So who wants to be in the SSiW band?

This is an idea which came up in conversation over breakfast, the morning after the last SSiW Birthday Bash and those involved in the conversation then, thought it would be a fun and interesting idea to get an SSiW band together before the next big party so we can be our own entertainment.

Here’s how the thought process went…

Whenever there’s an SSiW gathering with a party feel to it, there’s also music.
Several SSiW learners are also musicians of some kind.
SSiW as a course has encouraged a love for Welsh music and culture in it’s learners.
Having an SSiW band would be awesome.
Having an SSiW band would be so much fun.
We don’t have to take ourselves seriously.
We do covers of Welsh rock and pop songs we love.
Members can also practice at home.
We can communicate over Skype, Google Hangouts, emails, phone and text.
We can call ourselves Y Dysgwyr?
We can put videos up on YouTube.

So here’s how I’m thinking we can do it -

I’m planning on next years annual party to be much later in the year to make it easier for people to attend (post Christmas finances and bad weather tend to hinder), so this gives us more time to organise ourselves. We need people who can play instruments and who could easily attend (a handful) of practice sessions in mid/west/east Wales. On the same note we need to find a location where we can practice and our band members need to have their own instruments. We will probably also need to source and borrow amps/mikes etc. and get someone good at videoing stuff to film us for YouTube.

I have contacts in the Welsh music industry who (I’m absolutely sure) would be willing to help out.

Again - We don’t have to take ourselves seriously.

This is purely for fun and a bit of indulgence and I am willing/happy/excited about coordinating it all… if you’ll let me sing… :wink:

So quickly off the top of my head I’m thinking that seeing as Mr Geraint (Gruntius) Scourfield was part of the original discussion that he’s like to be a drummer? I’m sure that once he’s back in the UK that Ifan (kinetic) would like to be on the piano/keyboard… so who else?

Who else wants to either join in the fun?

1 Like

Yes, yes and yes. Of course I’m up for it. Where do I audition?

Wow, this is a really exciting idea!! If I played an instrument and lived in Wales, I’d love to do this…sadly I can’t and I don’t…however, I can’t wait to see how this comes together. Maybe you could practice in front of a webcam on the google hang out?

Roll on the next party!!

The good news is I play guitar, bass and saxophone (badly) and have loads of equipment. The bad news is I have a 32,000 km round trip for practices.

I’m not technically minded but I’m guessing there’s a lag when using things like google hangout which would make using them for practice pretty difficult. If all the songs are covers and everyone had the same version of them it’s just a simple case of learning them individually … As long as everyone is strict enough. I’ve done this a few times in the past and it works to a certain degree. A quick practice of a song or two to get to ‘know’ eachother should be all that’s needed.

I’m with Vaughan. Can I be a groupie?

I used to play guitar when I was younger, and I still have my guitars and bass too. 2 problems I have is
a) I haven’t played for YEARS! and
b) Living on the opposite side of the UK will be a problem.
It would be good to see how the band forms and develops though.

I’m guessing there’s a lag when using things like google hangout which would make using them for practice pretty difficult

Yes, prohibitively so.

" I used to play guitar when I was younger, and I still have my guitars and bass too. 2 problems I have is
a) I haven’t played for YEARS! and
b) Living on the opposite side of the UK will be a problem.
It would be good to see how the band forms and develops though.
"

I’m hoping to get to the next party so possibly we could workout a duet, Gavin…So, question “b” is resolved. Good time to dust of the guitar which answers question “a”

Gruntius - I’m guessing there’s a lag when using things like google hangout which would make using them for practice pretty difficult

Wondersheep - Yes, prohibitively so.

Absolutely agree! I was thinking of using Google hangout etc just to keep in touch and share ideas. :wink:

Gruntius - If all the songs are covers and everyone had the same version of them it’s just a simple case of learning them individually … As long as everyone is strict enough. I’ve done this a few times in the past and it works to a certain degree. A quick practice of a song or two to get to ‘know’ eachother should be all that’s needed.

This is absolutely what I had in mind with a few get together practices thrown in in between! :slight_smile:

So glad this is gaining momentum! :slight_smile:

Yes please :slight_smile:

I play guitar, and bass a bit. Good enough for “not taking ourselves seriously”, anyway. I could get to the occasional practise from Coventry, I reckon.

What are we practising then? Dwbl Jin a Tonic was fun at Bootcamp; I like International Velvet for the chance to belt out the chorus, even though that bit’s yn Saesneg; and I reckon something Ar hyd y nos -ish would be lovely for a change of tempo - but my knowledge of music yn Cymraeg is pretty limited so far (I can make another ten Meinir Gwylim suggestions though …).

Suggestions?

A quick mention about equipment … the PA I took to the party last year was part owned by me and another guy but I’ve since sold my half to him but I may be able to borrow it or even hire it depending on how cheeky I feel and also depending on whether I pass the audition. :wink:

There may be enough guitarists (2 a penny) and singers to have different people playing parts of the “set” swapping around as you go. I’ve learnt a 22 song set over a weekend before now so that’s no problem for me and if there are other drummers out there then I don’t mind at all.

I play a bit of bass these days, too. Before that and for years, I used to play in Irish bands of various flavours. I started out as a mandolin player when I was 15 and went on to fiddle and stuff.

I’m always on for band stuff as long as I don’t have to sing :slight_smile:

Os mae eisiau i chi fidl, dw i’n gallu helpu chi… sa i’n siwr pa fath o band ydych chi’n meddwl am gwneud, ond byddwn i’n hapus iawn i chwarae. Dw i wedi gwneud classical fel arfer ond typyn back o folk, jazz hefyd. Dw i’n byw yn Hertfordshire. Pob lwc gyda’r syniad!

Mark - I play guitar, and bass a bit. Good enough for “not taking ourselves seriously”, anyway. I could get to the occasional practise from Coventry, I reckon.

Dwbl Jin a Tonic was fun at Bootcamp; I like International Velvet for the chance to belt out the chorus, even though that bit’s yn Saesneg; and I reckon something Ar hyd y nos -ish would be lovely for a change of tempo - but my knowledge of music yn Cymraeg is pretty limited so far (I can make another ten Meinir Gwylim suggestions though …).

Suggestions?

I thought you play very well Mark and yes didn’t we do well with Dybl Gin a Tonic! Aran and myself have the same ‘100 o Ganeuon Pop’ and there are certainly some great ones in there so a good place to start for sure.

One of my suggestions would be ‘Y Gan Go Iawn’ by Fflur Dafydd - I love it and it’s certainly band material - some great drumming in it Geraint.

Geraint - A quick mention about equipment … the PA I took to the party last year was part owned by me and another guy but I’ve since sold my half to him but I may be able to borrow it or even hire it depending on how cheeky I feel and also depending on whether I pass the audition. :wink:

that’s brilliant Geraint, and if not I’m sure we can source/borrow a PA system from somewhere - maybe the place we end up practicing in will have one… oh and by the way, I think you’ve already passed the ‘audition’ … :wink:

Andy Gildon - I play a bit of bass these days, too. Before that and for years, I used to play in Irish bands of various flavours. I started out as a mandolin player when I was 15 and went on to fiddle and stuff.

I’m always on for band stuff as long as I don’t have to sing :slight_smile:

Brilliant Andy! Count yourself ‘hired’ and don’t worry about the singing… I’m dying to have a go… :wink:

Nobot77 - Os mae eisiau i chi fidl, dw i’n gallu helpu chi… sa i’n siwr pa fath o band ydych chi’n meddwl am gwneud, ond byddwn i’n hapus iawn i chwarae. Dw i wedi gwneud classical fel arfer ond typyn back o folk, jazz hefyd…

A fidl would be fabulous! And the offer of a bit of Jazz is irresistible to a girl like me… :wink:

So my first suggestion for everyone who seriously wants to get involved would be to buy the following book - http://www.ylolfa.com/en/dangos.php?ISBN=9781847712417

The album ‘Un Ffordd Mas’ by Fflur Dafydd is well worth a listen, it’s a fabulous album.

I particularly like ‘Y Gan Go Iawn’ as mentioned above, I reckon if I could get hold of the music that it’s a goer…

http://www.sioplawrlwythosain.com/buy/un-ffordd-mas-1/

Catrin admitted: I’m dying to have a go… :wink:

Ah so that’s what this is really all about.

Catrin admitted: I’m dying to have a go… :wink:

Geraint - Ah so that’s what this is really all about.

Great, now everyone knows about my midlife crisis… not that the Harley Davidson, new tattoo and pink highlights gave it away at all.

Can I have a go on your Harley?

If you come up with a list of songs that suit your voice then that’s good enough for me. I’ll get hold of them and learn them and wait for further instruction. :wink:

Also, I can’t find that song on YouTube, does anyone know if it’s on there? Or failing that, where I could listen to it. Thanks.