Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 04/05/2018

Prynhawn da bawb! Here’s wishing you a happy Friday and may the fourth me with you! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1) Today is (officially) Star Wars day. We are passionate Star Wars fans in our house. What or who are you a huge fan of and why?

2) These past two weeks my daughter has been pushed to the limits, bless her - one nasty illness, hours and hours of dress rehearsals for a dance show, Karate lessons, swimming lessons, national tests in school and finally two 2 hour dance shows, one last night and another tomorrow. When and why were you last pushed to the limit?

3) Finish these sentences -

• If I was in a Star Wars movie I would…
  • I hope no one ever asks me about the time…
  • I know I shouldn’t laugh, but…

4) What was the last thing you filed or put in a folder?

5) So what are you doing with this Bank Holiday weekend?

Ok then… one bonus for the Bank Holiday…

6) I can fold fitted sheets like a boss - what menial task have you mastered like a Jedi?

1) What or who are you a huge fan of and why?
Really corny but my wife, if everything else in my life is falling apart I can always feel comfortable when she’s there. I’m a lucky guy.

2) When and why were you last pushed to the limit?
On holiday in Florida last May. My head was in a terrible place and I had to try to enjoy myself with the family. It was really difficult and I’m not sure I managed to get away with the charade very successfully.

3) Finish these sentences
If I was in a Star Wars movie I would…
Have been the storm trooper that banged his head on the doorway.

I hope no one ever asks me about the time…
I followed my dad up the ladder into the attic …

I know I shouldn’t laugh, but…
UKIP are all but dead now. At last.

Ironically we’ve just (last night) had a massive clear out of old documents and papers so our little file box is now neat and tidy.

Quality* time with the family.

*kids moaning and groaning about being out in the fresh air, squabbling, teasing each other. Oh the joys. :grin:

6) I can fold fitted sheets like a boss - what menial task have you mastered like a Jedi?
I can tie shoelaces and fold t-shirts at lightening speed.

3 Likes

1) Today is (officially) Star Wars day. We are passionate Star Wars fans in our house. What or who are you a huge fan of and why?

Staying with films, “La Nuite Americaine”/“Day for Night”, starring Jacqueline Bisset :heart: :heart: :heart:

And “Double Indemnity” with Fred McMurray and Barbara Stanwyck :heart: :heart: :heart:

https://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BNjMxODIzODEzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDgwNjI2.V1_UY317_CR2,0,214,317_AL.jpg

And absolutely anything with Veronica Lake

(Guess I really like “femmes fatales”! :wink:

2) These past two weeks my daughter has been pushed to the limits, bless her - one nasty illness, hours and hours of dress rehearsals for a dance show, Karate lessons, swimming lessons, national tests in school and finally two 2 hour dance shows, one last night and another tomorrow. When and why were you last pushed to the limit?

I think I am about to be, disposing of a seriously over-sized “computer desk” that my wife no longer wants, and has decreed must leave the house.

1. Finish these sentences -

If I was in a Star Wars movie I would…

Talk like that Cockney gangster in the well-known Youtube spoof
(hilarious, but very sweary).

I hope no one ever asks me about the time…

I took my driving test, and almost went through a red light. ( I didn’t pass :slight_smile: ).

I know I shouldn’t laugh, but…

I’m quite glad Theresa May decided to go on a walking holiday in North Wales last Easter.

Also, you know how male politicians like to stand in that ridiculous “power stance”…well someone said it just looks like they’ve wet their pants… :wink:

Some papers for a meeting. I’m not a very good filer though, and I keep far too much clutter…something I am attempting to remedy.

A combined family 70th and 80th birthday party.

Well I can wash dishes moderately well…and I secretly hate the dishwasher for that reason :slight_smile: "you will never replace me you evil robot, and you take far too long and are a nuisance to load and unload…!" :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m only going to answer a few of the questions today.

It’s Pirates of the Caribbean for me. Perhaps I should say Pirate of the Caribbean, because I’m a squealing Captain Barbossa fangirl (I’ve always wanted to say it that way). Seriously, though, I’ve never found a character so interesting who had exactly nothing by way of a background story. OMG, what Disney could have done with him, because that lack doesn’t make him a Man of Mystery, it makes him a blank. That was a huge oversight, and it brings out the fanfic writer in me. :wink: The best compliment I ever got from a reader was that if Disney had been a trifle more daring, my story would have slotted in perfectly.

I’m also a giant fan of Alice in Wonderland, whether written or in film, and particularly the ballet. How can you not love a ballet where the Mad Hatter is a tap dancer?

A printout of the last tale I penned.

No Bank Holiday here because I’m in the U.S., but the closest holiday is Cinco de Mayo (the Fifth of May); which, in this country, is a celebration of Mexican culture (it’s more of a military commemoration in Mexico). If I were still in Los Angeles, this would be a huge deal. In that case, I’d go down to Olvera Street (touristy but fun, and don’t let them kid you: all the locals go there), eat myself silly on all my favorite Mexican foods and sweets, drink a gallon or two of horchata (a cinnamon-flavored rice drink), and buy a pretty new embroidered cotton dress to wear. I’ll probably need a couple of sizes larger after all the food!

Bonus Question:

Shoehorning my mountain of belongings into the smallest possible space just like a jigsaw puzzle. I arrange and rearrange and rearrange some more, and every time I get so much as a new T-shirt, it calls for more backbreaking rearranging. It’s unbelievable how much is in here and how perfectly it all fits. The downside is that I can never move out, because it will take three years to pack it all up. Or four years. Or five.

And I’m with @mikeellwood — I’m a dandy Washer of Dishes, and I never let anything pile up in the sink. Dishwashers are a waste of water and energy for one person, but what I really hate about them is that they have a tendency to leak suds and dirty water all over the floor. Yuck.

3 Likes

Me too. Hilariously satisfying. I will even fold them if they are to go straight back on the bed. It’s laughable because the rest of the house looks like someone rotavated it then sprinkled random junk on top. It is Eton Mess, without the classy Eton bit. All the meringue has been shattered and walked into the carpet…
None of that matters, when you see those little elastic corners tuck into each other.[quote=“sororp, post:4, topic:12194”]
I’m a dandy Washer of Dishes
[/quote]

All I can express is my complete envy for your skills. There is always too much, and it is always chaos, and if my dishwasher didn’t hum, I would be lost.

I saw a horse today who has come from a place of fear and has now found himself. I have enormous respect for these animals, but also for someone like Carl Hester - top world dressage trainer, who gets exceptional results through kindness and true understanding.

Having my last baby five weeks early in dramatic fashion, and then losing my brother three weeks later. I have never been pulled so far in two directions, or had the rug whipped from under me so fast.

Spend my life in wardrobe - their clothes are too cool.

I found myself outside a kebab house at 4am wearing a wedding dress and trainers. A classy moment, I think you’ll agree.

When my seven year old daughter stamps her feet, throws her head back, and wails ‘WHY DOES NOBODY IN THIS HOUSE GIVE ME ANY RESPECT?’

I can’t file. I can only heap.

Sunny BBQ. Paddling pool. Playing with ponies. Not all at once, you understand, which would be complicated and messy.[quote=“catrinlliarjones, post:1, topic:12194”]
[/quote]

Towels. For some reason unbeknownst to me, my towels are always soft and fluffy and last forever. It is not a jedi skill because I have no idea how it happens, but it creates a little bit of frustration in my mum and mum-in-law, who both are supremely skilled at all things clean and tidy (and outstrip me by miles and miles) yet they both suffer with crunchy towels.
To be fair, I don’t much care about towels (I think the secret may be in ignoring them completely) but I have to take these little victories where I can find them. :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

I think that must take jedi skill, whatever you say. Well beyond my skills anyway.
I love fitted sheets, but if sheets have to be folded neatly, then I need them to be traditional and elastic-free.

I do have roughly an O level grade C in duvet-cover fitting though. Mind you some duvet-covers are a dream to fit, while others are seriously discouraging, and behave as if they don’t want to be fitted; perhaps they believe their true vocation is as a sail sheet or something. I owe all my duvet-cover fitting skills to my wife; she trained me up to a basic level of competence, but no further; didn’t want me getting big-headed about it. She also trained our son, and he found he had to train some of his fellow students at uni!

2 Likes

Fitting an Ikea cover on to a non Ikea duvet for instance, or the other way around. Who makes up these sizes?
In our house we have the daily struggle of children insisting on sleeping inside the duvet cover, leaving some sort of lumpy mystery for me to sort out.

1 Like

BIONICLE, especially the story which is happening on the island of Mata-Nui. This is what I mean. It’s for children but I still am a kid when it comes to this great series of books, movies, toys and what more LEGO once magnificiently did. The Bionicle series lives again but it’s not as good as it once was. These times back from 2001 all the way to 2013 were legendary as it was this story.

And I’m all Toa Gali in this movie.
And why I am a big fan? Simply because I’ve translated almost all books of 1st (Chronicles) and 2nd (Legends) series from English into Slovene language for my son and lived the story through the books. There are 100+ books in total (each about 100 -140 pages with larger script than usually). We in the family possess quite a lot of toys too.

We’re fans of many movies and series - Star Wars too (not to disappoint you @CatrinLliarJones) but this is my favourite. If I’d be one of the Toa, I’d strive to change the world for better and more just as it is now. (Dream on, yes, but many times dreammers made the future and history). One could compare Star Wars in a way to BIONICLE. Makuta is as Dart Wader, Toa are Jedies … good and evil, darkness and light … :slight_smile:

In the periode from 2005-2007 when all sorts of things happened to me all the way from false acusations of that I am what I am not (I don’t actually want to talk about this) all the way to my father’s quick (in one week) death. Thankfully my husband was here for me all this tough time supporting and understanding me.

… be a jedi (I lack that wisdom and of them, calmness and I’d be just happy with some of their powers using them wisely.

I was about 9 or so and I was on the visit to some family … no I won’t say what happened at the time and I didn’t know exactly what I did that time, but later thinking about that really made me embarrassed.

There were many such occassions. Just that i don’t remember them anymore.

I always try to file something but the more I do that the bigger mess all sorts of papers are in.

No bank holidays here ever … And our holidays are over until 26th June when it’s the national holiday celebrating Slovenia declering independence in 1990.

Nothing at all. All things I do are not made well. These days I don’t feel my fingertips so I would be a bad brailles script reader also. …

1 Like

Star Wars and Jane Austen but not both together…:wink:

I guess when my brother’s wife passed away quite suddenly two and a half years ago, one month after a cancer diagnosis - it was hell.

3) Finish these sentences -

• If I was in a Star Wars movie I would… be the most excited Jedi in the world.
  • I hope no one ever asks me about the time… I didn’t quite understand the ‘rules’ about using a so called ‘public toilet’ in Ghana.
  • I know I shouldn’t laugh, but… when my son sometimes tries his very best to be cross with me, it’s hilarious!

Some car related stuff.

Daughter’s annual dance (ballet and tap) show in Pwllheli.
Friends’ daughter’s wedding party.
Gardening.
Barbecuing.
Sunning.

I can fold king size fitted sheets like a Jedi, whilst watching Star Wars.

I think we need a YouTube instruction video (Yn Gymraeg of course) for those of us not yet blessed with Jedi sheet-folding skills!

2 Likes