Salon Creadigol--it's more than meets the eye

A little more ‘blush’ for this one, plus storm clouds gathering in the other direction…

2 Likes

Those are fabulous Marilyn! Pretty damn good for a first go with a new technique, I’d say!

One of these days I may just have to get my paints out again because everyone here is so inspiring, but it’s been a looooong time.

1 Like

Really love these Marilyn! I honestly don’t find the lines too dominant.
On my recent one, I did use a fountain pen with an extra fine nib. Which is fine when the ink chooses to flow, but they can choose to sulk on any given day! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Here’s my latest sculpture. It’s called Cennog

I chose the name because the metal a) reminds me of lichen (cen) and b) is a piece of rust that I found whilst litter-picking in the village, which obviously fell off a vehicle. Cennog can mean “licheny” or “flaky”, so I thought that was suitable in all aspects!

4 Likes

I really like that Siaron, and it really does look like Lichen. Fantastic

2 Likes

Oh my, this is a masterpiece Siaron—you have used the rust to brilliant effect—and as you know, I am a big fan of rust. If I lived anywhere near you I would ask to buy it, or put in a bid, but maybe you do not want to part with it.

1 Like

You are very kind! Hm, fountain pen eh—didn’t think of that. Does the ink run if wetted by the paint, or just not crawl out of the pen sometimes? Temperamental!

Back to my current little challenge—working at postcard-sized pieces. I painted this from a series of sketches I made in Patagonia. I hope it counts, being a Welsh colony :wink:

Some of those sketches I have worked up into pretty large watercolours, like this one.

4 Likes

You need to buy waterproof ink that is safe for fountain pens (not acrylic or Indian ink). You can also get waterproof fine liner pens.

I’m using this Rohrer & Klingner Sketch Ink at the moment. A bit expensive, but not as pricy as some.

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr iawn.

I will give that a try, I did not even know it existed.

1 Like

Gwych!

2 Likes

Spent some lovely summer holidays here, many decades ago. Perfect beach for playing cricket, swimming and generally running around on the gently sloping beach. Too old for any of that now, but I did this painting a few years ago, looking across the bay towards Pen Dinas, to remind myself of how nice it was to dig one’s toes into the sand, feel the incoming tide lapping around my ankles and watch carefully constructed castles slowly disappear. Perhaps you’ve been there too? No, it’s not ‘Casnewydd’. It’s the other place with the same name yn Saesneg that’s west, not east, of Cardiff. The word ‘beach’ appropriately features in its name yn Gymraeg. Come on, that’s enough clues! :blush:
Sir Benfro = Pembrokeshire

3 Likes

I was there many decades ago too, but I was at the other end of the beach, so didn’t get that lovely view of Pen Dinas. It was for a regatta - and I won my race! The little ‘pot’ I got for winning says Pembroke rather than Trefdraeth though.

2 Likes

Here’s a sculpture I did this week. Somewhat obviously, it’s called Twll

4 Likes

Longyfarchiadau! Spot on! Trefdraeth/Newport it is. And congratulations, too, albeit somewhat belatedly, on winning your regatta prize. I’m a complete landlubber, though I do remember going mackerel fishing in Newport Bay once in the boat of my uncle’s brother-in-law. I’m going to have a go at saying that yn Gymraeg (with some online help), but please correct my mistakes: Es i bysgota unwaith yng nghwch brawd-yng-nghyfraith fy ewythr.

2 Likes

Twll yn y wal? :slightly_smiling_face: (Just been reading an online article this Sunday morning on BBC Cymru Fyw with the headline ‘A fydd canolfannau bancio yn achub y stryd fawr?’) Bet you got paid loads-a-money for doing that lovely sculpture - Noddir gan Polo Mints!?

1 Like

No mistakes to correct! :smiley:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

When the beach gives you a piece of slate like that, you just have to utilise it!

1 Like

Back to nature:

This scene caught my eye, because the paintwork of the abandoned car almost matched the distinctive red rocks and Namibian dirt that contrasted with the distant salt flats.

‘Back in the day’, when I was driving a colleague from Salt Lake City to a mine in Nevada, we came to a sign saying Bonneville Salt Flats. Knowing it was where the land speed record had once been set, I pulled off the road, aimed us across the immense flat area and floored our hired car. I have no idea what our actual speed was when everything started to shake because the needle had been stuck off the end of the speed dial for a while. Slowing down, we did a U-turn to return to the highway and completed our trip in a very sedate fashion. Gwych!

2 Likes

If you’re lucky enough to be in Carmarthenshire this week I’d love to see you. My mother’s quilts and my textile crafts.

4 Likes

I think that’s what’s called living life in the fast lane!:blush::red_car:

1 Like