Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 14/09/2018

A finnau ‘fyd

1 Like

Love it! I so wish I could tell my dad about this.

Was that the one in which he drinks toilet cleaner or something?
That was an unbelievably good show that I was a bit late in discovering. Thank goodness for repeats.

2 Likes

On backslang again, there was a French comedy / drama type film I saw once about two police detectives in Paris, and older and a younger one. The older one, typically cynical and jaded, was played by the wonderful Philippe Noiret, and like old-time cops everywhere I should imagine, depended on having informers among the criminal “fraternity” and so spent a lot of his time in shady areas (and perhaps doing shady deals). Anyway, I was interested to learn that these detectives were using backslang. I’m not sure how I found out, since my French would not have been good enough to pick it up; perhaps I read it in the reviews or something.

Doing some googling, I wonder if it could have been one of these films:

Les Ripoux (literally, crooked cops) Philippe Noiret and Thierry Lhermitte play two corrupt policemen in a series of three comedies directed by Claude Zidi (1984, 1990 and 2003).

I didn’t know there had been three of them. That’s from:

I remember one classic line from the film (English translation). The Noiret character is lying in bed with his girlfriend, but is completely fatigué - no interest in lovemaking.
“I’m so sorry ma cherie, but in the state I’m in, I couldn’t even put my finger in jelly…”

1 Like

these detectives were using backslang

I’m guessing it was the “verlan” I talked about here :slight_smile:

:joy::joy::joy:

Ripoux = pourri, rotten, corrupt.

1 Like

Floor polish. “ I’m going down to the shop, Dougal, to get some more floor polish. We’ll leave it around the house to keep it safe …”

3 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

1) Go on, hit me with a stunning song lyric.

The trucks don’t work by The Verve… oh… hold on…

2) When did you last laugh till you were weak and why?

Watching this…

4) What is something you’ve recently found yourself having to explain over and over again ?

Why it’s important to go to sleep on time. Why it’s important to clean your teeth properly. Why you can’t ask Sion Corn for a laptop. Why you shouldn’t keep your clothes on the floor. Why we should all contribute to taking the dog for a walk.

5) What will be your focus for personal improvement in the coming months?

More yoga.
Becoming a more discerning wine buyer.
Mop the floor more often.

3 Likes