Pump an y Penwythnos / Friday Five 25/05/2018

You’re getting to build the house of your dreams in Wales, so…

1) Where do you build it?

2) Tell us a little about the design and style?

3) What name do you give the house?

4) If you could chose one original piece of Welsh art/craft/artefact for your home what would it be?

5) Tell us about the housewarming?

And because I loved last week’s answers so much…

6) Make up your own Friday Five question and answer it

You’re getting to build the house of your dreams in Wales, so…

Something lovely and made-uppy-ish like “llonyddfa” or something.

4) If you could chose one original piece of Welsh art/craft/artefact for your home what would it be?

What is your favourite quote?

“I used to have one of them but the wheel came off.”

3 Likes

On the edge of a forest, not too far from the sea, not too far from a river, with hills/mountains in sight. Should give a lot of scope.

Low rise (cos we’re getting on a bit), although it might have an observation tower.
Always fancied building something in a kind of hollow square, i.e. with 4 separate wings, so family, etc, could stay and have their own “wing” and privacy. With a central “courtyard”.

Tŷ Bach … (not! :wink: )

My parents-in-law used “Dyma ni” which I like, but I’ll try “Dychwelyd Gartref”.

Bit of a cliche, but I’ve always fancied a Welsh Dresser.

Pretty boring: the usual gas central heating I’d think.

6) Who would be your guest of honour at the real house-warming?

If I had a time machine, Philip Madoc.
Or possibly Wynford Vauhan Thomas.

Mercifully still with us: Dylan Iorwerth.

1. Where do you build it?

Aberystwyth

1. Tell us a little about the design and style?

As it has to be built, the design would be based on replicating traditional housing techniques, but on a modestly grand scale so lots of rooms and none of this open plan nonsense, nice thick stone walls (I hate modern housing), So things like a proper outside ty bach, proper inglenook range in the nice large kitchen, high ceilings. Grounds large enough for a decent orchard, tropical greenhouse, full sized croquet court etc. Sustainability built in, the home would generate all it’s own power from renewable sources.
And maybe a small tower with a reading room at the top with 360 views and a dumb waiter for carrying books up and down. A dungeon…sorry cellar with soundproofing for the music room. Basically traditional with new things to suit me.

1. What name do you give the house?

Twr Y Ddraig Las

1. If you could chose one original piece of Welsh art/craft/artefact for your home what would it be?

I would have to start looking at them and then decide

1. Tell us about the housewarming?

Lots of bands, freshly brewed beer, ridiculous variety of cheeses, squillions of home made cakes, a grand croquet tournament and all gathering round the bonfire as the night drew to it’s close

1. If you could travel the world, on your own transport, what form would it take?

The underground high speed Maglev system I’ve just imagined.

1. Where do you build it?

More like REbuild. Castell Y Bere.

1. Tell us a little about the design and style?

Like a castle. Only more so.

1. What name do you give the house?

Already has one.

1. If you could chose one original piece of Welsh art/craft/artefact for your home what would it be?

Celyn. A harp. Actually I’d want loads of them. And the castle would be the head-quarters for the new guild of harps and harpists. You know you talk about a “pride” of lions or a “flock” of birds? I was just wondering what you would call a group of harps.
A “string” of harps?

1. Tell us about the housewarming?

We’d raid the local farm for some meat (sorry Mr. Williams-Wynne :slight_smile:️) and we’d have loads of bbqs. And archery. With prizes, but the prizes will be kisses or Pices-ar-y-maen. And non-stop harp music. And a race to the top of Craig Yr Aderyn. And anyone could come. As long as they spoke a little Cymraeg.

1. Make up your own Friday Five question and answer it

You, Mr. Putin, Mr. Trump and Mr. Kim Jong Un sit down for a paned o de. Who brought cakes and who pours?
I did and I do. ‘Cos I invited them and they graciously accepted.

Well, obvs, at least two would be standard furniture in a dream house

Furniture? I wouldn’t sit on one…

I’ve only just realised I was dreaming, I thought I was for real…