Now LIVE: 'Some Sex and a Hill - or How To Learn Welsh in 3 Easy Pints' by Aran Jones

Yes, anything that’s reasonably obvious from context is fine… :slight_smile:

I hope not! It seems there was some kind of ‘allow pre-orders’ setting that would have been the right option, but once it was published, the only option was to un-publish - and publishing again has a bit of a lag. It’s certainly not the aim to move from Tuesday, and fingers crossed we won’t need to.

1 Like

Hi Aran,

I’m happy to read, review blog but…I can’t find the book on either the US or U.K. Amazon store. Is it there yet? What is the title? I’ve searched using sex, hill, pint, Jones, Aran. Some interesting returns but nothing by you.

Okay, so I see we have to wait until Tuesday. I’llbe there. :slight_smile:

Can Dee remind us in the weekly email?

1 Like

Nope, not until Tuesday… :slight_smile:

Really looking forward to your input, Liz… :slight_smile:

Slightly off-topic but

That’s why I am here. If this “rule” wouldn’t be established I’d never come on here until being acknowledged with the language enough to read and understand. I was practically afraid to join for that matter. I actually was afraid to look at the forum thinking it’s only Welsh, behaved like a kid who has fear and “respect” to the olders and hides each time one older and respectful person looks at him. :slight_smile:

Totally on-topic:

I’M HARDLY WAITING for the launch of the book. My kindle app is burning like a rocket before taking off! :slight_smile:

You can spam social media with this until Tuesday! - haha :smile:

(Picture entirely created by me so there’s no copyright restriction! :slight_smile: )

5 Likes

Personally i think there’s nothing wrong in posting in welsh if you start a thread…if you reply in welsh on an english thread you should copy the translation.

I know at times i haven’t but at the time i was keen to practice. These days i try to remember to copy the translation and also why i started “be 'dach chi’n gwneud rwan”.

I do think there is a need for people to practice and i think SSIW is a good place for that as unlike some other forums people are very supportive and forgiving of mistakes.

I think its a shame that something that supports the welsh language has an english ‘only’ stance even if informal.

Sorry @petermescall. I was just telling my feelings of my old era of comming to SSiW and how I saw the whole thing. Of course there’s nothing wrong with Cymraeg, but yes, translations are surely welcome to newcommers or they can’t participate in some threads.

Your topic “Be dach chi’n gwneud nawr” is highly interesting and it’s real practice although I didn’t write in it for quite a time as I have nothing really interesting to tell. :slight_smile:

Dal ati! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

nothing to apologise for!!!

1 Like

I should add… i don’t have anything interesting to write in it either…i just put random stuff in so i can write in welsh!

2 Likes

Shw mae Peter, Dw i’n eisiau ysgriffenu yn Cymraeg hefyd ond dw i ddim yn gael digon geiriay ar y munud. Bydda i’n trio nes ymlaen.

Will there be a Welsh edition? (or perhaps the correct question should be “Will there be an English edition?”

2 Likes

[quote=“aran, post:39, topic:6219”]
[It’s always been a tricky line for us to walk [/quote]

Yup to both!
It’s a difficult thing, as Aran says, and I’m sure he is torn on it.

Though I understand where Aran is coming from, I really don’t think people would be put off by the occasional Welsh post (as on this thread earlier) and find it difficult to support a “no Welsh, only English outside particular threads” idea.

However, it’s a difficult thing.

1 Like

Aran certainly does not need someone to answer for him, but I am intrigued by your attitude.
So the following is just my opinion.

Do you think that nowadays because people can publish online (after taking the time and effort to write works) that no one should make money from writing?

I find this a bit of a bizarre idea.

(Unless you have some idea that because it is about Welsh that it is a hobby, not something people should make money from? No idea. That doesn’t make sense to me, unless you think of Welsh as some weird little confined ghetto where normal rules do not apply.)

Personally I’m thankful that Aran has put as many hours into SSiW for free as he has without trying to exploit it, and if he wants to try and sell a book about his time learning Welsh I can’t really see the problem.

9 Likes

You don’t need me (or @aran doesn’t need me) to react to this either but …I have to admit I was a bit surprised upon this sentence. I stand for the fact that every penny comes handy no matter how (leagally of course) you earn it and if this is a book and about something what is obviously in general (here) interest, why not?

Those 3+ GBP I’m gladly to give. If you would know how much one little booklet costs by us in Slovenia? Even e-books are all more then 5 €.

We don’t need money but yet money makes the world go round … right?

Dal ati Aran! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@tatjana fach, is there no end to your talents?
And you scared to try the Forum? It is tragic if folk like you don’t find out at once how good it is!!

I hope this does not result!! Authors have enough trouble getting published in the first place. It takes a lot of effort to write a book. I only ever got published by amateurs and never managed to sell a book professionaly, but my writing still took time. OK I enjoyed it, but enjoying your work doesn’t mean you can do it for free. I enjoyed working in medical research, but I did have to eat!! I could not agree more with Owain and @tatjana about this! @aran should make as much from his book as any other author with a similar sized readership!!

3 Likes

Indeed it is.

I’m minded to think of welsh chat meetings where i frequently find i dont understand people or that i cant find the words. I’m happy to have things explained to me.

I know its different here as we aren’t necessarily on here to practise, however for those that do wish to practise i think it perfectly reasonble to allow it.

Maybe there should be a language practice section of the forum?

1 Like

In answer to why does @aran feel the need to make money…

Obviously i’m not speaking for him but SSIW is a business. I’m sure its not something Aran does solely for the love of it, although there is clearly more than a little of that!

It may just be a misunderstanding and @HowlsedhesServices may not be aware that this is someone’s business after all.

However let’s not overreact to anything. There’s more than enough of that nonsense on facebook etc!

1 Like

The amount of free stuff you get on the Welsh side of things, (rather than SSi) I would say the “for the love of it” is the main driving force there!
At least that is my impression, and one of the main reasons I help to push SSiW whenever I get a chance, on the forum and off, for whatever that is worth.

Given that Course 1 and (I think) Level 1 are completely free anyway, and access to the rest is only £5 a month, I have a feeling that that’s only just breaking even.

Indeed. I’m a teacher. I totally get this side of things. :slight_smile:

Ah, we have both worked for organisations where your love of the thing is the main thing that keeps you there, I take it!

But yes, seriously I really don’t think it is even that. I’m certainly not regarding SSiW as something which produces a living wage- if I did, my attitude towards would be very different, rightly or wrongly.