New Manx things

8 new challenges of the Manx course were just released!

That is all. Enjoy :slight_smile:

9 Likes

That is all? That is great! :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you!! :smile:

1 Like

Woohoo !! Great ! Thank you very much.

1 Like

Right, seems as though I’ve got a new intensive day to arrange - Day 2 of my Manx journey… :slight_smile:

[Well, slight cheat, because I had a quick burst of revision on the way over to the island last year, and then a couple of days of hearing plenty of Manx and trying to use bits… but in terms of actual focused learning, it’s still day 2… :slight_smile: ]

1 Like

Is there a Manx revival going on over there?

1 Like

They’re doing a lot of excellent work, and have some good people involved, and lot of support - so I’d say that’s a yes… :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hello, I’m doing the new lessons and I enjoy them very much. I noticed some spots, where the English prompt is not complete. It is not really bad, but maybe it’s easy to fix.
level 2, lesson 10: about 14.55: “Anyway, I met a young woman.” The omitted part is: …who works with your sister.
level 3, lesson 1 about 5.35: “Yes, I enjoyed it very much, thank you.” The omitted part is: It was very interesting

2 Likes

@kinetic - pinging for checking… :slight_smile:

Thanks for pointing that out! :star: As a result of this problem report I found a greater thing which needed fixing too, and that’s now been done, so the files have been regenerated and are currently with Jeff for post-processing, and should be replaced shortly :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi Ifan, I listened to the rest of the new Manx lessons and spotted these
Challenge 3.3: at 9.24 “Yes, I enjoyed it very much, thank you.” The omitted part is: It was very interesting
Challenge 3.6: at 17.00 “Anyway, I met a young woman.” The omitted part is: …who works with your sister_

1 Like

Diolch, Brigitte! tagging @kinetic :slight_smile:

Yeah, that’s the same two recordings - they (along with a few others) are fixed in the new versions, but those aren’t out yet :slight_smile: Jeff wanted to do some work on automating the post-processing (which is a great idea as far as I’m concerned, automation is always good!) and since these Manx lessons were already published, and there were only a few minor fixes, it seemed reasonable to give him time to do that :slight_smile: I’ll let you know when they do get updated…

2 Likes

Hi Ifan, I’m sorry, I didn’t want to put pressure on you or Jeff. I didn’t read your post carefully enough and thought, that the lessons were already replaced.
As you wrote, these problems are not too serious and can wait to be fixed.
Thank you for your hard work. I really enjoy these lessons.
Gura mie mooar ayd. Ta mee goaill soylley mooar gynsagh Gaelg.

2 Likes

I think things are ready to go, but because the new automated audio processing is done with brand new code, I’d love to have someone do some checking on the results. If I post 'em to Trello (on the old Importing Team page), would you have a listen?

1 Like

Of course, I’d like to. But I’m afraid I can’t do everything today or tomorrow, because I won’t be at home tomorrow morning and afternoon. But I’d post everything as soon as it is ready.

1 Like

OK, these are now updated. @brigitte, I gather you were involved with proof-listening them before Jeff released them back to me, so gura mie mooar ayd son shen! :star:

2 Likes

What an amazing thing this is… speaking a Gaelic tongue in minutes… seconds! I am surprised that Manx, and I assume the other Gaelic languages, seem to have the same grammatical structure as English. Do they ever differ?

Often! But they’ve also been influenced a lot by English over the years - at least, Welsh has, so I’m presuming Manx is the same… @adriancain will be able to confirm… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I imagine so on the influence. I’m really excited about learning Gaelic. I told my wife I had learned some last night, but all I could muster up was, “Honey, I learned loyart Gaelg, last night!”, and told her that “you” in Manx is “oo”.

1 Like