Suggestions for watching S4C

Thanks, I tried the contact form. :slightly_smiling_face:
Noticed just as I hit send that I mistyped my own name due to fat-finger syndrome. I hate phones! :rofl: Oh well, I know that I know who I am!

1 Like

Fab - I hope they sort it out for you. (It’s probably causing a bit of head-scratching in the Clic/technical department as I type…)

And sympathise with the fat fingers - I am always doing that sort of thing!

1 Like

I said ages ago on the dead bird site that I was half considering changing my name to Ricahrd. A) It’d sound the same in Catalan; and B) it’s what I usually type, anyway.

2 Likes

This episode of Iaith ar Daith was on my radar anyway, but then I noticed Say Something in Welsh get a mention (I wanted to say my eyes pricked up but I’m pretty sure that’s not a saying in any language). There’s also a nice quote from Aran and the programme’s definitely on my watchlist now.

2 Likes

Pat out of Datblygu and one of my local venues. Cwl!

Wi’n mwynhau gwylio ‘Arfordir Cymru’ a’r ‘Llinell Las’ ar S4C Clic.
I enjoying watching Wales’ Coast and The Blue Line on S4C Clic.

Arfordir Cymru as you get to see the beautiful country that we have and the presenter and viewer are exposed to variations of words. Eg: Sietin, Clawdd, Claw, Perth and Gwrych (Hedge).

Y Llinell Las as it documents the everyday work that Heddlu Gogledd Cymru carry out and offers me personally an opportunity to hear and learn North Wales Welsh spoken in a real way.

Wi wedi mwynhau gwylio ‘Y Prif’ (The Chief) Which followed the Chief Constable of Dyfed Powys Police and his mission to better the Force.

Wi’n dod o Dde Cymru.
I come from South Wales.

1 Like

Given your interest in regional variations, maybe have a look at “Radio Fama” - it visits a different town or village in Wales every week and the presenters talk to ordinary local people, so you get a good variation of regional accents across the series.

2 Likes

Wi’n ddiolchgar iawn. I take it this actually a Radio Station, as opposed to S4C?

No, it’s an S4C TV programme. The presenters travel to the locations and set up an ultra-local radio show in a fold-up caravan. They interview people (on camera) in the caravan, hear their stories and play requests for them. and the cameras also follow some of them at home or work, as well as showing life in the location in general. It sounds like it shouldn’t work, but it does - it’s a format originally developed in the Netherlands that has been taken up by countries worldwide.

You can catch up on the current series here Clic

4 Likes

I agree with Siaron’s suggestion of Radio Fa’ma - I think it’s a lovely programme.

Also, have you found Sain Ffagan yet? It’s another “everyday work” programme, this time about the talented crew behind the scenes at the Sain Ffagan open-air museum just outside Cardiff (one of my favourite places!): Clic

2 Likes

Just wondering: is there a (legal!) way to watch s4c abroad? It’s a great way to immerse yourself in Welsh, but it’s hard to keep up on the Mainland…

We try to make as much available as we can, but it depends on third-party rights. There’s a regularly updated list of what can be seen abroad (with direct links to the programme on Clic) on the website here: International | S4C

3 Likes

There is no officially sanctioned way to access S4C from abroad besides the website s4c.cymru, and then you can only watch certain programs (those in the international section, see Sara’s post above) on-demand, but no live TV.

That said, in most countries it’s not illegal to use certain services, that make it look like your PC is accessing the website from within the UK. (It may be against the Terms of Service of the broadcaster or streaming service, but it certainly isn’t illegal).

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr iawn :heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

Ydw! Gwelais i Sain Ffagan ar S4C Clic a wi’n ei wylio weithiau. Wi’n ei hoffi a wi’n cofio mynd yno pan o’n i’n yn yr ysgol hefyd. Dylwn i fynd yn ôl i ymweld eto! :thinking:

1 Like

Definitely! It is such a magical place, and they are always adding new things - we went a few weeks ago and had a half in the new pub! Most (if not all?) of the volunteers there speak Welsh too, and are usually very happy to have a chat.

2 Likes