Oxford Welsh learners group

Oxford’s own Professor of Celtic is giving a talk about the use of Welsh on social media on Thursday evening. I think you can watch on Zoom free of charge (and without needing to register):

1 Like

Helo bawb - the last week in March already and the end of the school term, but it’s the same as usual for this week’s meetups:

• 12:00 Tuesday 28th March/ dydd Mawrth 28ain Mawrth ( via Zoom - do contact me for login details if you’d like to join us )
  • 12:00 Friday 31st March/ dydd Gwener 31ain Mawrth ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside entrance hall to the right, next to windows & opp. side from the cafe. The coffee table area’s reserved for SSiW and there’s likely to be a notice confirming this but don’t worry if you can’t see it)

All welcome! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Helo bawb - April already, school holidays under way and today, being Palm Sunday/Dydd Sul y Blodau, brings home the message that Easter/Pasg is upon us. Will anyone be around for the meetups on Tuesday and Good Friday/Dydd Gwener y Groglith? I guess we’ll find out! :slightly_smiling_face: :

• 12:00 Tuesday 4th April / dydd Mawrth 4edd Ebrill ( via Zoom - do contact me for login details if you’d like to join us )
  • 12:00 Friday 7th April / dydd Gwener 7fed Ebrill ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside entrance hall to the right, next to windows & opp. side from the cafe. The coffee table area’s reserved for SSiW and there’s likely to be a notice confirming this but don’t worry if you can’t see it)

All welcome, including newcomers and any of you visiting! Oxford :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John
PS Other days of Easter Week in Cymraeg: Easter Sunday = Dydd Sul y Pas Pasg yr Wyau, & Maundy Thursday = Dydd Iau Cablyd

1 Like

Diolch, John! It looks as if the public areas of the Weston will be open on Good Friday even though the library will be closed to readers. Unfortunately I won’t be joining you as I have a birthday party to supervise!

1 Like

Pasg hapus bawb! - we’ll be carrying on with the regular meetups during the week although we might be a bit thin on the ground, of course:slightly_smiling_face: :

• 12:00 Tuesday 11th April / dydd Mawrth 11eg Ebrill ( via Zoom - do contact me for login details if you’d like to join us )
  • 12:00 Friday 14th April / dydd Gwener 14eg Ebrill ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside entrance hall to the right, next to windows & opp. side from the cafe. The coffee table area’s reserved for SSiW and there’s likely to be a notice confirming this but don’t worry if you can’t see it)

As usual, all welcome! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John
PS I won’t be able to make Friday’s meetup unfortunately

Helo bawb - the usual meetup pattern this week, but we’re mulling the possibility of a second face to face meeting during the week, maybe at lunchtime, maybe a mid-morning meetup as we used to have pre-lockdown or maybe some other time. Do let me know what you think of the idea :slightly_smiling_face: :

• 12:00 Tuesday 17th April / dydd Mawrth 18fed Ebrill ( via Zoom - do contact me for login details if you’d like to join us )
  • 12:00 Friday 21st April / dydd Gwener 21ain Ebrill ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside entrance hall to the right, next to windows & opp. side from the cafe. The coffee table area’s reserved for SSiW and there’s likely to be a notice confirming this but don’t worry if you can’t see it)

Newcomers especially welcome! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Nice idea, but I don’t think that I can make it to Oxford more than once a week. Maybe a second meeting at a different time would suit different people?

By the way, I shall not be on Zoom on Tuesday. We are going to Crocodile World.

Sue

2 Likes

I’d be happy to try a second face to face meeting during the week if other people are interested. Possibly sometime on a Monday, or Wednesday.

2 Likes

@johnwilliams_6 If you don’t mind that I hardly know enough to converse, I’ll try to join you all in the Weston on Friday.

Robin

2 Likes

Gwych! We’ll look forward to meeting you on Friday, then :+1:

Helo bawb - the last week in April already and next weekend it’s Nos Galan Haf :slightly_smiling_face: :

• 12:00 Tuesday 25th April / dydd Mawrth 25ain Ebrill ( via Zoom - do contact me for login details if you’d like to join us )
  • 12:00 Friday 28th April / dydd Gwener 28ain Ebrill ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside entrance hall to the right, next to windows & opp. side from the cafe. The coffee table area’s reserved for SSiW and there’s likely to be a notice confirming this but don’t worry if you can’t see it)

Also, don’t forget

I should perhaps clarified that this would be a regular weekly meetup. Anyway, if you haven’t already, please do let me know what do you think of the idea :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Helo bawb - May Day/Calan Mai tomorrow and continuing the usual pattern of meetups:

• 12:00 Tuesday 2nd May / dydd Mawrth 2fed Mai ( via Zoom -get in touch for login details if you’d like to join us )
  • 12:00 Friday 5th May/ dydd Gwener 5ed Mai ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside entrance hall to the right, next to windows & opp. side from the excellent cafe. The coffee table area’s reserved for SSiW and there’s likely to be a notice confirming this, don’t worry though if you can’t see it)

Newcomers welcome, as always! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Apologies in advance that I shall have to miss tomorrow’s meeting. A work thing I can’t escape from. Ond dwi wedi bod yn darllen cylchgrawn “Lingo newydd” - ac yn ceisio y llyfrau cymraeg.

Gobeithio gweld chi gyd wythnos nesa. Robin

3 Likes

Diolch i roi gwybod i ni, Robin - tan wythnos nesa, felly
Hwyl
John

Helo bawb - hope you enjoyed, or managed to avoid, Saturday’s Coronation celebrations according to your taste. This week, as usual, our meetups will be:

• 12:00 Tuesday 9th May / dydd Mawrth 9fed Mai ( via Zoom -get in touch for login details if you’d like to join us )
  • 12:00 Friday 12th May/ dydd Gwener 12fed Mai ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside entrance hall to the right, next to windows & opp. side from the excellent cafe. The coffee table area’s reserved for SSiW and there’s likely to be a notice confirming this, don’t worry though if you can’t see it)

Do please let me know if you have any questions :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Helo bawb - Happy International Dylan Thomas Day! :slightly_smiling_face:
Be that as it may, there’s no change to the usual meetup details, apart from the possibility that on Friday we might be using the round table not the coffee table area (see below):

• 12:00 Tuesday 16th May / dydd Mawrth 16eg Mai ( via Zoom -get in touch for login details if you’d like to join us )
  • 12:00 Friday 19th May/ dydd Gwener 19eg Mai ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside entrance hall to the right, next to windows & opp. side from the excellent cafe. NB This last Friday we were allocated the round table adjacent to the coffee table as a poetry group had been allocated the coffee table area. I’m checking if this will be the regular arrangement but, in the meantime, do keep in mind that possibility )

Get in touch if you have any questions :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Hello everyone! I’ve been busy the last few months and I’m not sure when I’ll next be able to join you, but I’m grateful the meetups and walks are still taking place. In the meantime, I wanted to share this mural that appeared in East Oxford a couple of months ago to celebrate Florence Park as ‘Little Wales’ (created by @thebigorangem):

You can find it outside Larkrise Primary School on Boundary Brook Road.

4 Likes

I stopped to take a picture today, too :slight_smile:

5 Likes

What a wonderful draig goch!

1 Like

Helo bawb - we were pleased to welcome two newcomers, our third Jane and also Joe, to last week’s meetup. Also, it’s now been confirmed that the poetry group overlapping our Friday slot the week before last will be meeting now on a different day, so we can keep to the usual timing:

• 12:00 Tuesday 23rd May / dydd Mawrth 23ain Mai ( via Zoom - get in touch for login details if you’d like to join us )
  • 12:00 Friday 26th May/ dydd Gwener 26ain Mai ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside entrance hall to the right, next to windows & opp. side from the excellent cafe)

Newcomers welcome! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John