Oxford Welsh learners group

Hello,

Sadly we have no buses in the village so I am vey much housebound. There is a Community Bus I can sometimes use on a Thursdat morning but it is only a little mini van so space isn’t always available. That all sounds very miserable, it isn’t, I keep busy and love to learn all sorts of things.
Apart from no buses we have an abysmal mobile signal here and the Broadband isn’t much better. That with my eyesight means online itself can be a challenge. The SSiW course is tailor made for me and the knowledge that there are others out there a tremendous boost.
If you give me a day when you can get to either Oxford or Witney I will find a lift of somesort - there are some lovely volunteer groups who cater for the likes of me! It would be lovely to meet you.
I hope we can make it happen, meanwhile I will see if I can make sense of the Zoon instructions. This really is a VERY good game!
Liz

2 Likes

Hello Liz,
That is really awkward. We are lucky in Radley to have a regular bus service between Abingdon and Oxford. Thursday mornings could be possible for me, but I normally have a friend with me who doesn’t speak Welsh, so a bit of translation might be necessary. Let’s give it some thought later. Meanwhile, I hope to meet you on Zoom after my intensive course has finished. One more week to go.
Sue

Helo bawb - the same weekly meetup pattern as usual - all welcome from complete beginners to first language speakers - do get in touch if you’d like to know more! :slightly_smiling_face:

• 12:00 Tuesday 9th August / dydd Mawrth 9ed Awst ( via Zoom - contact me for the login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 12th August / dydd Gwener 12ed Awst (Weston Library’s ‘Space for Reading’ in Broad Street, Oxford. It’s in the Library’s entrance hall, by the windows on the opp. side from the cafe. There may be a sign on one of the tables confirming the space is booked for us, but don’t worry if not, it has been booked! :slightly_smiling_face: )

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Helo bawb - just to confirm we’re continuing the usual weekly meetup pattern as usual - do get in touch here, or via PM, if you’d like to know more! :slightly_smiling_face:

• 12:00 Tuesday 16th August / dydd Mawrth 16eg Awst ( via Zoom - contact me for the login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 19th August / dydd Gwener 19eg Awst (Weston Library’s ‘Space for Reading’ in Broad Street, Oxford, inside the entrance hall on the opp. sidefrom the cafe, by the windows. It’s been booked for SSiW and there’s likely to be a sign on the coffee table confirming this, but don’t worry if not :slightly_smiling_face: )

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

1 Like

Helo bawb - as usual, there’ll be the Tuesday virtual meetup and the Friday meetup in person to practise your Welsh - let me know here (or via PM) if you’d like more info! :slightly_smiling_face:

• 12:00 Tuesday 23rd August / dydd Mawrth 23ain Awst ( via Zoom - contact me for the login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 26th August / dydd Gwener 26ain Awst (Weston Library’s ‘Space for Reading’, Broad Street, Oxford, inside the entrance hall by the windows on opp. side from the cafe. The coffee table area’s been reserved for SSiW - there may be a sign on the coffee table confirming this, but don’t worry if not :slightly_smiling_face: )

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

1 Like

Some handy abbreviations shared by the Iaith group on Facebook. Of course, it being Welsh, even the abbreviations are quite long!

3 Likes

Helo bawb - a quick confirmation of this week’s meetups - let me know here (or via PM) if you’d like more info! :slightly_smiling_face:

• 12:00 Tuesday 30th August / dydd Mawrth 30ain Awst ( via Zoom - contact me for the login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 2nd September/ dydd Gwener 2ed Medi (Weston Library’s ‘Space for Reading’, Broad Street, Oxford, inside the entrance hall by the windows on opp. side from the cafe. The coffee table area’s been reserved for SSiW - there may be a sign on the coffee table confirming this, but don’t worry if not :slightly_smiling_face: )

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Hello John,
I got it all wrong last week, I am sorry. Please can I have the login details for this week. I miught be a little late but presumably I can log in as soon as I can?
Tahnks
Elizabeth

1 Like

Hello Elizabeth - yes, you can log in at any time during our Zoom sessions.
Do you still have the login details from last time? They’re the same every week but if you can’t find them now just let me know and I’ll resend them
Hwyl, John

The Feast is a new Welsh-language film showing at the Ultimate Picture Palace on Cowley Road next week:
https://uppcinema.com/show/the-feast/

I’d very much like to see it. Does anyone here want to join me? NB It is an 18-certificate horror!

I can’t go on Friday but I should be able to make any of the other three screenings.

2 Likes

Monday would suit me best - I’d seen it was on at the Phoenix, but hadn’t realized it was on God’s own Cowley Road, as ever was. Shall we?

1 Like

Gwych! See you inside!

Just booked - seat D6, if you want to make sure to be close / socially distanced / at the opposite end of the cinema :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just spotted a poster for the annual concert of the Oxford Welsh Male Voice Choir:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/an-evening-of-song-with-oxford-welsh-male-voice-choir-tickets-386883457837
Saturday 15 October, Oxford Town Hall, tickets £15

1 Like

Helo bawb - here are the details of this week’s meetups - let me know here (or via PM) if you’d like more info! :slightly_smiling_face:

• 12:00 Tuesday 6th September/ dydd Mawrth 6ed Medi ( via Zoom - contact me for the login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 9th September/ dydd Gwener 9ed Medi ( ‘Space for Reading’, Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford - it’s inside the entrance hall next to the windows on opp. side from the cafe. The coffee table area’s been reserved for SSiW - there may be a sign on the coffee table confirming this, but don’t worry if not :slightly_smiling_face: )

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John
PS @owen-mcknight @RichardBuck, how was the Welsh film?

Dan ni’n mynd i’w gweld nos yfory, so we’ll let you know then! (Trailer suggests stylish, disquieting, and odd.)

1 Like

You’re braver than me! I couldn’t handle the trailer! :rofl:
I’m looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

3 Likes

Given the chance of showers or storms, I’m going to suggest we go straight into the cinema rather than meeting for drinks beforehand. See you tonight!

1 Like

Hope you all enjoyed the film last night. It was lovely to meet you on zoom today Elizabeth :blush:. I hope you will join us again soon. Diolch i Chris a Sue hefyd am sgwrs diddorol. Cofion gorau Bethan

1 Like

Thank you, all three. See you again soon, I hope, Elizabeth. Zoom is always hard the first time. It will be easier next time, and you were doing very well. It probably didn’t help that Bethan and I speak “Southern” but you will soon get used to it, and most of the others speak “Northern”.
Sue

3 Likes