Saving S4C

If I’m looking at right thing there are 2000 signatories, they do a countdown of how many to a certain point in this case 2500 so is that the figure that’s dropping?

1 Like

I see only public signatures in the statistic and there are 281 of them. Quite some who signed didn’t write their coutnry, region County or whatever but there are many who did. There are also many who did give their comment. So I’m not sure which stats are you viewing @theresacorbett.

EDIT
@theresacorbett the results which you’ve mentioned here are for the other petition which was not created from members of our forum but was shared here by @siaronjames. That petition really has 2.000 supporters though.

1 Like

That one is for people in and outside Wales, so is bound to have more.
I specially started this one to try to show the UK Government that the language isn’t just the concern of a ‘few ignorant Welsh peasants’… which is how the residents of Capel Celyn were seen when their village was drowned!! I honestly think that the outcry from that led to the protests about the Investiture in '69 (which I was part of…if protesting in London counts!) The green painted signs (even on Gower! [No, that wasn’t me!! Honest!!]) defaced signs and Gwynfor’s hunger strike gained us S4C, if I remember rightly… with Maggie first promising it and then breaking her promise before being…er… persuaded to U-turn… something that lady did not like to do!! Someone in San Steffan may recall that affair and decide it’s easier to let S4C have a bit of cash than risk a real brwhaha!!

1 Like

I mentioned figures for @theresacorbett so that she would be able to establish which petition she’s watching/reading/signing. :slight_smile:

This might be off track , but can someone explain to me how they work out the audience figures? If online watching isn’t counted, then even though I live in Wales, I presume my viewing wouldn’t contribute to the figures as I don’t have a TV signal where I live, and I have to watch online. I can’t be the only person in Wales in that position, surely? There do seem to be a lot of mountains. Do they count people who watch via satellite? Who the heck do they count?

That is a very good question!! Sign ‘my’ petition and comment that yoy have to watch on line due to no TV signal!!
I think figures are based on asking people… they used to stop people in the street… I was asked years ago once. But in this day and age… I just don’t know how they measure.

1 Like

I believe this is pure digital way. Everything can be tracked these days, every signal measured, monitored, watched so getting those figures might be just a matter of setting some gatherings of the signals in one computer or something like that and then the computer does what it is commanded to be done.

Simple, isn’t it?

I live in Glamorgan but have signed the petition as I would be completely lost without S4C because it is the only television I watch except for the news in English, I watch it again in Welsh because it is a very good way of learning.

2 Likes

At the risk of mixing up threads and confusing people, I’m posting the link to the other petition here too in case anyone has missed the fact that there are now two:

The one that this thread refers to was set up to raise awareness of S4C viewers outside of Wales:

The original petition presumably can (and should!) be signed by anyone, whether or not in Britain:

(Hope I’ve got that right!)

4 Likes

Just signed one but will sign the other - just in case.

1 Like

You’re not the only person in Wales in this position!
I live in Barry, and our nearest mast is in Wenvoe - just up the road really. Yet because of geographical issues, I cannot get a signal from this mast! My external tv aerial is picking up TV signals from Somerset, which is further away, but has the clearest view!
Because of this, I have to receive all my local TV from Sky. I’m not entirely sure if viewing figures are collated through this medium either, or Virgin and other digital services for that matter - which is where the rest of the UK will be able to view S4C from.
It will be interesting to know how exactly they DO collate their figures though.

1 Like

I did just right now in hope there will be some who would give their signature too.

We had the same problem on the west side of Gower. I could get S4C, but with a lot of snow!! Over in North Devon, they got S4C beautifully!!!
To ALL who have signed, may I say how lovely some of the comments are. I have suggested to the lass from S4C who wrote to me that they read them… I think it will give them a lift in spirits!! It is always good to feel appreciated!

5 Likes

http://www.barb.co.uk/resources/barb-facts/how-we-do-what-we-do?_s=4

1 Like

Thanks a million for this!! I haven’t time to watch it now, but will as soon as I can!!
p.s. I’ll find time to do a bit of dysgu Cymraeg in a week or two!!!
to @robbruce
p.p.s. Having watched it, I can see that they try to include those of us in England, Scotland or NI who watch S4C, but statistically, given how small their sample is, I suspect it would be highly unlikely that one of us is picked up!! Also, clearly, since they only survey in UK, nobody watching elsewhere will get counted!!
Did anyone see the UK Minister in San Steffan declaring that “this channel (S4C) has a very high budget per viewer.”? He was making it clear that, like Maggie Thatcher before him, he doesn’t think us worth bothering with!! (Thinks, Maggie had to U turn!!!)

1 Like

@tatjana The Change.org petition was first posted on Clecs several days ago, (I think by norajones).

Yes. I’ve seen this whein comming to Clecs but I still shared it anyway. Better many times then no time at all. :slight_smile:

But thenk you for allerting me though.

2 Likes

To @aran @tatjana and others interested:

1. I wish the UK Government and S4C could read the comments people are putting on the petition. They are really lovely!
  2. The number of signatures seems very unlikely to crawl above 600. I suppose I was asking a lot to people world wide. Most have never heard of S4C. If it sticks in the upper 500s, is it worth sending, or am I just wasting everyone’s time?
    I haven’t checked the other petition recently, but it is in the thousands, so much more likely to do some good!!
    I keep getting a vision of those poor Capel Celyn folk going to Liverpool Town Hall in their Sunday best and being ignored.

Nothing is waste of time. No matter how many signatures the petition gains. I believe if you send the petition those receiving it can see comments too. To be honest I never did any petition by my own or send one so I might be mistaken, but I believe the comments are not for nothing. They’d surely serve some purpose.

Don’t compare our petition to other petition. This one is yours/ours so despite not signitaruse in thousands it surely can mean something. 2000 or 3000 petition signature there (on other petition) 500 here and it’s already 3500. I believe both petitions are saying practically the same just slightly different way: [size=20]Don’t stop funding S4C the way you did! Don’t let it “die”[/size] Right?

We will be heard at least a bit, no matter what … will they really hear us … this is a bit different question on which you don’t have much influence though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @robbruce. That was surprisingly interesting!

1 Like