Need a practice partner

To open a group chat in Slack, type either /hangout or /zoom or /jitsi (whichever platform you prefer) into your post and hit ‘return’ (usually people post links in the #hangouts channel for group chats), and that should prompt a link to click to open a chat window. Then copy and paste the url of that window and post that for others to click on.
If you want to notify specific people, you can add @their name.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there anyone midway through level two on the southern course willing to be my chat partner? I know, I know… I should already have a chat partner by now , ond, hey dyna fywyd i chi.
Gareth M

Hi, Gareth (Croeso!). I’d be happy to have a talk with you, I’ve “finished” all three levels, but am by no means fluent, and I know I need to do a lot more speaking (I’ve been running away from doing it, tbh, but that has to stop!). Let me know if you’d like to give it a go. Most times are good for me,

Steve

Shwmae Steve, Yes, I’d love to give it a go. During recent weeks I have been walking for an hour at the end of the day and listing and talking to one 30minute lesson each way and I feel really comfortable with the content but then when I try to say the simplest things I need to reach for a dictionary and I struggle so hopefully I would be too difficult to converse with. I’m fortunate enough to still be working so I’d be hoping to chat of an evening. Are you free tomorrow anytime between 6pm and 9pm. We could always give it a go for a half an hour if that’s OK. If not convenient I’ll be happy to fit in with you and could do the middle of the day so long as I know which days so I can block out my diary for work.
Hwyl
Gareth

Sorry, I’ve only just seen this. I couldn’t have chatted at that point in any case. I seem to have a surprising number of time commitments for someone who’s at home all the time!

Hi. Tomorrow is fine. I’ll put it in the calendar. 6pm is good for me. Would this be via Zoom?

I can sympathise with the issue of trying to make sentences. I need to acquire some more vocabulry (as well as clarify some of the grammar!). Every conversation will help, though.

I can do Zoom but I don’t know how to set up a meeting. I can do Skype or Whatsapp too. You chose. 6pm is good for me. I anticipate a few conversations that don;t flow too well. Hopefully with practice we’ll get more fluid though.

WhatsApp might be easier than Zoom, so shall we try that? I’m not very au fait (to mix languages!) with adding new contacts in WhatsApp. Do you know how to do that?

Ok, fine by me. You’ll find me from my phone number 07885484788.

Thanks, will do.

A word of gentle warning, guys n gals - this forum is accessible to public outside of SSiW, so for your own security, it would be best if you exchanged phone numbers and personal email addresses through a private message rather than posting them here in the general forum.

If you’re not sure about how to do this, click on the person’s name and choose the ‘Message’ button. This will open to a page that is private between you and them (you can add more than one person to the message by using an @ before their name.) You’ll be alerted to a private message being received by a green dot near your avatar in the top banner.

2 Likes

you still need a practice partner

Thanks Siaron, I didn’t realise direct messages were public.

direct/private messages are fine - the same thing. It’s posts here in the general forum threads that are public.

1 Like