Ooh, look, some Manx!

I’ve tried the first three Manx lessons today. Not sure I can remember any of it! I see why beginners struggle now. I want to repeat the lessons again, but I will resist and keep moving forward.
As for navigation - I found Manx ok, but then really struggled to get back to Welsh. It was a while before I realised the buttons I was pressing were just changing the colour of the background! Doh!

1 Like

Nah, not believing this :slight_smile: Your native language is Slovene, you’re a Welsh speaker having learned through the medium of English, and as I recall you speak some German and Italian. You get to keep the “polyglot” label forever as far as I am concerned! :star:

1 Like

For people who aren’t already subscribers, is the Manx course partly or wholly free?

(It should not affect me, but I just want to know what to tell potential recruits).

Diolch.

For non-logged in if you choose Manx, the first lesson is available to all, no matter are you logged in or not, then for the next one you have to log in. What comes next I don’t know because I’m subscribed to Polyglot subscription + I’m a member of Growth Club so I can’t possible test this unless I create one more acount, which would be easy, but not fair though.

Or … if there exists a “test” acount or I’m allowed to create one, then I’d gladly test such “non-subscribed” things for the purpose of sharing things to those who are not on board yet. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi

I’m not subscribed to Polyglot or Growth Club so I had a look, I can access all level 1 challenges but it asks for payment when I click on level 2. Not sure if that’s what you wanted to know? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@mikeellwood Just to clarify…I am subscribed for Welsh only, and I can download all of Manx Level 1 (the first 10 Challenges). There is a fee to access Level 2.

Edited to add: Oops, posted at the same time as @nikkifoster :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great minds … and all that :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, that’s useful. Thanks. I’m guessing that the whole of level 1 is free to anyone, subscriber or not.
Thanks to @AnnaC also.

1 Like

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeees … that’s what we wanted to know.

Diolch yn fawr iawn. :slight_smile:

YAY! I’ve got a helper in “tech supporting” members! :slight_smile:

Diolch @AnnaC i ti hefyd. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, that’s right - Level 1 is free, Level 2 is pay-per-session - once we have enough material available (say about 50 or so sessions) we’ll discuss moving over to the Welsh low monthly sub approach… :slight_smile:

1 Like

The new Manx course is publicised on the isleofman.com website:

http://www.isleofman.com/News/details/79653/new-manx-language-on-line-course-launched

Gavin

4 Likes

Another press release from over here - this time from Manx Radio. http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/teacher-takes-boozy-manx-challenge/

2 Likes

WOW @aran! This gets more nad more sirious! :smile:

Now this is fully public, giving more challenge to you.

:slight_smile: Good luck!

1 Like

Wales on Sunday, which is a newspaper of sorts…

4 Likes

Hmmmm … what if I write little blog entry on the biggest portal in Slovenia I have acount on ???

The thought is very temtive … It would not have mostly any influence on how many people would learn Manx but …

It goes viral @aran. :smile:

2 Likes

so here we go: @aran started his challenge already I presume and all info about it you can find in this topic.

And it went viral as I’ve promissed in previous post, so he can (maybe) expect tosm support from Slovenia aswell.

You wouldn’t understand the article as it’s in Slovene, but generally I’ve presented the site, challenge and how it is ment to be and then I’ve given the links to the SSi Twitter, FB and courses on this site in case someone gets interested in learning something.

Pob lwc Aran!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Just for those who don’t read “Other languages” forum. @aran is stil doing very well. He will survive. at 20:30 UK time he’ll have his “final test” speaking Manx with Adrian and I have no doubt, considdering all day hard work and tired brains at the end, he’ll do just fine in that test too.

1 Like

Oh, they did this very quickly…

http://www.manx.net/tv/mt-tv/watch/79782/learn-manx-in-a-day

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Da iawn ti un waith mwy.

I’d play with GTranslate to write this in Manx, but … there’s no Manx in GTranslate … So Cymraeg should do the trick. :slight_smile:

And it was actually not so quick anyway. Great job. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not sure what others have found, but I at once tried to click on the SSi and I got nothing. After reading @tatjana and @AnnaC’s exchange, I tried again. Finally I tried clicking on FAQs and , from there, clicking on SSi… then I got the list of languages,
I always login directly to Welsh, since all the trouble I had getting sent into Spanish when I wanted Welsh!!!
ps. I listened to about 2 words of Manx and decided it is not for me!!