Oxford Welsh learners group

Thanks for the New Year catch-up message, John, also for the review: useful to a relative newcomer! Fridays still gd for me but other times cld be poss too. And Blwyddyn Newydd dda pawb, ofcourse!

2 Likes

The review is great! I am amazed that we have done so much. Thank you everyone for your company and support and especially to John for organising so many different activities. Tuesday and Friday lunchtime work well for me but I am flexible, if other days/ times work better for other people. Looking forward to seeing you all in the New Year. Bethan

1 Like

Thank you, John. That’s a really interesting review.
Friday 12:00 in Oxford is good for me, though it doesn’t have to be 12:00.
Some Tuesdays 12:00 on Zoom are good if it doesn’t clash with a meeting. This should improve in March when I come off the retirement group committee.
Other days and times could be possible, but I would rather not go to Oxford in the evenings. Zoom would be possible in the evenings, but not 8:30 - 9:30 pm because I talk to my daughter.
Blwyddyn Newydd dda pawb.
Sue

1 Like

Helo bawb - it’ll be the usual meetup pattern this week:

• 12:00 Tuesday 10th January/ dydd Mawrth 10ed Ionawr ( via Zoom - contact me for login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 13th January/ dydd Gwener 13eg Ionawr ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside entrance hall to the right, next to windows on opp. side from the cafe. The coffee table area’s reserved for SSiW)

Hwyl a chaw’n saff
John

Well, it doesn’t seem as if there’s much interest in having additional meetups, so let’s stick with our existing weekly schedule for the time being. This week’s meetups, then, will be :

• 12:00 Tuesday 17th January/ dydd Mawrth 17eg Ionawr ( via Zoom - contact me for login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 20th January/ dydd Gwener 20fed Ionawr ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside entrance hall to the right, next to windows on opp. side from the cafe. The coffee table area’s reserved for SSiW)

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

In case you might not have spotted it, details of a walk+sgwrs on Saturday here https://en.forum.saysomethingin.com/t/oxford-walks/7540/661 :slightly_smiling_face:

Diolch yn fawr, @RichardBuck.
I have just been reading about the Archimedes palimpsest. What an amazing story. And what an amazing man he was.
Sue

2 Likes

Helo bawb - same details as last week for the meetups in this last full week of January (already!).
Do get in touch if you’d like more info or have any questions :slightly_smiling_face:

• 12:00 Tuesday 24th January/ dydd Mawrth 24ain Ionawr ( via Zoom - contact me for login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 27th January/ dydd Gwener 27ain Ionawr ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside entrance hall to the right, next to windows on opp. side from the cafe. The coffee table area’s reserved for SSiW)

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Helo bawb - hope some of you celebrated Dydd Santes Dwynwen last Wednesday. Into February this week, so only another month to St David’s Day / Dydd GĆ”yl Dewi. We’re hoping to arrange a meal sometime around the beginning of March to celebrate that - let me know if you think you might be interested :slightly_smiling_face:

Meanwhile this week we’ll be having the usual meetups:

• 12:00 Tuesday 31st January/ dydd Mawrth 31ain Ionawr ( via Zoom - contact me for login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 3rd February/ dydd Gwener 3edd Chwefror ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside entrance hall to the right, next to windows on opp. side from the cafe. The coffee table area’s reserved for SSiW)

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Helo bawb - eight of us managed to get to Friday’s meetup and a nice mix of all levels of Welsh so, if you’d like to join us, you should find someone at the same level as you! :slightly_smiling_face:

This week it’ll be the same pattern of meetups as last week

• 12:00 Tuesday 7th February/ dydd Mawrth 7fed Chwefror ( via Zoom - contact me for login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 10th February/ dydd Gwener 10fed Chwefror ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside entrance hall to the right, next to windows on opp. side from the cafe. The coffee table area’s reserved for SSiW)

Do get in touch if you have any questions - newcomers are always welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Helo bawb - this week still continuing with the same pattern of meetups:

• 12:00 Tuesday 14th February/ dydd Mawrth 14eg Chwefror ( via Zoom - contact me for login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 17th February/ dydd Gwener 17eg Chwefror ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside entrance hall to the right, next to windows on opp. side from the cafe. The coffee table area’s reserved for SSiW and there’s likely to be a notice to confirm this but don’t worry if you can’t see it)

Let me know you’ve any questions :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Saturday 4 March, St Michael at the Northgate

1 Like

Helo bawb - it’s Shrove Tuesday/Dydd Mawrth Ynyd this week, but if you’re not involved in pancake making :pancakes: Tuesday lunchtime, do join us for the Tuesday Zoom :slightly_smiling_face:

• 12:00 Tuesday 21st February/ dydd Mawrth 21ain Chwefror ( via Zoom - contact me for login details )

Or on Friday

• 12:00 Friday 24th February/ dydd Gwener 24ain Chwefror ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside entrance hall to the right, next to windows on opp. side from the cafe. The coffee table area’s reserved for SSiW and there’s likely to be a bilingual notice to confirm this but don’t worry if you can’t see it)

Don’t forget there’s Dydd GĆ”yl Dewi next week and our Cinio Dydd GĆ”yl Dewi on Friday 3rd March / dydd Gwener 3edd Mawrth (yes, I know that St David’s Day’s on 1st March :grinning: - it’s just that the 3rd works better for more of us).

Also see previous post re St David’s Day concert on Saturday

Do get in touch if you’ve any questions :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Helo bawb - a full week of Welshness this week for :wales: GƔyl Dewi :wales::

• 12:00 Tuesday 28th February/ dydd Mawrth 28ain Chwefror ( via Zoom - contact me for login details )
  • 19:00 Tuesday 28th February/ dydd Mawrth 28ain Chwefror (Eisteddfod Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwilym, Jesus College Chapel )
  • 17:30 Wednesday 1st March/ dydd Mercher 1af Mawrth ( St David’s Day Service/Gwasanaeth Dydd GĆ”yl Dewi, Jesus College Chapel, likely also to be livestreamed on Jesus College Facebook Page & its YouTube channel )
  • 12:00 Friday 3rd March/ dydd Gwener 3edd Mawrth ( Oxford SSiW Cinio Dydd GĆ”yl Dewi - let me know if you’d like to join us )
  • 19:30 Saturday 4th March/ dydd Sadwrn 4edd Mawrth ( Oxford Welsh Male Voice Choir St David’s Day concert, St Michael at the North Gate )

Do get in touch if you’ve any questions :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Helo eto- a quick reminder that as tomorrow we’ll be having our Cinio Dydd GĆ”yl Dewi, there won’t be the usual Friday meetup in the Weston Library.
Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

We had a lovely St David’s Day lunch in La Cucina today, and it was nice for me to meet Marie and Jane!

Here’s a link to Huw Edwards’ documentary on Patagonia (repeated this week):

1 Like

Helo bawb - Happy St Piran’s Day! ( Cornish/Cernyweg: Gool Peran))! image :slightly_smiling_face:

After last week’s St David’s Day events it’s back to the usual meetups this week :

• 12:00 Tuesday 7th March/ dydd Mawrth 7fed Mawrth ( via Zoom - contact me for login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 10th March/ dydd Gwener 10fed Mawrth ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside entrance hall to the right, next to windows on opp. side from the cafe. The coffee table area’s reserved for SSiW and there’s likely to be a notice to confirm this but don’t worry if you can’t see it)

All welcome as always, from brand new learners to first language speakers - do get in touch if you’ve any questions :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Helo eto - this Tuesday, as well as the day for one of our weekly meetups, is also Diwrnod Pai Cymru/ Pi day Cymru, which provides me with the excuse to mention that the first person to introduce the symbol π to geometry was Welshman William Jones. :slightly_smiling_face:

Well, be that as it may, here are the details for this week’s meetups:

• 12:00 Tuesday 14th March/ dydd Mawrth 14eg Mawrth ( via Zoom - contact me for login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 17th March/ dydd Gwener 17eg Mawrth ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside entrance hall to the right, next to windows on opp. side from the cafe. The coffee table area’s reserved for SSiW and there’s likely to be a notice to confirm this but don’t worry if you can’t see it)

All welcome as always, from brand new learners to first language speakers - do get in touch if you’ve any questions :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

2 Likes

:warning: Last minute email from Weston Liby to say we’ll need to use the Cafe for today’s meetup, not the ‘Space for Reading’ :warning:

Helo eto - after last Friday’s minor disruption, this Friday we’ll be back to the usual arrangements for this week’s meetups:

• 12:00 Tuesday 21st March/ dydd Mawrth 21ain Mawrth ( via Zoom - do contact me for login details if you’d like to join us )
  • 12:00 Friday 24th March/ dydd Gwener 24ain Mawrth ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside entrance hall to the right, next to windows & opp. side from the cafe. The coffee table area’s reserved for SSiW and there’s likely to be a notice confirming this but don’t worry if you can’t see it)

Do let me know if you’ve any questions :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John