Radio Cymru 2 - new radio station

I’ve seen both of them (at different times) singing backing vocals in Steve Eaves’s band, Rhai Pobl.

Yeah, but I usually only listen to the radio in the car and I don’t have loads of space on my phone to download stuff. Just want to listen to it as a radio rather than a download.

Have been listening to this new digital channel on-line for the first time this morning.
Have tried many times before listening to live Welsh language programmes in the hope of keeping up with the speed of news reports etc.
Frustration ensued as I’d hear a familiar Cymraig word, but the brain sticks on that word while mentally fumbling for it’s English translation and the rest of the report has then moved on.
I’m sure many of you may have devised methods of “good listening practice” for language learning ?

Go back to the accelerated listening practices that are available here. That will help loads

Also, don’t try to translate, just accept that you won’t understand and let the rhythm, the cadence, the tone of the language just flow. Just by doing this you will improve you’re listening skills.

3 Likes

I would hesitate before calling it “good listening practice” as that smacks of managementspeak so beloved of large organisations, but have you tried listening to the same piece more than once? i.e. not live, but in catch-up or on-demand mode, which is very easy with iPlayer.

2 Likes

I just wanted to second what @mikeellwood said Either listen on catch-up mode on iPlayer or listen to the Pigion Podcasts which have been specially selected to be easier for learners or new speakers of Welsh to understand. You can listen to it multiple times and each time you’ll understand a little bit more.

You can listen to Radio Cymru as background while doing other things, but if you do, don’t worry about understanding, just get a feel for the flow of the language. You might pick out the odd word, but most of it will go over your head at the moment.

2 Likes

Definitely agree with @AnthonyCusack to do the accelerated listening practices, and to just let the language just flow over you when you listen to the radio. @margarethall mentionioned the Pigion podcast, which is good, and another podcast that I like is Beti a’i Phobol. One thing I like about podcasts is that when I go back to listen to one again sometime later, I find that I understand more than the last time, and that’s encouraging :slight_smile: Watching S4C is also a way to practice - the visual cues can be additional help for the listening comprehension. Listening comprehension comes along slowly, so don’t get discouraged, just keep listening!

2 Likes

Don’t hope to be able to follow enough to keep up with the news, don’t run before you can walk. Just learn to relax and stop translating into English. Before long you’ll be understanding more and more in Welsh. Then one day, you will be able to follow the news.

1 Like

That’s really helpful, diolch yn fawr Anthony :smiley:

2 Likes

I’d just like to second @AnnaC’s suggestion of Beti a’i Phobol. There are plenty of podcasts available. I like to hear the same people speaking for a long time so that I get used to their voices. I don’t understand much yet, but I am picking up words here and there and getting used to the flow of the language. And the listening practices of course. We have already met all the words, and trying to recognise them at speed is a very different activity from trying to cope with unknown words.
Sue

5 Likes

I heard @Nicky talking rubbish about Aberystwyth this morning on my drive into work on Radio Cymru 7.19 am.
Great start to the morning. Diolch.

2 Likes

To clarify… I was stopped on the street yesterday and asked for my thoughts on communal Street bins!!!

3 Likes

Ha yes I didn’t explain it to well. I should have sense talking sense about rubbish. :joy::+1:t2:

1 Like

Haha!! I haven’t heard it yet. I was asked 2 questions and gave really bipolar answers!!

Q1 answer: yeah they’re good. Should make a lot of difference.

Q2 answer. We shouldn’t need them. If people were more responsible we would be fine!! :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

2 Likes

What’s happening with the bins?

When I was in Aber the main problem was the bin lorries coming late, long after the seagulls had had plenty of time to open the bin bags and distribute the litter all across the pavements. Communal seagull proof bins seems a sensible solution, but where to put them?

1 Like