Radio Beca going live

If you live in Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion or Pembrokeshire there is a new Welsh language radio station hitting the airwaves this Saturday. Radio Beca will start broadcasting at 9am and can be heard online at www.radiobeca.co.uk

The plan is to broadcast in Welsh all day, then in English (and possibly Polish) in the evenings to give everyone the opportunity to find out what’s going on in the area. That’s what the plan says on the website, but I’m not sure if they will follow that timetable on the first Saturday.

They’re keen to get lots of local people involved, and as I will more than likely have a few spare hours up my sleeve from the end of this month when I launch myself into the exciting world of freelancing, I’ve emailed them to see if I could coordinate some kind of information for learners service. You never know! Croesi bysedd!

4 Likes

Well I’ve just had a conversation on the phone with the organiser and he’s coming to Llandysul on Friday morning for a chat over coffee. Many years ago in Australia I was involved with helping a new community radio station - I actually organised one of the weekly programmes that last I heard is still going - the longest running programme on the station! It will be very interesting to see what will come out of Radio Beca.

So go online www.radiobeca.co.uk on Saturday morning and see what you think!

4 Likes

Sounds like this might offer even more opportunities for SSiW learners to hit the airwaves (when they are not too busy appearing on S4C or Radio Cymru :slight_smile: ).

2 Likes

Well, I didn’t get a chance to listen to the first day of broadcasting yesterday, but I’m listening now and enjoying some variety for my Sunday morning.

I can hear it on line but where is on the radio. Ble mae radio beca ar yr deial radio?

At the moment Radio Beca is only online. They are intending to put up transmitters to broadcast over an FM channel, but haven’t got that in place yet as it needs rather a lot more funding, as you can imagine! Croesi bysedd!
There are times when I would really like another Welsh station to listen to in the car.

1 Like

I’ve been listening to Radio Beca over the last few days and so far, I am impressed. It provides a great mix of the new and old.
All too often, I find myself changing to an English language station as soon as music is played on Radio Cymru. It is like listening to Father Ted’s “A Song for Europe” .
Wedi dweud hynny, C2 is very good indeed :smile:

Anyway, I wish Radio Beca every success. I look forward to them broadcasting on FM. Pob lwc.

2 Likes

Radio Beca bites dust…?

http://dailywales.net/2015/06/03/westminster-watchdog-revokes-radio-licence-for-welsh-community-station/

Already?! Newyddion trist. : -(

1 Like

The article says RadioBeca is still able to broadcast online, and the archived broadcasts are still available. I tried to find it on TuneIn, turns out there is a station of the same name in Costa Rica. Does anyone know what the netcast link is? I could not find it on the Beca site.

1 Like