Stave off dementia by learning Welsh!

Another good reason to learn Welsh (or any other new language!)

Study into how language delays onset of dementia - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-42886423

5 Likes

One reason Iā€™m here,

reason Iā€™m here

Actually the main reason Iā€™m here. I enjoy language learning and have always believed in life-long learning as a way to keep the brain healthy.

1 Like

Make that three of us so far. Itā€™s not the only reason, but certainly one of them.
Sue

1 Like

Could this be a marketing opportunity for SSiW? or anyone else teaching Welsh? To be honest, Iā€™m not doing this out of any particular interest in Welsh language or culture -(sorry!). Its just a question of whatā€™s available language-learning-wise in my area. Which isnā€™t much, as it turns out. I really wanted to learn Russian, but that isnā€™t possible in my area. But I see that as a positive: you donā€™t need any other reason to learn Welsh other than that itā€™s a mental exercise. This widens it out. And if it makes people happy who have a cultural agenda, its win-win, tydy?

My Dad died of Alzheimerā€™s and my Mum is in the final stage now, and this is a strong factor in why I wanted to learn another language. Although having started, I am enjoying it too.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s the thing. Itā€™s fun. I enjoy the almost physical sensation that comes with ā€œoh I get this now. I can see the pattern. Its not so hard after all.ā€

And the Welsh culture will draw you in gradually, anyway. Itā€™s unavoidable. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, I can see how that might happen eventually. Its all good.

I disagree that language learning staves off dementia (although Iā€™m hoping itā€™s true, wrth gwrs!) I also study German and Spanish, and can chat quite comfortably in both. However, while using these languages Iā€™ve often used a word from the other language without realising it. I think that my head says ā€˜foreignā€™ and out comes something, but not necessarily in the expected language. My classmates and friends of both languages think this is very funny. So I fully expect to become demented in four languages, since I include English. And the problems that I am having with learning Welsh make me think that dementia may come sooner rather than later. Iā€™n nearly 74 now; ask me again in a few years time!

1 Like

I have been doing that for years, since 1970ā€™ish! My classic was ā€˜halenā€™ for salt when trying to communicate in French! I donā€™t think i was showing any signs of dementia at 29!

Itā€™s a very widely studied element of language use, and lots and lots of evidence that it makes a consistent difference, so itā€™s one of the more certain aspects of the fieldā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

At age 82 I am certainly hoping it will stave off dementia, but it must have been Welsh grammar that caused me a mild stroke last year!! (ā€œMae y Gramadeg Cymreig perfedd mochā€). My favourite word remains ā€œLlongyfarchiadauā€ - which I announce loudly to myself when I get some grammar nearly right!!

5 Likes