Oxford Welsh learners group

What did you think of The Feast / Gwedd in the end @RichardBuck @owen-mcknight ?

It’s definitely gory! There’s a plotline about the land and a slight supernatural element.

In terms of the language, I was pleased to be able to match words from the English subtitles with what was being said in Welsh, but Richard will be able to tell you more about the register and the vocabulary.

2 Likes

Diolch, Owen :slight_smile:

Hello Im sorry I won’t be able to meet up today as I have had to arrange an emergency dental appointment. Bethan

Helo bawb - these are the details of this week’s meetups - get in touch here (or via PM) if you’d like more info! :slightly_smiling_face:

• 12:00 Tuesday 13th September/ dydd Mawrth 13eg Medi ( via Zoom - contact me for the login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 16th September/ dydd Gwener 16eg Medi ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside the entrance hall on the right next to the windows & opp. side from the cafe. The coffee table area’s been reserved for SSiW and there may, or may not, be a sign on the coffee table confirming this :slightly_smiling_face: )

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Helo bawb - we’re continuing our usual pattern of meetups this week - do let me know if you have any questions or would like more info (you can send me a PM if you prefer) :slightly_smiling_face:

• 12:00 Tuesday 20th September/ dydd Mawrth 20ed Medi ( via Zoom - contact me for the login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 23th September/ dydd Gwener 23ain Medi ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside the entrance hall on the right next to the windows & opp. side from the cafe. The coffee table area’s been reserved for SSiW whether or not you can spot a sign saying this on the coffee table :slightly_smiling_face: )

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

1 Like

Helo John,
I’ve been given the link to your group via a roundabout connection through Learn Welsh Cardiff and Sue Ward. I live in Abingdon and have been learning Welsh for a while on Zoom, so would welcome the chance to come along on Friday and talk for real!
Diolch, Anne Paul Jones

1 Like

Helo Anne a chroeso! - it’s always a pleasure to welcome a new face to our group. We’ll look forward to seeing you on Friday! :slight_smile:
Hwyl am y tro
John

Diolch yn fawr, John.
Anne

1 Like

Diolch i bawb am sgwrs hyfryd heddiw. It was lovely to meet you Anne and Ruth today. Hope to see you both again soon. Hwyl am y tro. Bethan

1 Like

Helo bawb - it was a pleasure meeting newcomers Anne and Ruth at Friday’s meetup. For this last week in September, as usual we’ll be having our Tuesday and Friday meetup - do get in touch if you’d like to know more :slightly_smiling_face:

• 12:00 Tuesday 27th September/ dydd Mawrth 27ain Medi ( via Zoom - contact me for the login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 30th September/ dydd Gwener 30ain Medi ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside entrance hall to the right, next to the windows & opp. side from the cafe. The coffee table area’s been reserved for SSiW whether or not you can spot a sign saying this on the coffee table :slightly_smiling_face: )

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

This term’s events from Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwilym, the Oxford University Welsh Society. It looks like it’s mainly pubs and rugby but they have announced the date for the Welsh-language Christmas service, Dydd Llun 28 Tachwedd (Monday 28 November).

1 Like

Helo bawb - happily at last Friday’s meetup we were able to welcome two more new faces, PhD students Brooke and Rhodri. This week as usual there are meetups on Tuesday & Friday - do let me know if you’re thinking of joining us but would like more information :slightly_smiling_face:

• 12:00 Tuesday 4th October/ dydd Mawrth 4edd Hydref ( via Zoom - contact me for the login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 7th October/ dydd Gwener 7ed Hydref ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside entrance hall to the right, next to the windows & opp. side from the cafe. The coffee table area’s been reserved for SSiW, whether or not you can spot a sign saying this on the coffee table :slightly_smiling_face: )

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

1 Like

Helo bawb - at last Friday’s meetup we were able to welcome yet another newcomer, Osian.
Here are the usual details for this week’s meetups - do get in touch if you have any questions :slightly_smiling_face:

• 12:00 Tuesday 11th October/ dydd Mawrth 11eg Hydref ( via Zoom - contact me for the login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 14th October/ dydd Gwener 14eg Hydref ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside entrance hall to the right, next to the windows & opp. side from the cafe. The coffee table area’s been reserved for SSiW and there may be a sign confirming this on the coffee table :slightly_smiling_face: )

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Quick question - is anyone planning on going to the Oxford Male Voice Choir concert on Saturday? I haven’t been previously, but thought it might be nice; tickets appear still to be on sale; and possibly we could meet slightly in advance for a gwydrad & a sgwrs bach…

1 Like

Helo bawb - with @Betterlatethan @Anne-PJ @chris-roberts we had a good sgwrs at last Friday’s meetup, and here are the details for this week’s meetups.
Newcomers especially welcome! Do get in touch if you’d like more info :slightly_smiling_face:

• 12:00 Tuesday 18th October / dydd Mawrth 18ed Hydref ( via Zoom - contact me for the login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 21st October / dydd Gwener 21ain Hydref ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside entrance hall to the right, by the windows on opp. side from the cafe)

For our Friday meetups the coffee table area’s been reserved for SSiW and you may find this notice confirming this on the coffee table :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John
PS @RichardBuck, how was Saturday’s Oxford Male Voice Choir concert?

1 Like

Helo bawb - as usual we have meetups on Tuesday & Friday this week, but are there any of you who’d like to join us via Zoom but find Tuesday lunchtimes difficult? Do let me know if you do as it might be possible to change or have an additional session.
As always, all welcome - let me know if you’ve any questions or would like more info beforehand :slightly_smiling_face:

• 12:00 Tuesday 25th October / dydd Mawrth 25ain Hydref ( via Zoom - do get in touch if you need login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 28th October / dydd Gwener 28ain Hydref ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - inside entrance hall to the right, by the windows on opp. side from the cafe. The coffee table area’s been reserved for SSiW)

Also we’re hoping to arrange a Saturday (or maybe Thursday) :walking_woman:walk+sgwrs:walking_man: soon - do let me know if you might be interested :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Sorry, I shall not be there today. After my Covid booster, I am feeling a bit feeble. I hope to be there next week.
Hwyl,
Sue

2 Likes

Hope you’ll be feeling better soon, Sue
John

1 Like

We missed you today Sue. Hope you feel better soon. Bethan

1 Like