think of myself as a cyclist, albeit, very old school).

English-only, I’m afraid. Maybe others can supply the Cymraeg.

saddle
saddle-cover
panniers
saddlebag
rucksack
water bottles

handlebars
chainwheel
gears
gear-lever
brakes
brake-block (if you have that sort of brake)
brake cable
bike lock
padlock
spoke
spoke-key
(bike) light(s)
battery/batteries for above
dynamo
map
GPS

distance
gradient (of hill)

“Do I need oxygen at that height?” (joc :slight_smile: ).

‘Pedal ready’ is the position to set your pedal to set off on the road. We teach the pupils to put their right pedal in the ‘two o’clock’ position so when you push down with the right foot you have power to set off. Normally when setting if ino traffic from the kerb, the left foot is on the kerb and the right foot is used to push down to power the bike forward. In traffic you need to be prepared to set off as soon as possible, so we teach pupils to be ‘pedal ready’ whenever they stop.

Diolch - well, I do that of course, but hadn’t heard the expression before. Makes sense, now you explain it.

Some good choices - and I will be asking for help with most of them!k

Have you had any media attention? Do you have a website/blog about your journey? This wonderful story sounds as if it should get coverage on Radio Cymru and on Heno, S4C!

1 Like

Not yet but I have had a few tips. Menter Iaith Fflint a Wrecsam are going to help publicise it and I hope to get interest from Radio Cymru and Golwg.

I have Facebook and Instagram pages but will start a YouTube Channel soon to start to build my blog (or vlog??). Still working these things out.

Lots if support from the SSiW community, especially people I have never met offering accommodation.

4 Likes

I will contact you again via DM, but if you need to get in touch with someone at Heno/Bore Da I’d be more than happy to facilitate

1 Like

Just finished applying for tickets for Friday (10th) and Saturday (11th) for the Eisteddfod in Cardiff. When filling out my address everything was ok until I came to the drop-down for counties. Wrexham has been a county since the reorganisation of Wales countis back in the 90s yet a Welsh website doesn’t feature my home county…I have to select either Flintshire (drws nesa) or Clwyd, which no longer officially exists. Rant over!

1 Like

Something I might be sharing with Mark on Slack or on the SSiaw forum here if I knew Mark’s pseudonym…

I wonder whether @Gog has a source for the equivalent of this yn (y) Gymraeg…

https://blogs.transparent.com/irish/pairteanna-rothair-i-ngaeilge-parts-of-a-bicycle-in-irish/

Go raibh maith agat/ Diolch (whether I’m hitting the mark with this, or not)

Very often the same down here with ‘Dyfed’ the required option. Sometimes address finders do offer Heol y Frenhines Victoria as an alternative to Queen Victoria Road, although our street sign says Ffordd Frenhines Victoria. I’ve also seen the spelling Fictoria in the street name online.

I did wonder if there might be problems with online transactions where delivery address needs to match the address registered to the credit card, but I haven’t had a problem since starting to use the Welsh version of my address.

Sorry - bit of a digression. I wonder if Welsh address issues would be worth their own thread?

A bit late catching up on this thread, but just to say I did mention the trip (some time ago) to Tinopolis (Heno, Pnawn Da etc) and to Aled Hughes’ researcher at Radio Cymru. I’m sure further ‘nudges’ wouldn’t hurt though!

2 Likes

Hi Siaron,
Nicky also gave me an email address for tiniapolis and I have sent them an email. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Hi All,
I have received my tickets for 10th and 11th August for Eisteddfod Genedlaethol. Not sure when I’ll arrive on 10th but will be there most of the day on 11th

I’ve also decided to combine this ride with my Prudential RideLondon Surrey 100 mile ride on 29th July. I am riding to raise money for the FireFighters Charity. I have also decided to add onto this ride by riding back home to Wrexham from London (another 200 miles).
The FireFighters Charity supporters Fire Service personnel and their families following physical and psychological injuries. Any sponsorship very gratefully received. Diolch

3 Likes

Same here with county type names. Only recently has Neath Port Talbot become available on some drop downs. A lot of people still favour the old names. I checked with the post office and they said that they dont rely on County names. Just postal town and postcode.

I suppose, in the end, it’s just a location reference. I’ve lived in Wrexham all my life. In that time we started in Denbighshire (pre-1974 counties that had been in existence for centuries), then we became Clwyd, then another regional government reorganisation we became Wrexham County Borough. Sir Dynbich or Clwyd or Wrecsam…it doesn’t alter the fact I am Welsh

2 Likes