Scandinavians?!

Let us know how it goes, and don’t hesitate to ask for help if anything doesn’t seem clear :sunny:

Ja,takk for det!

1 Like

Sorry for the slightly off-topic, but I figure people who look at this thread might be interested:

For those who can access BBC4 ( by whatever means) at 21:00 tonight Wed 12 Sept 2015, BBC 4 are showing a presentation of “Beck”, i.e. Martin Beck, a Swedish detective created by the novelists Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö (whose names I can never spell without looking it up…).

A Swedish classic, originally from the 1960s and 1970s, I think the stories have been dramatised in several countries over the year (I’ve even heard a radio version on BBC Radio), I guess this is a new production.

Don’t know if it will be brought up to date, or made as a period piece.

Swedish with English subtitles

Turn off the subtitles and see how much you can understand! :smile:

(Um, I’m referring to the the non-Swedes here … :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

Hei Ingrid
I have been learning Welsh for a few years now , but find it difficult to speak the language with a Norwegian acsen.
Quite a few learners have a foundation from school already.
I think it is harder to learn a language through a second language. Or, perhaps I’m just making up excuses?
Love to hear what you think!
Wenche ( ja skal pa det!)

1 Like

I’m absolutely certain it is. But Welsh in accents from other countries is (almost always!) rather lovely :sunny:

1 Like

That’s bad news for me then! I started a Spanish for beginners (yes, Aran! I really am rubbish at languages!!) through the medium of Welsh last week! Week 1 went well I thought, but guess it is going to get an awful lot harder isn’t it?! But at least I am willing to have a go!

3 Likes

Very sad to hear that Henning Mankell has died:

For some of us, he introduced us to the whole “Scandi-noir” thing a few years ago, with the “Wallander” books, and later the various versions on TV.

That’s quite a challenge Ali! Last time I tried it I thought my head was going to explode!

There’s every chance that my head will explode, or just dissolve and trickle away slowly! Lesson 2 tonight, but I will miss next week as I am walking another section of the coastal path, so will be travelling back from Abermaw. Hopefully I will be able to keep up with the rest of the class (15 ish), but I fear not, as most of them are about half my age! Maybe the words and phrases that are lurking in the back of my brain (somewhere, I hope!) from my SSISpanish will stand me in good stead for future lessons. It is interesting that I was the only one who volunteered (twice) to say something in the class last week! Only just realised that that it is not normal for me to do that in a class of people I do not know! Remember me at the first Bootcamp?!

1 Like

Have you considered running through the last of the SSiSpanish sessions that you did? Just the last one - it should wake up most of it for you… :sunny:

Only 67!! Oh gosh!! He was practically a baby and had written so much! I feel a total failure in comparison!!
To all of our Scandinavians… please sign the petitions to save S4C, especially the one I started to folk outside Wales!.

1 Like

I just realized I never replied to you! Sorry about that!

I’ve actually never had the opportunity to speak Welsh with someone other than my reflection, so I wouldn’t know about the accent issue (I hopefully will as soon as some proper Welshman points it out ;)), but it really is harder to learn through a second language, absolutely. But it’s a challenge I appreciate, and I’m thankful it’s a thing I can do! A lot of people who speak two languages wouldn’t bother learning a third.

Hey!
I’m very very new to Welsh, I am German but live in Norway.
I’d be happy to meet people in and around Oslo that also learn or speak Welsh. :slight_smile:

Diolch
Sophie

1 Like

We’ll put something in the weekly email and see if we can find anyone for you! And a warm welcome to the forum… :slight_smile:

@Deborah-SSi :star: :star2:

No direct help to you I’m afraid, but I’m aware of one Swedish chap who has done Course 1 of SSiW. He’s a fellow member of the language-learners.org forum. There is quite a bit of interest in Celtic over there, but for some reason it seems to be Irish that gets more traction. However, if I come across any Norwegians (or at least Oslo area residents) with the necessary interest I’ll point them in your direction, or of course, you can go over there yourself.

1 Like

I just came across this Swedish web site, which has units for teaching lots of languages, including learning Welsh from Swedish, although it seems to be translations from English to Kymriska, with Swedish instructions. Does anyone else know anything about this one?

https://glosor.eu/

https://glosor.eu/skriv-ut/if/kymriska

2 Likes