Struggling Now!

From exercises 7 and 8 just don’t seem to be going in never mind how many times i go over them I seem to be hitting a bit of a wall! Does anyone or has anyone else had a similar experience or is it just me???

Hi Jeff, I’m pretty sure almost each one of us had that moment at some point (and usually more than once!).
So first of all I would say: don’t worry, it happens! :slight_smile:

Then, remember from the course guidelines that you’re not meant to get it all right before moving on to next challenge. All you need is being able to say something (I actually also used pause button - to have a little time to process the English and remember as many Welsh words as possible - which in some cases were no more than a couple by the way!).

Most of the words/expressions will come back in next lessons, so they’ll become more familiar and remember them at some point!

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply Gisela I is most appreciated, I just feel like I am hitting a brick wall at the moment.

Diolch Jeff

Yes! I’ve had it with 3, 9 and 12. I have found though, that if I move on, i actually have remembered, my brain just needed convincing! :grinning:

1 Like

I think I first ran into that in challenge 4. I tried it over and over, and felt like I wasn’t retaining anything. In the end I went to the next challenge because I didn’t know what else to do.

It worked out though - your brain is learning more than you think it is, and the material is revisited so often that it will go in eventually. The stuff from that challenge took longer, but it did go in over time.

Even if you feel like you’re not retaining anything from a particular challenge, I’d advise against repeating it too much. Eventually that’ll just lead to feeling frustrated and you won’t be any better off for it.

1 Like

Me too - you are not alone!
It happened to me in lots of places, but I’ve stopped worrying about it when it happens now, because it DOES fall into place if I keep moving forward. Somewhere round about the end of Level 1 I found a rhythm/pace that really suits me and I’ve been sticking to it, regardless of how easy or hard individual challenges are. I’m part way into Level 3 now.
I’ve spent much of my life feeling that I never get things right and being generally pretty rubbish, so it is really liberating knowing that I can keep going forward regardless of how well I am doing, or THINK I am doing.
The funny thing is in doing that, I know I really AM doing well - I can actually say quite a lot of stuff, and if I take my time I can have a decent chat with the postman, or the guy in the local shop.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for posting this!
I’m having this issue right now with Challenge 4. Some phrases just will not go in, no matter how hard I seem to try.
It’s difficult to trust that it will work out!