1) What do you need but do not want? - ALSO - What do you want but do not need?
Having just stocked up on two weeks’ worth of anthracite, I really wish I didn’t need to burn coal, it’s dirty and dusty and unsustainable, but it’s the only way to keep the house warm. Next year things will change…
I can’t help it, but I want just about every tool and gadget going: a pressure cooker, an ice cream maker, a Kenwood Chef, a chainsaw mill, a mitre saw, a new chainsaw, a scroll saw, a woodworking plane, a scorp, a warping board, and a set of wood chisels are all on my wishlist. But I don’t need any of them and I’m not working at the moment, so that’s where they’ll stay. Oh, and every time I go to the hardware shop I want to buy all the nuts and bolts and brass fittings. The look and feel and sound of them is incredibly satisfying.
2) We recently re-watched Four Weddings and a Funeral. Considering the opening scene, what was the last thing which made you swear out loud?
Oh dear. I think it was five minutes ago when a cut and paste didn’t work on Word. I swear a lot… Not generally in public, though.
3) If you had to hang a portrait of a famous face in your house, who would you chose and why?
Maybe Aneurin Bevan? He’s quite popular in our house. And it would please my grandson, who’s named after him. My grandmother would be turning in her grave, though - she hated him, ever since he reportedly refused to shake hands with her father.
4) How are you preparing for winter?
Buying anthracite, chopping wood, pointing the walls at the bottom of the house to stop up any mouse/shrew/vole entry holes, potting up my brine pickles, clearing out the veg beds, planting some winter crops in the polytunnel, processing potato seeds, drying beans, cutting bracken for compost, and baking. It’s quite a busy time of year!
5) What do we need more of to make things work better?
6) Make up your own Friday Five question and answer it…
Q: What’s it like having a shower and hot water AND a working washing machine again after over 2 months of washing out of a bucket?
A: Amazing! I may stay wet all week…