Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five - 27/04/2018

Bore da! Guess what? I’ve been up most of the night with our daughter who had raging temperatures, headaches and stomach cramps! So apologies if today’s questions are random, but I’m running on empty! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1) What is your most favourite/most unusual/random/strange word in any language and why?

2) What do you keep just in case?

3) What is the oldest thing you own?

4) What is the bravest thing you have ever done?

5) What should I -

1. read tonight
  2. top a pizza with
  3. listen to before I go to sleep
  4. try at least once
2 Likes

1) What is your most favourite/most unusual/random/strange word in any language and why?

Hmm. Dead heat between pendramwnwgl and zvakanaka. Just so much fun to say.

A wide collection of USB-C charging cables.

Used to be my denim jacket, but I’m fairly sure you’ve got rid of it [steely stare].

So that leaves my favourite toy car, which Beuno now seems to think he owns.

Not cry when having an injection. Or maybe ‘staying in the room’ when you were having an epidural. Or walking into my first classroom as a teacher. Or my first live radio interview in Welsh.

Ugh, now I need a lie down after remembering them all.

1. What should I -

read tonight
Pride and Prejudice. You know you want to.
top a pizza with
Mushrooms. Then give it to me because you don’t like them.
listen to before I go to sleep
Me. Just for a change.
try at least once
Scuba-diving.

2 Likes
  1. What is your most favourite/most unusual/random/strange word in any language and why?

Thanks in Lithuanian is Ačiū, pronounced “achoo”.

1. What do you keep just in case?

A spark-maker for survival situations - I never fancied doing the Ray Mears thing…

1. What is the oldest thing you own?

A Welsh rugby shirt from the 70’s. It’s more orange than red…
Edit:- Aran has reminded me that I have been given two vans that belonged to my dad when he were a nipper… But the shirt was always mine…

1. What is the bravest thing you have ever done?

Bravery is overcoming fear in my book. When I was serving on HMS Intrepid during the ‘82 Falklands conflict, we knew we could be facing Cruise missiles. My job was manning (alone for 18 hours a day) an emergency switchboard, basically a room full of very large switches in two banks and a control board, right on the water-line on the side of the ship. I was a little worried by the thought of a missile coming through the ships side so for the first few days I sat behind one of the banks of switches (breakers) as they ran perpendicular to the hull and I thought it would be best. Until I thought it through and realised it wouldn’t help, so I put my back to the hull and sat there not worrying about it.

1. What should I -

read tonight - Something guaranteed NOT to cause nightmares!!

top a pizza with - Ham and pineapple!

listen to before I go to sleep - All the family wishing each other “Goodnight”, The Waltons - style!

try at least once - White-Water Rafting!!

2 Likes

I reckon he’s related to John Kanaka!!

1 Like

Me too! I feel your daughter’s pain. And yours! Everybody get better NOW please!

3 Likes
  1. What is your most favourite/most unusual/random/strange word in any language and why?

I am quite fond of “Llongyfarchiadau”.
I had a Turkish student once who would not call me by my name - after some questioning he admitted that it meant something terribly rude in his language.

A wind-up radio.

Probably the china pig with the broken foot and “Llandeilo” with a crest printed on the side. My Dad bought it for his Mam when he was a little boy and on an outing with his Dad. She gave it to me. I have offered it to members of the younger generation but nobody wants it.

Looking back, I think that travelling by train across Europe to the then Yugoslavia was quite brave. I was in my teens so it didn’t seem so brave at the time. Now I panic if I have to change trains at Birmingham New Street.

[quote=“aran, post:2, topic:12086”]
walking into my first classroom as a teacher
[/quote] Yes, that too.

1. What should I -

read tonight
Something soothing/mildly amusing.

top a pizza with
Extra cheese

A talking book read by an actor with a really good, calm voice.

try at least once
You probably do/have done anything I might suggest. I regret that I never tried rock climbing. Too late now.

Yes, please do.
Sue

2 Likes

Gongoozler. Why? I love daft words. This one strikes me as particularly so.[quote=“catrinlliarjones, post:1, topic:12086”]
[/quote]

Wet wipes, a hoof pick, Olbas Oil

No idea, but the oldest thing I can see from here is a ceramic foot. Thank’s Dr Scholl.

Having babies.[quote=“catrinlliarjones, post:1, topic:12086”]
5) What should I -

read tonight
[/quote]
Turn of the Screw

I’m so hungry! Smoked cheese.

I can hear the horses in the back field munching and snuffling at night - a very comforting sound. When I lived in Bath I used to like the sound of night time traffic, and the odd distant train.
Either of those.[quote=“catrinlliarjones, post:1, topic:12086”]
try at least once
[/quote]

Jump a 5ft hedge on a horse.
Drive an enormous dumper truck.
:relaxed:

2 Likes

When I was serving on HMS Intrepid during the ‘82 Falklands conflict…,

A remarkable memory, Gary, which fills me with respect.

3 Likes

Thanks Huw. I went years never wanting to talk too much about the whole scenario, but it’s as much a part of my memories as anything else I’m more glad to remember…

Such as finding SSIW!!

3 Likes

How far ago in Yugoslavia?

If this was in 70s it should be the best journey ever! Peace, friendship. We really lived “brotherhood and unity” (bratstvo i jedinstvo) those days.

If that was in 80s or 90s this is totally another story and especially in mid 80s and 90s it was really brave thing to do. Not just travelling by train but travelling though ex Yugoslavia in general a sthere was war in quite many parts of it.

Hmmmm … there’s the difference inbetween listen and LISTEN. :slight_smile:

Now my blurbs …

žnj - because it actually means nothing in any language I suppose but we use it when we want to express that just something of non-importance or even ridiculous without any meaning was said. :slight_smile:

EDIT to add that reading the @mikeellwood post it reminds me of lovely Welsh word we all in the family love, not just me and that is popty-ping (microwave) which is fun to say and besides “hoffi coffi” expression this is probably the only Welsh thing my son and husband can say in Welsh. :slight_smile:

All sorts of everything what still have some usfulness in any way.

It must be porcelain tea set and quite some books all the way from 1900 or even older. I have plenty of books so it’s out of my memory what titles they are. I know just that my grandma owned it and they passed from generation to generation.

I am not the person of any bravery and if there really danger would lurk upon us I don’t know what I’d do, but sometimes even telling the truth and being (too) honest is bravery big enough. However I believe traveling alone to Wales was the most brave thing I’ve done not because I’d be afraid of the whole thing but because I traveled totally alone for the first time and didn’t get lost in the big city of Cardiff once I was “on the loose” out of bootcamp. :slight_smile:

Something what makes you really laugh endlessly! :slight_smile:

Go with classics - ham, mushrooms, cheese, extra olives and a bit of red (sweet) paprica cut to small (squer-ish) slices.

Go to sleep with something like this …

This:

Presumably your health allows you do that of course.

Not that I’ve tried it. If I did it would be the bravest thing I’d ever done in my life not just out of bravery but because i’d hazard my eyes souldn’t hold the jump and might get blind due to glaucoma I have.

2 Likes

My favourite word in Welsh is amwys. It means ambiguous. I just love that face that such a mouthful in English sounds so elegant in Welsh. :slight_smile:

I always have tissues, ibruprofen and immodium in my handbag - you never know!

I still have my dog soft toy that my Dad brought to the hospital for me on the day I was born. He lives on a shelf in the spare room. This might sound cruel, but our 6-month old puppy will never reach him there!

I don’t know if its brave because I didn’t really have much choice in the manner, but I’ve dealt with having an injection between my left eye and its membrane several times. I still shudder just thinking about them. Urgh!

1. What should I -

read tonight

I’ve just finished reading _Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine_by Gail Honeyman. A very well-written, funny novel and while dark in places, it is quite a heartwarming story.

top a pizza with

chicken and chorizo with plenty of herbs, black pepper and so much mozzarella and strong cheddar that strings of molten cheese form as you pull the slices apart.

Weightless by Marconi Union. It was composed in conjection with the British Academy of Sound Therapy to help aid sleep.

try at least once

Gareth and I recently completed a beginners archery course and it was fantastic! Two weeks later we’re members of a local archery club. You can drink tea while you practice ( in between rounds of shooting, of course :grinning:) and walking to collect arrows is great way to get to 10,000 steps.

2 Likes

1967 probably. The country was lovely, but it was a long way to go on my own.

1 Like

If I thought longer, I could probably come up with quite a few, but the one that popped into my head was:

“onomatopoeia”. I had to look up the spelling and exact meaning:

the formation of a word from a sound associated with what is named (e.g. cuckoo, sizzle ).
the use of onomatopoeia for literary effect.

An onomatopoeia is a word that phonetically imitates, resembles or suggests the sound that it describes. As an uncountable noun, onomatopoeia refers to the property of such words.

Why? I just love the concept.

Anything and everything, but more specifically
Screws, nuts, washers
Anything to do with bicycles (so lots of screws, nuts and washers obviously, but lots more; lots of inner tubes which need repairing, and which sometimes are)

Several books from my childhood, e.g. King Arthur, Treasure Island.
Encyclopedias and a Pictorial History of the War, bought by my father, probably around as old as I am.

hmm…go on a zipwire on my son’s stag “night”.

Forced myself to learn to swim aged around 20.
(Even now I have to stoke up a bit of courage to go out of my depth; while I’m quite prepared to believe we evolved from sea-creatures, I think in my case the deep water loving genes must have been evolved out along the way somehow; one genuine advance is that I now don’t mind going underwater, provided I’m wearing googles, it’s not too cold, and when I know I can get back above the surface rapidly.)

5) What should I -

read tonight

“Turtle Diary” by Russell Hoban
“Shark Drunk” The Art of Catching a Large Shark from a Tiny Rubber Dinghy in a Big Ocean
by Morten Strøksnes

top a pizza with

Something like a spag bol “sauce”, with lots of meat and cheese; but if it were me, I’d toss the pizza base, and not have any spag.

Concierto de Aranjuez ( Joaquin Rodrigo) followed by
Recuerdos de la Alhambra ( Francisco Tarrega)

(I happened to find them both on the same Youtube video; the first one is a bit rousing in parts, but the 2nd one is nice and relaxing).

try at least once

Zipwires! (see above) (I believe there is at least one very good one in North Wales - which I’m not sure I’d be brave enough to go on).

2 Likes

Ah, yes. In 1967 I was only born … but I’ve heard those were the best years in Yugoslavia ever!

Oh distant trains at night! I love that sound too. Always wonder about the exotic destinations they are going to…e.g. Carnforth (“Brief Encounter”), even if the reality is it’s probably Clapham Junction (“Up the Junction”?).

1 Like

I did learn mobolgampau (sports day) this week. My favourite though is still Boldog születésnapot, Hungarian for Penblwydd Hapus / Happy birthday

Alcohol, books

Difficult to say as i inherited so much rubbish from my grandparents which sits in an attic which we’ve never got around to sorting out. Maybe a ‘Death Penny’ via an uncle who didn’t make it through WW1

Jumped off a high rock into a pool, I was the last in the group to go as I was so so nervous

1. What should I -

read tonight

the kind of book you wouldn’t normally read

top a pizza with

beetroot, pineapple and capers, my favourite!

The Shipping Forecast on Radio 4

try at least once

kissing someone of a gender you are not attracted to

1 Like

I guess this is it :slight_smile:

(I had hoped to find the clip from Rownd a Rownd with the two characters, Matthew and Iolo (the soap’s resident “hearty”) doing it, but not found so far. :slight_smile:

Edit: Watching the above, I was thinking at first, “well, this doesn’t look too bad…” and then I saw the water fast approaching, and almost lost my supper…"

Edit2: Oh dyma ni!

(The blonde lady is the character “Kim”, who is sadly no longer in the programme. She used to be Llio’s flatmate).

Edit3: If zip wires are too tame for anyone, you might try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHXQlFR5sm8

(but if you are, look carefully at the dates shown beneath many of the “fliers”)

1 Like

The country certainly was lovely then. I spent my first honeymoon there in August 1967. (Maureen keeps reminding me that it was, in fact, my only honeymoon - I still owe her one.)

My ex and I were based in Makarska near Split but we made excursions to the beautiful town of Dubrovnik, Mostar with it’s spectacular bridge and divers and some romantic islands. I also still have a Super 8 movie of me diving into the spectacular Krka waterfalls. My only bad memory was the the Slivovitz - a really nasty plum brandy. :laughing:

1 Like

Or Swindon in our case. Dare you to find a film reference that anywhere near glamorises dear old Swindon![quote=“mikeellwood, post:15, topic:12086”]
Up the Junction
[/quote]

If my big brother was in he would listen to music, which I would hear through the wall. Amongst his collection were a bit of Manfred Mann, and Squeeze, both of which, of course, have Up the Junction links. [quote=“mikeellwood, post:15, topic:12086”]
Oh distant trains at night
[/quote]

They would always hoot as they went through Sydney park, and the sound would echo off the remarkable Georgian half tunnels and bridges. Spooky for some, reassuring to me.

1 Like

Bore da! Guess what? I’ve been up most of the night with our daughter who had raging temperatures, headaches and stomach cramps! So apologies if today’s questions are random, but I’m running on empty! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

“You make me feel safe” A real privilege to hear from a patient.

Most of my stuff. I have, we have far too much and I feel a bit overwhelmed by it all. Until we moved to Wales we moved at least every two to three years and had a good sort out every time. Now a secret part of me wouldn’t really mind if we had a fire and lost the lot.

A 1632 King James Bible. When my parents go to a better place I expect we will have a 15th century hand written copy of the Confessions of St Augustine.

Zip wiring certainly gets the adrenaline going. Thailand, not Wales. The session finished with my daughter and I watching, fascinated and appalled, while a man proposed marriage to his girlfriend in front of five friends and family members. Of course she said yes, but under what pressure. What gall, to be so certain of the response you would ask in public.

1. What should I -
  1. read tonight

Jonathon Livingstone Seagull

1. top a pizza with

Mozarella

1. listen to before I go to sleep

Terry Pratchett. I get to listen to a lot of it as my husband has audiobooks on all the time. I approve of almost all his choices, although he always switches off the Tom Clancey when I come into the room.

1. try at least once

Someone told me a long time ago I should go to the races, horse racing, at least once. I live quite near Ffoslas race course and bought a ticket to go in August 2012. And then my brother died and I’ve never made the arrangement again. I’ve lost touch with the friend I was going to go with, and really don’t want to go on a ‘Ladies Day/Night’. But it’s on my very long list of ‘things to do in 2018’

2 Likes