Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 25/01/19 5️⃣

Dydd Santes Dwynwen hapus to you all! :heart:

1. What is the first thing which jumps to mind when you hear or see the word ‘cariad’?

2. If you could star in a movie alongside a fictional love interest, who would play that role?

3. When did you last spread the love, romantically or otherwise?

4. What’s the worst date you’ve ever had?

5. Make up your own Santes Dwynwen related question ans answer it… :wink:

2 Likes

My (newly six) granddaughter brought a lovely hand-crafted Cerdyn Santes Dwynwen home from.school today. She also brought us a Santes Dwynwen heart shaped biscuit she’d made but she scoffed that herself :disappointed:

1. What is the first thing which jumps to mind when you hear or see the word ‘cariad’?
Maureen :heart::heart:
2. If you could star in a movie alongside a fictional love interest, who would play that role?
Sleeping Beauty played by Darcey Bussell with whom I have long wanted to dance a Pas de Deux. :smile::heart:
3, When did you last spread the love, romantically or otherwise?
I refuse to answer that on the grounds that I might incriminate myself
In 1961 (I remember as if it were yesterday) I stood at the appointed place for my date to arrive. She cycled past. I called out forlornly “What’s happening?” “I’ve stood you up” was her devastatingly honest reply. I’m just beginning to get over it now.
5.Make up your own Santes Dwynwen related question ans answer it… :wink:
Q: Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?
A: In Ystrad Meurig, perhaps not.

5 Likes

My wife, very clichéd but I couldn’t cope without her.
Emma Thompson. She, for me, is the most natural actores out there. I imagine falling in love with her in a film would be so close to the real thing.
Today, obviously. Dydd Santes Dwynwen. :wink:
A girl once invited me to hers’ for a date. I turned up at the pre-arranged time, we watched tele for a couple of hours with her mum and brother then I went home. I was gutted because the first date went really well … there was no third date.
5. But soft, what light through yonder window breaks? (Inspired by @HuwJones)
Well, it ain’t the sun mate, not in January anyway.

3 Likes

My daughter’s middle name is Cariad. She was born on Valentine’s Day (just) and it popped into my head.

The mere thought brings me out in a rash, so Piriton probably gets the gig.

My son’s best friend died this summer. They were very close and she was a part of this family. We miss her so terribly. Her mother has, in the midst of the most horrible, awful period of her life, made time to be with my son and stay connected with him, to let him know he wasn’t alone and was still special to her. How she has done it, I will never know, but to me, that is the most amazing way to spread the love.

Having a drink with some bloke at uni so that my friend could chat up his friend and then feeling inescapably trapped. He was a nice chap, but the whole thing made me feel so awkward. I was very pleased when a good friend of mine appeared and gave me an excuse to escape. The good friend became my husband in the end!

Can’t think of a Santes Dwynwen question, because it’s flipping January and all I can think of are wooly socks and avoiding draughts. I’m a true romantic, clearly!

5 Likes

What is the first thing which jumps to mind when you hear or see the word ‘cariad’?

Possibly Cerys, from ‘Cerys a Cariad’, where Cariad is her pet rabbit. Which is rather disconcerting.

If you could star in a movie alongside a fictional love interest, who would play that role?

Oh, easy, got to be Sandra Bullock. In fact, I’m counting on a friend’s brother (who’s currently working with Julia Roberts!) to make this happen.

When did you last spread the love, romantically or otherwise?

Playing patacake as quickly as possible with Angharad Lliar just now, at her birthday meal out, while a large table of young women next to us tried to stifle their mocking laughter. I’m sure I was better at it than they would have been, though.

What’s the worst date you’ve ever had?

Gosh. I don’t think I’ve ever actually had a bad date. Couple of not very interesting ones, but nothing actually bad. Now relationships, on the other hand… :scream:

Is it possible to celebrate Santes Dwynwen properly with your wife when it falls on the same day as your daughter’s birthday?

No.

4 Likes

This made me chuckle! I’m so sorry for such a horrible experience, but it’s a great story!

2 Likes

What is the first thing which jumps to mind when you hear or see the word ‘cariad’?

The classic TV series about David Lloyd George, starring Philip Madoc. He always addressed his wife as “cariad”, so I heard it quite a lot, and I wasn’t learning Welsh at the time.

If you could star in a movie alongside a fictional love interest, who would play that role?

I’d like to work alongside either of the following in any role whatsoever:

Veronica Lake

(sadly, no longer with us)

or Jacqueline Bisset

I wouldn’t even want a role. Would be happy to be gofor or teaboy (champagne boy?) for either. :wink:

I realise I probably haven’t really answered the question.

What’s the worst date you’ve ever had?

One that never happened. We had met informally and got on very well, but our first proper date got cancelled because her strict dad hadn’t met me. I had to hear this via a mutual friend. We didn’t have a phone at home, and I didn’t have my own transport at the time, and she lived out in the sticks. What with one thing or another it never came to anything. Pity as she was a nice girl. I didn’t score highly on initiative, and much later when we met by chance, she more or less ignored me, so not a happy memory.

Make up your own Santes Dwynwen related question ans answer it… :wink:

If you were footloose and fancy free, who would you be sending the Santes Dwynwen card to or angling for a date with?

I can think of certain parties who, if they played their cards right, could definitely “pull” me. :wink:

1 Like

Concerning @CatrinLliarJones 's excellent movie co-star question.

Darcey Bussell, Emma Thomson, Sandra Bullock, Veronica Lake, Jacqueline Bisset are all wonderful co-stars and I’d be delighted to act with any of them, but there seems to be a noteable lack of male characters. . :laughing:

To start the ball rolling, Maureen has suggested George Clooney. Do people (of any gender) have any male fantasy “love interests”? :smile:

1 Like

I’ll just leave this here…

3 Likes

Oh, @aran…Strider is it? Well-at least it’s not images%20(2)

Can’t be counted on to take a ring all the way to Mordor. Very risky choice.

4 Likes

Oh, Viggo was a legend long before he became Strider… :wink:

Very risky choice

I’m no expert, but isn’t that part of the attraction?

3 Likes

You’d never heard of him before LoR… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Heard of, mayhap not really; seen…GI Jane wrth cwrs (or is it wrth gwrs).

There, fixed it… :wink:

3 Likes

Ond cariad pur sydd fel y dur, yn para tra bo dau’

I think I may have already answered that question…:wink:

My daughter’s 10th birthday party celebrations last weekend (dydd Santes Dwynwen to be precise)

The one where he told me that he’d changed his mind, but that his brother was interested… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes