Salon Creadigol--it's more than meets the eye

I agree, watercolour is a challenging, but also wonderfully enjoyable medium. I don’t use a computer for my 2D & 3D digital artwork. I use an iPad Pro and a pressure-sensitive Apple Pencil.

2 Likes

A lovely pen & wash sketch! :+1:

2 Likes

That illustrates how the creative process helps us express and be our full selves, bringing together: the physical, visual, tactile, sensual; the imagination and thoughtful; and the mystical intuition and motivation—our ‘body, mind and spirit’ so to speak.

I wonder who else finds that a title or name for a piece ‘comes to us’ as we are creating something, as if there is a conversation going on between us and the elements of whatever it is that is taking shape.

2 Likes

This is such a beautful, fitting tribute to your Mum whose embroidery work remains with you as a constant reminder of her Jason.

I am sure you know, but for those who may not—Celtic knotwork, being ‘endless’, literally, and often interweaving different threads, speaks of our lives being bound together forever.

What a lovely thought in a fragmented world where people seem to be pulled apart or so much seems impermanent. Diolch yn fawr iawn!

2 Likes

This is so ethereal, and stunningly beautiful. I love how the church and spire almost dissolve into the spectacular sky. Terrific work!

1 Like

I can feel the sunshine casting shadows, even inside the store. This is just what I need on yet another rainy day in Vancouver!

1 Like

Did I mention the rain here in Vancouver…. Reminds me of growing up in Cardiff—the rain, I mean, but this is the here and now for me :wink:

5 Likes

BTW, ever tried bleach? That’s my go-to eraser for watercolours. I keep a little bottle and dedicated baby ‘scrubbing brush’ on hand always. Just make sure you wash and dab it off completely afterwards. Oh, please don’t try this on thin paper. I am at that stage that life is too short anyway, so I splash out and work on heavy rag paper.

It’s not just Celtic knots that bind us together, it’s also the weather! The wetness captured so well in your Vancouver painting exactly reflects (apologies for the pun) the pavements today here in Lichfield. Heavy rain in recent days. Rain today. More rain to come in the days ahead. Yellow wellies needed here too! :umbrella:

1 Like

Beautifully captured! Love it👍

1 Like

Days like that have been few and far between here this winter! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Luxury!

(With a nod to the Four Yorkshiremen sketch :rofl::joy::rofl:)

3 Likes

About 50 years ago, I visited St. Fagan’s Castle, (as the Welsh Folk Museum was then called), and on a bed in one of the cottages was a traditional ‘Log Cabin’ quilt made with thin scraps of fabric from worn-out old clothes and oddments. It had been painstakingly stitched by hand with the brighter colours brilliantly set against black or dark blue log-shaped scraps.

Since coming to Canada, I have seen examples of similar quilts made by immigrant homesteaders a few generations ago, also in museums around the world—perhaps where Welsh people and others with similar textile traditions had moved.

I always wanted to make a reversible modern version, so here it is:

I would love to see other people’s quilts and crafts that continue Welsh traditions, perhaps with a modern twist.

5 Likes

That’s stunning Mari. I love the pattern and the way you’ve used the colours. I certainly don’t have the needle skills to attempt a quilt.

As far as Welsh traditions go, I do have a few Celtic knotwork projects in my head that I’ll get around to one of these days, but here are some ones I’ve done in the past.

This is simply felt-tip pens on paper -

This is rope and sea-glass (and paperclips!) -

And this is carved cork with various beads, sea-glass, and feathers -

6 Likes

Definitely a mixed media sort of gal aren’t you. :slightly_smiling_face: And the top image might be ‘simply felt-tip pens on paper’, but it’s not simple!

2 Likes

Talk about experimenting with all kinds of finds and materials Siaron–and succeeding wonderfully in creating such different pieces of art. I would never have thought of any of these ideas in 100 years, and love the knotwork using carved cork and felt-tip pens. As for the glass–do you drill holes in it?

Sorry it took so long to respond today–my new iPad packed in just after I hit the heart–totally kaput :frowning:

1 Like

No, I wire-wrap the glass using copper wire that I reclaimed from old cables being thrown out from work. I’ve made a few suncatchers using this technique, but they’re awkward to photograph in situ and still get the true ‘stained glass’ effect. The ‘hearts’ one hangs in a window, but worked against a wall for the photo. The bottom one is in my front window, which looks out onto the road, so the background is too busy with cars, houses and dustbins to get a decent shot, so I tried taking the photo with some tracing paper behind - it dulls it down, but gives an idea.

3 Likes

Yup! Most definitely!

2 Likes

Simply stunning!

1 Like

Such imaginative and very different kinds of artwork! I love to see that you surround yourself and decorate your home with the lovely things you make. Not out of vanity, but because they are important expressions of your individuality. Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to seeing more . . . .

2 Likes