Skype lessons available

Couldn’t agree more!

On a different topic, have you looked at any of our Online Eisteddfod entries? The voting is open now and I’ve just been listening to the Cerdd Dant - it’s amazing! And the poetry is really emotional - we have some really talented learners here.

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

… and some a bit scared (like me) who don’t dare to enter the competition just yet. Maybe another year and after one more magic provided from someone (or somewhere).

I expect you to be there next year Tatjana - no reason why you can’t be! :sunny:

2 Likes

:smiley: You’re setting me a challenge huh?

Do you know what @Deborah-SSi? I’m taking it!

But tell me - after voting the topics of Eisteddfod will still be there? I’ll surely need some “take a look” back …

Challenge number ?? then. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t think why? I remember proofreading one of your poems and found it very well written - despite you only being new to learning Welsh! That was some time ago now, so surely now you will be able to submit something that will give other entrants a run for their money?? Gots to be worth a go…,

4 Likes

Oh, you all, endless believers! Thank you! Next year it is.

Thank you for this. Well, that poem was first written in English and then afterwards translated to Cymraeg. I didn’t try to do anything from scratch yet but I might …

2 Likes

Could I read it, Tatjana, please?
I’m secretly hoping there will be some poetry section here on a regular basis, with poems from learners. I’m very interested in this particular topic of Welsh, as its my ambition to be able to translate some Russian literature into Welsh one day - Pasternak and Arsenij Tarkovskiy, perhaps.

Mererid, I’m terribly sorry for going off-topic in your thread. I’m notorious for posting off-topic things wherever I go, please excuse me.

1 Like

Ja, me too, (despite I’ve angered one of members because saying in one thread we’ve gone off topic but he didn’t quite understood what I wanted to say (I’ve allerted myself not him) and edited his posts out … Guilt is all mine on that one and I feel bad about this (feel guilty) …

Here it is - Challenge Number 5 but I warn you, it has nothing to do with Cymru except it is translated into Cymraeg. I was in those (hope past ever) stages of sadness and feeling lonely when I’ve written it in English and then I just thought later on I could put some effort into translating it.

But, please, to prevent not to go even more off topic, if you’d leave comment, leave it there. Diolch. :slight_smile: Ac diolch y darllen.

1 Like

@tatjana I can’t think you are too scared either. You sang the National Anthem for us last week and had the courage to put it on line. Go for it! :grinning:

3 Likes

O boy … Now I have stage fright … :slight_smile: … OK, I have a year to go (don’t make any additional Eisteddfod just yet now. - hehe).

1 Like

Wow - that would be fantastic. Not Tolstoy?? I imagine that would be a superhuman feat,

Justin

1 Like

No, I can’t even imagine that! I would love to translate some Dostoeskij though (I’m too ambitious, I know)

4 Likes

Ooh wow! Great idea! I might even understand Dostoevskij if it was translated into Welsh @stella! I’d think it’d be fun to translate some Gabriel Garcia-Marquez or Murakami because I reckon that Welsh could possibly lend itself well to some magic realism. Hmmm, if only I had some more free time… :wink:

3 Likes

That would be fantastic, I think, Welsh would be really suited to magic realism. If only I knew it a bit better! I can even write fiction in English, which is a foreign language for me, so I hope that one day I will feel the Welsh to the point that I can translate my favourite authors.

4 Likes

Yes, Yes - this!! Two of my absolutely favourite authors. I agree Mererid - where is that free time when you need it?

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr iawn @aran and @Deborah-SSi for the kind introduction in the newsletter. I was truly touched. :slight_smile::blush:

3 Likes

I have occasionally wondered if there should be a section of the forum where people can experiment with writing Welsh in general, and get corrections if they want them. Did this use to exist on one of the old manifestations of the forum? (I remember there was a stern warning to beginners not to try writing in Welsh at first). At one time, people could have done this on forumwales, but it seems to be in hibernation these days.

3 Likes

I remember opening a thread some time ago, but people were not too eager to participate and I started feeling a bit narcissistic writing there almost alone:) I had dialogues with Elswyth in that thread, but later she disappeared, which was very sad.

Here it is @stella’s topic:

Ymarfer Cymraeg

So the “conversation” can continue there if one is eager to do so.

2 Likes

Oh, it would be slightly embarrassing to read it now, after I have finally memorised that yn in predicative sentences causes soft mutation! I didn’t seem to get it at that time:)