Poem to help pronunciation?

I have really taken to the SSiW aural/oral way of learning. Now I’m at a stage where I’d like to write things in Welsh!

Are there any Welsh poems written with pronunciation and spelling in mind? If not, would someone like to help crowdfund one and commission a Welsh poet?

1 Like

I love the idea of crowdfunding a commission for a poet… :star2:

Not entirely sure what you mean by ‘written with pronunciation and spelling in mind’, though?

Not entirely sure what you mean by ‘written with pronunciation and spelling in mind’, though?

I mean, written so that it covers all the basic sounds in Welsh eg ‘au’ as in ‘dau’, ‘y’ as in ‘Crymych’ etc. This way, by learning a short (?) poem by rote, you’d have a reference for all common sounds.

A while back I pinged the poet Eurig Salisbury on Twitter and he very kindly recorded his poem Fy Map I:

Would be nice to have something like this bespoke that anyone could copy and paste at will :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Does Eurig’s cover what you were looking for? If so, might be worth just asking for his permission to share… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wonder what a poet could make of the standard SSIW patterns and vocab if comissed to do so?

Or a storyteller/writer

Seems like that’d be a useful and fun way to transition.

2 Likes

Not exactly what you had in mind, perhaps, but if you go to the web page of the Radio Cymru programme “Y Talwrn”, and click on the “clipiau” link, you will find a lot of clips from the programme (sometimes with video, others just audio), and quite a few of them have the text of the peice being recited (sometimes it’s sung!). There seem to be clips going back to previous series over quite a few years. You’ll have to go through them and see if you can find things you like.

But it should show you the correspondence between the written form and the same thing spoken by an experienced (possibly first language) speaker, so I think you can rely on the pronunciation (at least in the dialect of that particular speaker).

“home page” for the series:

2 Likes

brilliant, will have a look :slight_smile: