Six Nations

Ok what have we learnt…

The back row isn’t balanced. Playing Warbuton and Tipuric together doesn’t work. Never has.
We take too long at the breakdown. Rhys Webb may snipe but he takes too long to distribute the ball.
Biggar doesn’t get the line moving.
Ball and WynJones don’t work together. Charteris is real nuisance and should start.
Howley needs to be replaced. His paint by numbers approach isn’t working. Eg…60 minutes have gone lets send on Roberts, Faletau etc

1 Like

Agreed with all of the above.

I like that they tried the off loads but skill level isn’t high enough. There’s a good interview with the former coach of Fiji Sevens about skill in rugby compared to other sports.

George North and Halfpenny are still some way off confident. I like Scott Williams but he’s not been good recently for Wales and I think your point about Biggar is key there. I rate Warburton, I’d have him over Tipuric personally. They’re both very good but not together.

I didn’t agree with the ref at the scrum or with some of the open play decisions.

Onto Scotland…

What a difference two years has made!! Vern Cotter deserves all the plaudits he gets. So do the Glasgow coaching staff. It’s good to have a competitive Scotland again. It’s been far far too long.

I said this already 2 years ago …

They were sent … too late as for Chartris aswell.

Halfpenny more …

Wales still too predictable and even when they want to play fast game they end stopped, pushed back, being stolen of the ball or making foolish mistake at the end … .and the quick game is over for a while.

I already said some years ago “beware of Scotland and (especially) Italy.” Scotland is obviously returning and Italy is better and better every year. Both don’t give up just easily and when there’s a chance to win they are tireless, attacking and attacking until the last second of the game is gone (and afterwards sometimes. :slight_smile: )

Obveiously we don’t have a chance to win competition so I’d like to see Scotland winning now. Why not actually? :slight_smile:

And Wales? I believe they need a coach who’d teach them reall skill of speed combined with holding the ball at the same time. As I often said … playing some real handball would come handy. :slight_smile:

Enough said.

I never rated Howley that high as a player. OK some poor players make OK coaches, but I agree with @Pete2 about him. What we need is a coach who values what our lads have always been good at - fast running rugby and scoring tries! Now I’m watching the next game - currently Iwerddon 7 Ffrainc 6!

Obviously not fast enough … sadly.

I disagree with “very, very lucky to be 5th”. Ran in 3 good tries against Italy and were unlucky against England. It’s only that last game that Wales have been out played for a full 40 minutes. Italy are yet to earn a bonus point.

2 Likes

OK, i exaggerated! I didn’t really mean it literally, but I don’t rate our chances against the two nations I’m watching now. So 5th is what we deserve! But I do not LIKE being 5th out of 6th in Europe!

No, although France beat Scotland, so this tournament doesn’t appear to be following much of a script. Any given Sunday as our American cousins say. Anything is possible on the day. Ireland in Cardiff, 2 years ago produced a major upset…

Oh I remember when Ireland always seemed to do that! If we had beaten everyone else, dammo, Ireland would beat us! If we were doing badly, our one good win would be against Ireland! Home or away didn’t seem to make much difference and our crowds just wanted a good game! Truly friendly occasions!
ps- on form Scotand would murder France, but they lost!
Any chance Lloegr will be uber- confident yfory and Yr Eidal will win??? :wink:
So, I 19 Ff 9 ! Hwyl pawb!

If only that happens! This time I cheer for my neighbours … no offence to those from England but isn’t it a time for another unexpected turn around? The championship is much more interesting this way instead of everything being predicted and known in advance … :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think England will get a winning bonus point tomorrow. I worry for Italy.

I am crossing my fingers! To English Forum users - nothing personal! I share this house with a lady who is very cross with me for not supporting England, despite the fact that she had a Scottish mother and votes SNP!
A friend of ours is a half Italian Scot who regards herself as English and supports them for everything!
So I am simply one end of a continuum up here!

2 Likes

Yah, it can be (and probably will be) a heavy loose for Italy unfortunately. However, let’s see what happens. :slight_smile:

After today at Twickenam, no games wythnos nesa, but on
Friday 10/3 Cymru v Iwerddon 20.05 (8,05 pm)
Saturday 11/3,
13.30 Yr Eidal v Ffrainc
16.00 Lloegr v Yr Alban
then
Saturday 18th March:-
12.30 Yr Alban v Yr Eidal
14.45 Ffrainc v Cymru
17.00 Iwerddon v Lloegr

And on Sunday 12th March I turn 30. Completely unrelated.

1 Like

Memrise rugby terms

1 Like

Penblwydd hapus! (In case I forget then … :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, Anthony bach, you are young enough for me to be your Nain!

1 Like

It’s hard to be critical of the Welsh coaches after some of the successes of recent years but I sometimes think they’ve missed an opportunity to take a very talented group of players to the next level.

2 Likes