Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 26/10/2018 5️⃣

Bore da! It’s promising a cold weekend here in Wales, what’s the forecast in your area? [friends from Australia need not gloat :wink:] Whatever you’re up to, I hope you have good couple of days and are able to fir in some R&R.

OK, here goes for this week’s five…

1) What do you need but do not want? - ALSO - What do you want but do not need?

2) We recently re-watched Four Weddings and a Funeral. Considering the opening scene, what was the last thing which made you swear out loud?

3) If you had to hang a portrait of a famous face in your house, who would you chose and why?

4) How are you preparing for winter?

5) What do we need more of to make things work better?

6) Make up your own Friday Five question and answer it…

1 Like

I need to stop using sub-titles but don’t want to. I want to be more fluent but, in London, don’t really need to.

2) We recently re-watched Four Weddings and a Funeral. Considering the opening scene, what was the last thing which made you swear out loud?

Struggling after I decided to do some of the Northern course and every time Aran said, ‘moving on’!

3) If you had to hang a portrait of a famous face in your house, who would you chose and why?

Aran, as it would stop me using sub-titles if it was in the same room as my TV.

Painting a picture of Aran.

Left hemisphere brain cells.

Q. What do you do when a programme has no Welsh sub-titles?
A. Gently curse the portrait hanging on my wall.

Sorry Aran!

3 Likes

I couldn’t really argue that I need anything more than I have at the moment. :slight_smile:
I want a new bathroom with a nice bath in it.

When I dropped the i-pad on Tuesday and cracked the screen :(:unamused:

I’d buy a portrait of Elgar for my husband because he’s obsessed.

Going to buy my daughter a new winter coat today and possibly some jumpers for us both. We’ll probably just end up having lunch and coming home with nothing as we are hopeless shoppers.

Politicians who are even vaguely competent.

What item of clothing do you hope never comes back into fashion?
Low-waisted trousers - years of misery.

5 Likes

Having just stocked up on two weeks’ worth of anthracite, I really wish I didn’t need to burn coal, it’s dirty and dusty and unsustainable, but it’s the only way to keep the house warm. Next year things will change…
I can’t help it, but I want just about every tool and gadget going: a pressure cooker, an ice cream maker, a Kenwood Chef, a chainsaw mill, a mitre saw, a new chainsaw, a scroll saw, a woodworking plane, a scorp, a warping board, and a set of wood chisels are all on my wishlist. But I don’t need any of them and I’m not working at the moment, so that’s where they’ll stay. Oh, and every time I go to the hardware shop I want to buy all the nuts and bolts and brass fittings. The look and feel and sound of them is incredibly satisfying.

Oh dear. I think it was five minutes ago when a cut and paste didn’t work on Word. I swear a lot… Not generally in public, though.

Maybe Aneurin Bevan? He’s quite popular in our house. And it would please my grandson, who’s named after him. My grandmother would be turning in her grave, though - she hated him, ever since he reportedly refused to shake hands with her father.

Buying anthracite, chopping wood, pointing the walls at the bottom of the house to stop up any mouse/shrew/vole entry holes, potting up my brine pickles, clearing out the veg beds, planting some winter crops in the polytunnel, processing potato seeds, drying beans, cutting bracken for compost, and baking. It’s quite a busy time of year!

Compassion.

Q: What’s it like having a shower and hot water AND a working washing machine again after over 2 months of washing out of a bucket?
A: Amazing! I may stay wet all week…

5 Likes

Oh, yes! (You’ve just made me swear out loud at the thought of them!)

1 Like

I think this is the most generally terrifying answer we’ve ever had to a Friday Five… :scream: :joy:

Can I just answer Nanny McPhee for both of those?

Okay, okay. I need to get up early enough in the morning to help get the kids ready for school, but I DO NOT WANT TO.

I want to spend my entire time learning languages and eating ice-cream and scuba-diving (yes, all at the same time), but I do not (technically) need to.

I’m with Isata on this - it’s never very long. I got a bit ranty about the dreadful state of a current global Twitter argument on the way home from the doctor just now.

Peter Allen. It seems only fair.

Failing that, um, dunno. Ww, how about Dafydd ap Gwilym?

Listening to the Manic Street Preachers.

Local currencies which operate under a system of demurrage.

Q. Would a wise person spend their last penny on a ticket to see the Manics and then spend the last week of the month trying hard not to eat or breathe or use any diesel?
A. No. Obviously not, you idiot.

4 Likes

Holy [beep], no one says things like this anymore! I actually know what this means and totally agree 100%. Talk about velocity of money!

Edited to add: I did not swear, like SSiW automated word police think. Or at least the word I used is not considered a bad word in the United States.

1 Like

I need @peterallen sense of humor, but do not want it because I’ll get into a lot of trouble :smiley:
I want this little piece of art, but I do not truly need it.

Realizing I had left my car keys in the house and I was running late to get my Daughter to school.

Because I can never take these types of questions seriously, but if I had to, I’d choose Emperor Norton of San Francisco. He was quite the eccentric, constantly challenged the law for good and worse, circulated his own currency and was a well-liked rebel rouser. Over 10,000 people attended his funeral. The link is to the Wikipedia article on him.

Picturing my Family in southern Florida opening up their windows and doors to let the warm winter breezes fill their homes. Winter in Florida is absolutely lovely!

I like Aran’s idea, an honest currency system will amend a lot of issues.

If you could be anywhere else, right now, where would you be? With my Wife and Daughter in Florida.

2 Likes

Yup, sorry 'bout that, but it is over here. I mean, not heart-breakingly so, but on the SSiW ‘none of that at all’ test… :wink:

No worries, Aran. I did not want the fine people on SSiW to think I said holy [beep] <- adult word used, when in fact I said holy [beep] <- mild word used throughout the US. Now the SSiW word police have a word to redact. :rofl:

1 Like

@delawarejones did you get your daughter’s approval to use that word? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Well…in fact she said that word (lesser form) today, 'Where did that [beep] come from. :smiley: I’m only approved to say the other word in very limited circumstances.

1 Like

This is clearly the wrong answer. Memorable experiences with people you love are far more important than eating and breathing and diesel. It just might not feel that way while you’re standing still, holding your breath and feeling hungry…

2 Likes

Thank you - that feeds very neatly into several strands of self-justification I’ve got running at the moment… :wink:

Glad to be of service. Now, if you could just tell me how important it is that I have an ice cream maker, a chainsaw mill, a scorp, my own collection of nuts, bolts and brass fittings… :smirk:

1 Like

It doesn’t really feel fair for anyone to have to live without an ice-cream maker (maybe you can eke that out to help with the others?).

Oh, hang on - I don’t have an ice-cream maker. :frowning:

1 Like

An ice-cream maker is essential for making ice-cream without added sugar!:icecream:I use stevia to sweeten it. I have a mini ice cream maker - it only makes a couple of servings. The bowl has to be kept in the freezer before use, so I didn’t want a big one taking up room. The first attempt wasn’t successful, but in the last month I’ve made vanilla, apple and clotted cream varieties, but I’ll have to get a bit more adventurous.

2 Likes

Well, you’ve convinced me that it’s justified for you to have one…

2 Likes

A warping board? Are you a weaver, or do you want to be a weaver?

I’m an emerging weaver :slightly_smiling_face:. I’ve only woven one blanket, and I’m on my second (for my soon-to-be grandson). I’ve just got a rigid heddle, though, nothing fancy. I know you knit - do you weave?