Periodic Table in Welsh

As a knitter myself I congratulate Avital!

2 Likes

Fridge magnets, shower curtains, jumpers, badges, mugs, tea-towels…I think I’ve spotted a business opportunity here! (If I could be bothered and had an ounce of entrepreneurial spirit…)

Perhaps not property related but its practical application in medicine:

Li -> Lithium
Sm -> Sefydlogium (Stableium)

1 Like

Avital is not a scientist; she is a technical writer with engineering experience in the computer systems field. She is also a very skilled knitter.
I am a microbiologist. When Avital asked me for a suggestion for a design for a new sweater, we agreed on a periodic table.
Thanks for the compliment!

1 Like

Thanks so much!

Diolch yn fawr iawn!

I am a microbiologist

Microbiolegydd ydw i :smile:
(I’ve seen “meicrobiolegydd”, too)

1 Like

As a physicist I bet that you always wanted to know that yn attaledig was a term once used to describe Refrangibility - now there’s a thing. (I am of course just being a bit silly and had never heard of Refrangibility.

1 Like

I believe that refrangibility is the bending of a ray of light when it passes from France, through Monaco, and back into France.

2 Likes

now that’s my kind of science

2 Likes

“yn attaledig”

I can’t find “attaledig” in any of my printed or online dictionaries. Can you check the spelling or let me know where you met it? (The “yn” bit suggests it’s an adverb)

I’ve never used or heard of “refrangibie” in Physics, so I looked it up and found it meant “capable of being refracted” which, in physics, refers to a wave which changes its speed when moving from one medium or environment into another. In the case of light (an electomagnetic wave) this leads to the bending which occurs in prisms, lenses, or rivers where the trout you see from the bank is not where it appears to be.

I occasionally use “frangible” to mean “fragile” or “easily breakable” as with china , glass or my delicate ego. :laughing:

I’m more than happy to go with @Baruch 's very plausible definition of refrangibility.

2 Likes

In the GPC ataliedig, ataledig (no ‘yn’), with enough non-physics meanings that the Welsh autocomplete on my Android recognises it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

it shows this example in GPC:

Ffis. Y gellir ei blygu (am oleuni):

refrangible (in physics).
hide
1795 J. Thomas: AIC 262, Ac mae goleuni hefyd yn Blygedig (Reflexibility) ac yn Attaledig (Refrangibility).

id. 275, [p]elydr plygedig ac Attaledig o oleuni.

2 Likes

Thanks, @Toffidil - I don’t feel so bad now about not knowing a late 18th Century word in Physics. Doesn’t GPC indicate when a word is archaic?

Sorry I conveniently forgot to mention it was archaic - good for a bit of fun though.

2 Likes

Agreed :blush::laughing:

Maybe I confused everyone by mentioning phlogiston?

Well the eighteenth-century-ness rather explains the variable spelling – but that ‘yn’ is just the normal one between ‘mae’/‘bod’ and an adjective :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is that the kind of oxygen breathed in by presenters on those antique auction TV shows…?

:wink:

4 Likes