Salon Creadigol--it's more than meets the eye

Diolch Jason, that means a lot to me :smiling_face:

2 Likes

‘Eurbincod’: I enjoy the challenge of digitally sculpting, painting and posing birds on my iPad, taking a screenshot of the result from the best angle and then experimenting by giving the 2D image different kinds of backgrounds and frames (using the Frame Builder app I mentioned in a previous post). Much cheaper than paying for ‘real’ frames! When I print things off at home, I tend to frame them as well myself using frames rescued from charity shops. That’s the case with the little one here (£3). I was surprised and pleased to see that the teasels I had already sculpted on my iPad last year look pretty close to the real teasels in the wooden vase (£2, also from a charity shop) which I found in my local community wildflower meadow last month. I thought I would pair them up. I guess you could call this a form of ‘mixed media’! I just have to be careful not to scratch myself when switching off the lights. :joy:

5 Likes

Beautiful. I like them all, but for me, the black one really pops.

2 Likes

It’s only good I don’t tend towards envy, I’d be livid by now. You are such gifted people, it’s a delight to go through this thread.

The lovely little embroidery sample by someone’s mum earlier on reminds me of family research from a time when we Germans had to show that we belonged (reminds me of the post-Brexit treatment of Europeans in the UK, though clearly not as sinister as in Germany in the '30s). One great-grandfather’s occupation in the 19th century was shown as “Passementier”, a person who travelled the region to sell to the manor houses etc the lace and embroidery items produced by his wife and daughters, a cottage industry estab.ished during the hard times when the Napoleonic armies were devastating the country.

Even my grandmother, mother and aunts could still produce wonderful items, my surviving aunt was a marvel at knitting and my mother could sew anything. The creative bones ended with them, I’m afraid, although my son is creative with language. I once embroidered linen napkins at school!

3 Likes

Folks, it is 7:30 am in Vancouver, and I am heading to the dentist, so could be a while. However, I have to tell you that sitting with my first cuppa’ an hour ago, I realised that studying your artwork and enjoying your comments beats listening to the news as the start to any day. Thank you for this–you cheer me enormously.

I do have a quick idea to float… how about we start a vocabulary of the tools and materials we use so that those doing Welsh practice on Slack could discuss what we are doing here in Salon Creadigol? Even if we have to just make a list in English which others in SSiW could help fill in the blanks so become creatively involved???

Hwyl,
Mari

4 Likes

I agree. Black backgrounds have that effect. I’ve done a few other birds with black backgrounds which I’ll get around to posting here in due course.

2 Likes

I think that’s a great idea! :smiley: * checks all online dictionary tabs are open *

1 Like

Great idea Marilyn! Here’s my starter for 10. Open to any corrections if these aren’t correct.

Ysgrifbin - Fountain-pen
Pen llinel fain - Fine liner pen
Pensil - Pencil
Paent dyfrlliw - Watercolour paint
Braslunio - Sketching
Pen a golchi - Pen and wash (* llinel a golchiad…with thanks to Siaron for the correction)

2 Likes

As you’ve said that you’re open to corrections, could I offer the term llinell a golchiad rather than “pen a golchi”?

2 Likes

Hello Sanne, Schön von Dir zu hören (wir können einander duzen, oder?). I spent many happy years in Bavaria (‘Mia san Mia’!) and still keep in contact with old friends and colleagues over there. I’m always interested to discover connections between Germany and Wales and was amazed to read recently that a German once won a literature prize at an Eisteddfod Genedlaethol. The person, from Wittenberg, who won was a woman. And, amazingly, the year in which she won was 1942 - a year in which many other Europeans were unfortunately engaged in far less pleasant activities. I bought my flags-badge at the Rhondda Heritage Park shop many years ago and still keep it safe with me.
Viele Grüsse
Jason

4 Likes

Here’s a vocab list based on what I’ve posted so far - let me know if there’s any word I’ve missed that you think I should add.

sea-glass : no single term as far as I’ve come across, but gwydr môr / gwydr y morfa / gwydr arfor are all candidates.
slate : llechfaen
cross-stitch : pwyth croes
pressed flowers : blodau gwasgedig
embroidery : brodwaith
rusty : rhydlyd
multi-media : amlgyfrwng
sculpture : cerfluniaeth / cerflunwaith
assemblage : cydosodiad
copper wire : gwifren/weiren gopr
glue : glud

2 Likes

Excellent idea! And with Siaron in the group, we have the advantage of a perfect Welsh speaker to keep us poor learners on the straight and narrow. We could also choose to follow Siaron’s example and perhaps occasionally give Welsh titles to some of the artwork we post here. Another way of expanding our vocab. It’ll also justify the existence of this thread to any bossy boots Big Brother SSiW auditors checking up on us and thinking we’re having way too much fun.

4 Likes

Na, so etwas! (Ich bin ein Nordlicht, aus Lübeck und Mecklenburg, meine Tochter ist ins bayerische Lager übergelaufen, nach Jahren in Casnewydd.) The only link(s) I knew of were trade with the Hanse and shared roots of quite a few words. How nice to hear that art also features. I have so much to learn still.

3 Likes

“perfect” is quite a big word - “reasonably experienced” might be more appropriate :wink: :laughing:

2 Likes

Ja, Wahnsinn! Just in case you want to follow this up, the German Eisteddfod-winner (of Jewish descent) I was referring to was the late mother of the well-known Welsh teacher Heini Gruffudd. He recounts the painful story of his German ancestors’ trials, tribulations and successes in his book ‘Yr Erlid’ (published 2012, available Y Lolfa/Amazon/Kindle) which came out afterwards in English translation (title ‘A Haven from Hitler’). I personally find the aspects linking the Rhondda and former East Germany particularly fascinating. My modest Welsh is not yet up to the standard required to read ‘Yr Erlid’ without needing to refer constantly to the English translation, but I look forward to the day when I’ll be able to read and enjoy the original properly. That, at least, is my goal. :wales:🇩🇪

2 Likes

No, no, no, please add ‘perffaith’ to the list!

2 Likes

Thanks Siaron :+1:

2 Likes

Gwych! So much to enjoy and catch up with–perffaith :slight_smile:

Judging by how much ironmongery I had in my mouth at the dentist earlier, there would have been scope for some mixed-media photos involving stainless steel, ceramics, amalgam and old gold (from a previous filling), rubber, plastic… Then there were the lighting effects. I was so dazzled by it all I needed dark glasses.

Ffrindiau, you have really taken the ball and run with it here. Diolch yn fawr iawn. I will catch you up a bit later when the feeling in my brain has returned–everything feels frozen right now :frowning:

4 Likes

So pleased to learn about her. I’d bought Heini Gruffud’s mini dictionary only recently (to replace my Oxford Welsh dictionary when I use a smaller handbag…) and had been wondering how a Welsh guy ended up with my cousin’s first name, Heiner.

My family were committed nazis and I still find it difficult to face the darkness spread by Germany and its followers. Having H.G.'s story to aim for is another step towards understanding. Books always help. Danke, dass Du dich gemeldet hast und weiterhin viel Freude an der Kunst!

4 Likes

Still suffering ‘brain freeze’, so I’ll work on the vocabulary after a good night’s sleep.

However, I found this old photo showing the fine brushes and huge array of pigments in half-pans that I experimented with years ago. Nowadays, I use larger brushes, a big ceramic palette, and fewer colours squeezed from tubes. The most important thing missing here is the paper. My favourite now is heavy, rough cold-pressed rag paper that does not need to be dampened and stretched on a board. Life’s too short :wink:

Nos da!
Mari

2 Likes