Pump an y Penwythnos/Friday Five 14/04/17

I well remember sitting in bed at 10pm on every Monday night when I was in my first year as a student - waiting! Then came the tune:

My name is Angus Prune, and this is my tune
I said, I’m sorry I’ll read that again. (repeat)
I sit in my bath and I have a good laugh
Cos they named this tune after me.
My name is Angus Prune, and this is my tune
I said I - S - I - R - T - A
I’m sorry I’ll read that agaaaaain!

Some running jokes in that were memorable and very funny, but could not now be repeated as they would be considered racist.

Thanks for reminding me of a really happy time in my life - although I have never left happiness for any length of time!

4 Likes

Oh yes! Also “A Sunday Afternoon at Home” (was very like the Sundays I remember from childhood! :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

“Have a piece of rhubarb tart”
“Oh don’t mind if I do!”
(or something like that :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

Yes, some of the humour is not appropriate for this day and age! If you fancy a blast from the past there are a few episodes on the BBC Radio Player! I thought I was the only ISIRTA listener left but now there are three!!! :smile:

That is a good episode too, and yes, it does remind you of childhood Sunday’s!
:smile:

1. Choose an original piece of art for your wall.

The Lady of Shalot by John William Waterhouse

1. It’s your turn to get on the soap box - what has really irked you recently?

Our provincial government has recently announced that, in order to “fix” the fact that three of the six hospitals in Winnipeg have the worst Emergency wait times in the country, they’re going to CLOSE their A & E departments! Yes, you heard right! They’re going to eliminate the waits at those hospitals by having nothing to wait for and doubling the wait times in the three remaining hospitals! I can’t speak!!!

1. What do you often bore people with once you’ve got going?

The virtues of living in Wales over living here. I have to be REALLY careful to cut myself short on that topic.

1. Worst book, best book, strangest book, most difficult book?

Worst book - Tess of the D’Urbervilles - I’ve tried to read it twice and have yet to finish it.

Best book - Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte) - still in love with Heathcliff. …sigh… :wink:

Strangest book - Slaughterhouse Five (Kurt Vonnegut) - read it to help my son with homework.

Most difficult book - Canterbury Tales (Chaucer) - the language was SOOOO hard to understand.

1. Do you enjoy comedy? What or who makes you laugh?

Immensely!!! Monty Python, Michael MacIntyre, Rowan Atkinson (particularly in Blackadder), Eddie Izzard, the list goes on and on…

Finally, as a bonus, what do you have planned for this Easter weekend?

We’re alone here, so no family gatherings, unfortunately. Instead, lots of SSiW and reading the Mabinogion.

4 Likes

…and don’t forget The Death Star Cantina! Priceless!!!

2 Likes

Lord Vader "I’ll kill you with a tray… " :laughing:

2 Likes

I didn’t know your mum was an artist, @Novem! That’s beautiful!!

1 Like

I can never hear the phrase “Penne a la Arabiata” without cracking up! :joy:

2 Likes

She says thank you :blush:

1 Like

Just to say, anyone who is too young to remember The Goon Show on radio, I am so sorry!

3 Likes

That’s really beautiful! Now I know where your artistic talent (your draig shirts) came from :star:

1 Like

I’d add “The Blood Donor” and “The Radio Ham” (I get confused with which were radio and which were TV shows - and which were both)

“Put the kettle on, Eccles”
Eccles: “No, it doesn’t suit me” :laughing:.,

3 Likes

I liked Bluebottle. There was one episode on while my dad was trying to paper the ceiling above the stairs. It kept mentioning a liitle piece of paper. My poor dad had the ceiling paper fall down on his head and my mam and I were crying with laughter about the paper on the Goons! Before them, I liked ITMA and Much Binding in the Marsh.e

2 Likes

ITMA was on Radio 4Extra a couple of months ago :laughing:

1 Like

They were both TV shows (and after Sid James had left the show). But, “The Blood Donor” was re-recorded (in front of a live audience), especially for radio, or perhaps in order to make an LP record of it. I only know this because Radio 4 Extra broadcast this once (in the last few years sometime), and hopefully, I managed to record it.

One that used to confuse me (about whether it was TV or radio) was the one where he is playing a regular character in a radio series obviously based on “The Archers”. It was in fact one of the TV shows, but I didn’t see it until many years after the original broadcast (possibly I saw it on VHS).
That was also in the post-Sid James era and featured Patrick Cargill, as well as several other regular members of what had become a bit of an “ensemble”. The other principle regular was of course June Whitfield, who played the nurse in “The Blood Donor” (and Patrick Cargill was the doctor).

2 Likes
  1. Choose an original piece of art for your wall.

Something from http://www.rhiannonart.co.uk/ She does lovely colourful dreamlike images of Welsh towns.

1. It’s your turn to get on the soap box - what has really irked you recently?

Going for trivial as well… The inability to find quickly a >10Amp, on-off, rotary key switch with a 19mm cutout. I have been on every electronics and motorfactors site in the country over the ocurse of about two hoursI think!

1. What do you often bore people with once you’ve got going?

Aeroplane parts like how the replacement of my master switch is going… Oh right… Or politics.

1. Worst book, best book, strangest book, most difficult book?

The ones I haven’t finished because they were rubbish or too difficult to be interesting I can’t remember so… Best, I’m going by most reread and is A Gift of Wings by Richard Bach, flying one. Strangest was given to me as part of a giveaway Arms from the Sea bu Rich Shapero

1. Do you enjoy comedy? What or who makes you laugh?

Yes, we had a fantastic fundraising comedy night at YESAbertawe just recently in Swansea and two fab Welsh comedians Steffan Alun and Phil Cooper. I was crying laughing.

Finally, as a bonus, what do you have planned for this Easter weekend?

Visiting family and prepping the microlight for her (MOT-like) Permit To Fly inspection.

1 Like

Oh dear lord, yes,this!

3 Likes

It was before my time but my father made sure I got exposure to some Goon Show!

Though I think I haven’t listened to any for going on 30 years now; might have to try to find some again.

(I think that was on audio cassettes back in the day – I don’t have anything that plays those any more!)

1 Like