Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five - 27/04/2018

Hmmmm … Did you want to show to your ex how big hotshot you are and jumped from it? it’s still nowdays held a traditional jumping into the river from that bridge. :slight_smile:

All our brandies are strong. They burn the throat and the soul. :slight_smile: However in Bosnia and there around they have “soft” brandy which doesn’t really burn but it comes after you in a while making you dizzy, dizzy. :slight_smile:

The same, the same … + my 20+ ambrellas. :slight_smile:

1 Like

1) What is your most favourite/most unusual/random/strange word in any language and why?
One phrase that I’ve always loved … monkey’s wedding - rain and sunshine at the same time.

2) What do you keep just in case?
A gig-ready drum kit.

3) What is the oldest thing you own?
My dad’s RAF service medals. Or maybe a huge travel chest also from when my dad was in the RAF.

4) What is the bravest thing you have ever done?
I’m quite a nervous guy so lots of things have taken me out of my comfort zone but not really brave. My first gig. Walking up to a group of learners in y Saith Seren for the first time. My first bootcamp. It’s a long list.

5) What should I -
read tonight
“Hi yw fy ffrind” then “hi oedd fy ffrind” by Bethan Gwanas. What a roller coaster of a read.

top a pizza with
Red peppers a red onions.

listen to before I go to sleep
“God shuffled his feet” by Crash Test Dummies.

try at least once
Snowboarding.

4 Likes

1) What is your most favourite/most unusual/random/strange word in any language and why?

Hm. Esperanto has some words that I find myself repeating because I really like the sound, but I don’t know what they mean or how to spell them. A particular favorite is pronounced “sit-SEE′-uh.”

I love the sound of Polish, too. You’ll recognize this as “The Hanging Tree” from The Hunger Games, but sung in Polish. Put the Polish subtitles on to get an idea of what they’re singing. My favorite word out of the whole thing is “założysz” which is roughly pronounced “za-woo′-zhish.” Don’t know why, but I LOVE that sound.

Heh.

I hoard a ridiculous amount of dehydrated/freeze-dried storage food; over two years’ worth, at last inventory. You know: the stuff that Doomsday Preppers have, because I grew up in a household with a mother who had a real hatred of food/being fat, and we simply never had anything in the fridge or the cupboards. I, on the other hand, ended up being the opposite: I have a fear of running out of food. Half of my stash is pretty basic, but I also have a whole slew of fruit and other goodies. Dehydrated fruit cocktail (often called Fruit Galaxy) is awesome, and freeze-dried oranges and cherries are to die for. I stick slices of freeze-dried limes and pears in bottles of water, and I also have freeze-dried ice cream in mint chocolate chip, neapolitan, vanilla, and chocolate. The granola and other multi-grain cereals are fabulous, and I have baking mixes that are out of this world.

Oh dear… now I’m going to have to look in my Emergency Essentials catalog and see what else I want…

What I call my “House Stick”: a long redwood garden stake that I wrapped in many colors of yarn and decorated with buttons and yarn braids over 50 years ago. Where it goes, that’s where I call home.

That’s if you don’t count a gold Victorian snake necklace I inherited from my grandmother, which is rather older than my House Stick.

A solo recital on the harp in spite of the fact that I have screaming stage fright. Due to a medical condition, I can’t take Inderal, which many performers use to control their heart rates and shaking hands. I still have no idea how I survived, but you can be damned sure I’ll never do it again.

5) What should I:

1. Read tonight — One of the Brother Cadfael mysteries.

2. Top a pizza with — Bacon. And bacon. And bacon. And extra cheese and jalapenos.

3. Listen to before I sleep — BAD APPLE!! I can even sing it in Japanese.

Or SENBONZAKURA played by Marasy8 and H ZETT M.

It may not seem terribly relaxing to most people, but I love it.

4. Try at least once — I don’t know… getting my butt out of my chair, going outside, and walking around the block…? Seriously, I’m very reclusive, and the idea of going outside is quite scary.

4 Likes

I don’t think we in our country can buy any of this elswhere so I’ve saved your store just in case …

Not scarry to me but rather makes me on no ease. I want to go out for a walk not for the chat at every single corner I turn around so if the grass is small i take the rute behind my house where guaranteed no one will meet me or I don’t go out at all - apart from my garden which is prety private since I live in the house I own. .

These are like years ago Marek & Vacek …

Oh, and something not to try but to see a bit of our beautiful Slovenia and those crazy guys who once performed on Britain’s Got Talent too - The Dunking Devils. Enjoy their crazyness on the train (but don’t try this at home alone :smile: :smile::smile:

So this is more like what not to try - hehe.

2 Likes

Alas, they don’t ship outside the US; even if they did, the cost would be insanely prohibitive.

We have quite a few of these “long-term storage food” companies in the U.S., and you’ll notice that many of them are in Utah. That’s because there’s a large population of Mormons in and around that state, and part of their practice is to store away a year’s worth of food and other supplies for every member of the family. When I lived in Los Angeles, I was just steps away from the huge Mormon Temple, and there was a store across the street that sold all kinds of interesting dehydrated food that was intended to be added to one’s storage. That’s where I got my first taste of “Fruit Galaxy.” Yummy!

This is the Los Angeles LDS Temple; isn’t it beautiful? Back in the early 1980s, I lived a stone’s throw to the left, just off the main street you see running through the picture.

2 Likes

Btw, how is you daughter now Catrin?

2 Likes

Catlrin praised Calpol yesterday. Hopefully it helped to sort things out the best way possible.

Get well soon Angharad!

2 Likes

And now there remain faith, hope, and Calpol, these three: but the greatest of these is Calpol.

(with apologies to 1 Corinthians 13:13)

1 Like

We’re praising “Lekadol” which is no far from Calpol. I wondered if our LEK factory has kind of franchise there. :slight_smile:

Well if producer is Novartis, than it can be … LEK is part of Novartis group. :slight_smile:

1 Like

She was through the worst of it by this morning, and although she had to skip ballet, she’s had a pretty bouncy rest-of-the-afternoon, including going on a fairground ride in Caernarfon that her mother refused point-blank to consider… :wink:

4 Likes

Sounds like you’ll have to sneak Angharad out of the house very carefully to take her to Penrhyn for a go on the zip wire, Aran… I suppose Catrin is still against it?
Very glad she’s on the mend…

1 Like

I love the Hindi words I learnt when I was nannying for an Indian family, especially the hindi slangs often used with children, for example nini for sleep and susu for pee. I also love the hindi word for sandals, which is chappals. Also the suffix ji used as a mark of respect when addressing certain adults so that Mummy Ji would be mother and Maami Ji would be aunt. But one of my most favourites is chalo to mean let’s go or come on let’s go. It wasn’t unusual for me to hear chalo, lets go as we were about to leave the house. :slight_smile:

Wine and cocktail cherries

Apart from the huge slabs of slate in the garden and a few ancient trees, my great grandmother’s wedding ring.

Probably the whole scary giving birth thing.

5) What should I -

1. read tonight - Pride and Prejudice
  2. top a pizza with - walnuts, ricotta cheese, fresh basil and smoked pancetta
  3. listen to before I go to sleep - A Meeting by the River by Ry Cooder and Vishwa Mohan Bhatt
  4. try at least once - Bara Brith with vintage cheddar, snorkelling in tropical seas, A West End musical, birdwatching.
4 Likes

A lot of people laugh at the idea of birdwatching, but it’s so much fun, and you don’t have to watch anything exotic or even need binoculars. My first go at birdwatching was when I sat down to observe the wrens and crows that were jockeying for position on the neighborhood telephone wires (telephone wires?! That’ll tell you how old I am :grin:). Everything was quiet for awhile, until a tiny wren got it into its feathered brain to chase one of the biggest crows. Those wrens are fast. In the midst of all the zooming about, it managed to pull a feather out of the crow’s tail. Needless to say, the wrens were accorded the prime positions on the wire. I’d swear the crows were sulking.

I also placed a dried sunflower heart on my patio, and it was immediately claimed by a pair of cardinals. They crapped all over the bricks, but hey… that’s what garden hoses are for, and they were enormous fun to watch. The bright red male was very territorial: the patio was his, as was the birdhouse I put up, and so was that sunflower heart, and woe to any bird who came near them. I watched him drive off interlopers on several occasions.

1 Like