Suggestions for watching S4C

I finished Y Goleudy. It was really good fun, and reminded me of watching The Sarah Jane Adventures as a teen. :smiley:

2 Likes

Itopia: There are only a couple of episodes of each series up on S4C Clic at the moment, but if you have access to BBC iPlayer and don’t mind English-only subtitles, or if they ever re-run the whole of it on S4C it might fit the bill - it’s similar in a way to Y Goleudy (short episodes of teen near-future sci-fi), with someone who looks like Jeff Bezos (but acts like a Welsh Elon Musk) inadvertently bringing about a zombie-like plague with malfunctioning neural implants… Series 1 came with English subtitles, Series 2 with a choice of English or Welsh on S4C. Sadly, the most unbelievably sci-fi bit of it is probably the way all the computers understand idiomatic spoken Welsh - that seems less realistic at present than Neuralink turning people into zombies!

5 Likes

Excellent. I’m just warming up my dinner so I’ll start now! Don’t mind using iPlayer, in fact I generally do because I can watch it on my TV screen.

Diolch.

1 Like

Our TV now has S4C Clic as part of Freeview, so I can get S4C on the TV in the depths of Oxfordshire. Sometimes the offering differs from what you can get via iPlayer, and it often includes the option of Welsh-language subtitles (if that appeals).

2 Likes

@RichardBuck well, I’m dangerously hooked. Dragging myself to bed fighting the temptation to watch another.

3 Likes

(Clic)

Rybish is up now! I’m going to watch it after dinner. :smiley:

2 Likes

Sorry for the delayed response - I’ve been away from work.

There’s something similar in production for later in the year, I believe … I’ll make sure to share when it appears!

2 Likes

Hello, bawb!

I’m going slightly off piste today because I just wanted to flag a really brilliant series that I’m watching that isn’t from S4C!

I’m two-thirds through “Lost Boys and Fairies” on BBC iPlayer, and I think I’m correct in saying that it’s the first ever drama on prime time BBC 1 to use any significant Welsh in it. (Hinterland was on BBC 4…) It’s written by the wonderful Daf James, and draws heavily on his own experience of adopting as part of a gay couple.

If you’ve seen either of Daf’s Welsh-language stage plays Llwyth or Tylwyth you’ll be familiar with some of the themes, but they do get a different twist in this series. And it is beautifully written, acted and shot - I’m loving it, can you tell?

There is some fairly adult content (and language) in it, as well as portrayals of gay people being gay and adopting, so please don’t watch if that is going to upset you. But apart from that caveat - very highly recommended!

3 Likes

Ooh… people… I’ve just watched the third episode and it suddenly gets really dark! It’s still really good, but I need to issue a tissues advisory notice. And maybe don’t watch if you can’t cope with very sad things (my partner had to stop watching…)

I don’t know about anyone else, but the only think I’m watching at the moment is the Olympics. But I know sport isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, so if you’re looking for other things to watch, I’ve just noticed that there is a rail up on Clic at the moment called “Know Wales”, which is a collection of programmes/series all about different aspects/parts of Wales, including some that I know are popular here (e.g. Cynefin, Am Dro). Just thought I’d share in case you’re looking to escape the medal ceremonies!

Also, if you do like sport there’s a highlights programme from the bonkers event that is Ras yr Wyddfa (the race from Llanberis to the summit of Yr Wyddfa and back). My brother-in-law has done it a few times, and when I expressed my amazement, he said “It’s only 10 miles” (!)

3 Likes

Currently watching - I first wrote “enjoying”, but that’s not quite the right word, given the subject matter - Jerry Hunter’s new series on the Welsh missionary to the Cherokee, who was a witness to the Trail of Tears, and wound up being accepted as a member of the Cherokee. I have to say that whatever I expected when I first started doing SSiW, watching an interview in Cherokee with Welsh subtitles was definitely not on the list!

5 Likes

Oooh, I hadn’t noticed that one appearing on Clic! (It’s a repeat from 2016 … but I didn’t see it then either…) Thanks!

I hadn’t started learning Welsh then, so I definitely missed it! (Also, I think I noticed the name @siaronjames on the credits…)

1 Like

Yep, I worked on that. It’s certainly a heart-breaking story - I was welling up frequently in the course of the work.

4 Likes

Ooh, that does sound worth watching. Must remember.

Just because this is the most recently active S4C-related thread: are there reasons for / plans to fix the problem that cable TV only has English subtitles available for S4C? I know we can use Clic instead, but it’s a teensy bit annoying. Often the pop-up in the corner says there are English subtitles & isdeitlau Cymraeg, but I know that only applies to satellite TV. If I actually try, my only option is English. :cry:
I like watching television on my television. Dragging out the laptop is not really any difficulty, but annoying.

What country are you in? (I’m in England, and can get S4C Clic on the Freeview catch-up, so I can have isdeitlau yn y Gymraeg on my English - OK, Korean by way of Richer Sounds - TV!)

1 Like

Ah, well. I am in England, but my smart TV is more of a StupidTV.
Basically… iPlayer and other apps didn’t work… because there is no antenna… because I have cable… but the TV was confused… and the only solution after hours of Googling turned out to be “Disable FreeView!”
So I have no way of getting Clic on my TV and I realise this is crazy but I’m just glad there was this workaround because there are other “Smart” TVs that just cannot comprehend accessing iPlayer / ITVX etcetera without an antenna so they’re basically broken if you hook them up with internet/cable only.
I think it is because some of these apps like to check where you are to give you the right news / weather / adverts, and their method of checking is via antenna signal not IP address. Maybe.
Technology is ridiculous.
Anywho, I can watch S4C. It is one of many channels that come to my house via Virgin Media fibre optic cable. It just only has English subtitles because… apparently that’s just a thing? S4C website even says, you can get Cymraeg if you have a satellite.
I wish it made sense, I really do.

Ah. I’ll stop being helpy, then… :sympathetic but sad face:

2 Likes

I am an absolute dunce when it comes to anything technical. However, our Viewers Hotline team are brilliant, and they’re really good at helping people (and escalating things that they can’t sort out). Have you contacted them about this issue? If not, that would be my suggestion - see Contact Us | S4C for all of the contact options (including phone number).

1 Like